Ghillie Suit vs Pop Up Blind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Perfectionitz

Re: Ghillie Suit vs Pop Up Blind

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:52 am

Country wrote:Ghille suit. If you haven't yet, check out The Hunting Public. They've got some awesome ghille suit hunts.

https://youtu.be/kp3ncZM6N-c

This is a really good one.

I agree. After watching this video last season, I went and bought a ghillie this summer. There are several mods you can make to your bow arm to make it easier to shoot with. You can tighten it with zip ties or some camo athletic tape, or you can simply pull out the camo strands on the inside of the arm. Whatever you do, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!! You want to be confident that you can successfully shoot your bow when you get in the field.

I can't see that using a pop-up blind would be anywhere near as useful as the ghillie. Too much set up, too much noise, too much time. The ghillie will give you options for mobility based on sign and wind direction and thermals and anything else that, well, pops up!

I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:54 am

bowfreak8 wrote:I'm really interested in trying out a Ghillie suit. Anyone have any recommendations on which one to buy?

I found mine on www.ghilliesuitwarehouse.com they have a ton of different options. I went for the full suit, but realized after that I really only needed the top. My bottom half is really going to be concealed by the vegetation when moving through the grass.
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:56 am

The Silence wrote:Greyhunter, I use a product called Carbon Synergy. It's basically activated carbon powder. I'm sure you can find a video on this. All I basically do is dump a certain amount of the power in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Stir it up good. Then dunk your ghillie suit up and down in the bucket a number of times. Wring out the suit and then hang it outside and let it drip dry. You're basically reloading the garment with activated carbon. The carbon itself is messy outside of the water but I have never had it rub off all over me once I've dipped the ghillie suit. I know that guys also use this stuff as a "dry wash" on more remote type hunting. It may discolor the suit slightly, but from my experience, very little.

I bought some of this stuff when I first started hunting, but never really used it because I found the BEAST and started to abandon my scent control routine and subscribed more to the controlling my scent routine. But I still have a bunch of the stuff and was going to do the carbon dip with my gear at some point this summer before the season. Have you found that it works well?
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:06 am

Perfectionitz wrote:
bowfreak8 wrote:I'm really interested in trying out a Ghillie suit. Anyone have any recommendations on which one to buy?

I found mine on http://www.ghilliesuitwarehouse.com they have a ton of different options. I went for the full suit, but realized after that I really only needed the top. My bottom half is really going to be concealed by the vegetation when moving through the grass.

Thanks Buddy I will have to check it out.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:53 pm

A worthy mention is ASAT’s 3D leafy suit.

Less bulk but still does an amazing job at breaking up your outline.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Groundpounder

Unread postby Groundpounder » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:26 pm

Greyhunter, I made mine. After seeing what's available to buy there isn't much comparison. There are lots of tutorials online. To condition I just do a typical scout sniper drag/conditioning regime. Wear it and crawl through the nasty stuff or to save some skin tie a rope around it and drag it through the brush, mud, whatever you hunt. If the Scent control/carbon crowd is your thing you could try that. I prefer my rag to smell/look like the earth and what I hunt. Spent about 30$ and some time on it. It's as good at fooling people as it is animals. Don't be surprised if the squirrels/chippys/birds run across your body or land on you. Happens every year. Good luck.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:10 am

if you decide to check out the kill suits they make two versions - one is traditional ghillie material - the other is lightweight netting material - the netting material is what I use and it rolls up as tight as they ASAT suit. they make a sapper model that is a longer top that is all you need - don't have to get pants that way. I own both the kill suit and ASAT 3D - I prefer the kill suit on the ground (both green and brown versions) and then use ASAT more in my tree set ups.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:39 am

Twenty Up wrote:A worthy mention is ASAT’s 3D leafy suit.

Less bulk but still does an amazing job at breaking up your outline.

X2. I love mine.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Iabow

Unread postby Iabow » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:10 am

Main things I have found are 1) Break up the head and shoulder outline 2) Cut off or use a arm guard on the bow arm and some the chest to prevent interference 3) like always, pick your time to draw slowly 4) PRACTICE like you would hunt. If you are expecting more then 2 pair of eyes the pop up is the way to go for the simple fact of drawing. With the ghillie I have seen they don't always spook if caught but will turn towards you and even step closer to try to figure you out.

For a Beast hunt i think the ghillie is the only way to go 99% of the time in my mind over the pop up. Up close and personal is a whole new game then a tree stand! I usually try to get back a little further away from where I expect the buck to travel then when in a tree as well. My first bow buck was on the ground at 5 yds the last 15 mins of the last day of the season in snow camo with my dad's old Oneida Eagle bow cause mine had string derail in the cold, talk about a rush.

Those Hunting Public ground assault vids are great.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:39 am

You don’t need a GUillie in thick cover, you don’t even need camo. Just let the wind be your god.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Ditz

Unread postby Ditz » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:36 pm

I greatly prefer ghillie over ground blind when hunting from the ground. I made one (lots of video tutorials online), and have a store bought suit. DIY ghillie is a fun and cheap project. I pack it in and put it on once I get to the spot I want to set up at. One mistake I did make when I first started using one was not trimming the strings on my bow arm and having them get caught in my cams when I went to draw my bow. I thought I would be aware enough to not let this happen, but in the heat of the moment some how it did, and cost me a deer. I also rarely ever use the pants, and find the jacket and hat to be plenty. There is just something exciting about occasionally getting out of the tree and hunting out in the open, on the ground at the deers level.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”