Setup on Long rounded points.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Setup on Long rounded points.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:00 am

How do you guys setup on long slender Points several hundred yards long rounded at the end?Obviously the buck is bedded around the rounded tip.

I’m noticing several winds the points seem unhuntable through either wind or access route.

If enter from below attempting to t the spot the wind pulls scent back up onto the point then the scent pools and flows down the point torward the buck. If walk alongside the point we’re burning the entry. If a small buck comes through before the shooter setup’s blown.

Narrow points seem to create wind swirl often.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Setup on Long rounded points.

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:45 am

Assuming im following correctly... id say it calls for a off wind, setting up lower than the 1/3 while hoping it works or morning hunts. Possibly backing off is an option as well
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:10 am

The thermal seems to pull uphill then it piles. Right before dark won’t that same scent of thermal drop back onto my setup or will it hang around up top?

Thanks Dark setting up on off wind further back was what I was thinking also.

The rounded end seems to just pull everything up to it from all directions. So I’m guessing I need a off wind and hunt further back on the bottom third.

Morning hunting I would think would be extremely difficult it’s just a a lot of wind swirling bottoms full of creeks chances of setting up correctly on j hook.

It’s one of the hardest spots I’ve found to setup in.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:13 am

I have several of these setups. I'm coming in along the top of the ridge on a just off wind. Once I get close to where I need to be I'll cut in towards the bed as far as I can risk it then set up. I'm expecting the buck to get up and move back up the point and out the top of the ridge.

These are my favorite setups. I look for these in particular. I think the buck feels really secure on a long slender point because if he thinks he has the wind right, he thinks nothing can get down that point without him knowing it.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:42 am

Im with RidgeGhost as how I setup on this type of ridge...also my favorite to hunt

These lone narrow ridges with rounded ends also seem to provide bedding for several different wind directions....not to mention a very short distance a buck has to travel under wind shifts during the day if he wants to relocate when the wind shifts
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:47 am

Ridge do you notice a lot of thermal pull all around the circular peninsulas that you hunt?

Its a Peninsula with a thin entry only 12 feet wide or so the buck seems to have 300 degree or better scent detection from thermal.

You are correct the exit trail going through the 12 foot wide area is heavy walking up the thin ridge.
12 feet more it would be a island.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:48 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:How do you guys setup on long slender Points several hundred yards long rounded at the end?Obviously the buck is bedded around the rounded tip.

I’m noticing several winds the points seem unhuntable through either wind or access route.

Where I go I've found those to be really tough. And that must be why they bed there. My best success has come in the rain in the afternoon. It's easier to sneak in close in the rain (but painfully slow). And the rain seems to dampen the swirling effect of the wind, at least where I've tried it. The key is getting the direction of travel right. Thickness of vegetation determines how close I can get. Assuming the bedding spot is on the round point but not at the extreme left or right of the round then I try to enter walking along the length of the ridge on the leeward side and just below the 1/3 elevation, and I try to set up at the elevation I walked in on because in my few applications the targets were going down to the bottom first before going up (unlike the others who have replied). I'm looking down and trying to get a shot below me and across from where I am set up. That's all based on expected direction of travel. But if the wind is full perpendicular to the ridge and I think he's bedded at the extreme left/right of the round then I'll enter from the bottom on the opposite side of the round point, walk diagonally to get to about the 1/2 elevation (because wind tends to wrap around the point and any higher he would get me), and I walk around the round point to set up. Hope all that makes sense. FYI everything I written is based on the work of others I've read about here.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:56 am

RidgeGhost wrote:I think the buck feels really secure on a long slender point because if he thinks he has the wind right, he thinks nothing can get down that point without him knowing it.

Its called false sense of security
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:05 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Ridge do you notice a lot of thermal pull all around the circular peninsulas that you hunt?

Its a Peninsula with a thin entry only 12 feet wide or so the buck seems to have 300 degree or better scent detection from thermal.

You are correct the exit trail going through the 12 foot wide area is heavy walking up the thin ridge.
12 feet more it would be a island.

I don't feel I have enough milkweed experience to answer that one. I'll be sure to pay more attention to it this year. Always lots more to learn. Sound like a great setup if his destination is back up the ridge. The ones where they drop down, I can't help much. I know darkknight and flingin hunt that way a lot

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”