2018 Trials and Tribulations of Farmland Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SD_Bowhunter

2018 Trials and Tribulations of Farmland Hunting

Unread postby SD_Bowhunter » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:02 am

I want to document my first full season using beast style hunting/scouting tactics in farm country. I have starting scouting for buck beds two years ago and this spring I really started to understand how they bed. I hope to bring you any success and I am sure plenty of failures as I start this season. I plan on providing some video documenting my set ups, aerial maps marking the bedding, etc. I found this to be the most helpful when I was first learning the beast style hunting philosophy.

A little sample from this past weekends scouting trip. It is hard to see the small trees in the aerial so the video should give you a better idea. I think the first time I sit this location I will hunt the yellow dot farthest to the west. Easy access and I can get a pretty good view of the beds. It will also allow for me to hunt it on any North or South winds as well as avoid getting send too close to the bedding location. Any better ideas of how to attack this spot??

High Level Aerial:

Close Up Aerial:
Yellow: Potential ground ambush locations
Red: Water has dried up and is mostly cattails

Video of Beds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAIVwoAX41Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHoAeRoO_Qo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHoAeRoO_Qo

RidgeGhost
500 Club

Re: 2018 Trials and Tribulations of Farmland Hunting

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:43 am

Good stuff man, copy over to the journals page
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:29 am

Nice post man! Tuning in for sure and way to get out in the nastiness!

I will say that I enjoy scouting farm land but have yet to find anything easy about it besides no hills. Also these smart bucks sure do have things locked down for themselves bc its hard to find good trees and proper access can be very odd routes. The best part about it though is bigger bucks and wind conditions are much more favorable. Some of that grass they are laying in doesnt look super tall so sight could be an issue. Honestly man the way the place is laid out id consider some ground hunting or stalking. I have been told to hunt these spots early when the season opens so ill say the same to you. Good luck
SD_Bowhunter

Unread postby SD_Bowhunter » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:32 am

Darkknight54 wrote:Nice post man! Tuning in for sure and way to get out in the nastiness!

I will say that I enjoy scouting farm land but have yet to find anything easy about it besides no hills. Also these smart bucks sure do have things locked down for themselves bc its hard to find good trees and proper access can be very odd routes. The best part about it though is bigger bucks and wind conditions are much more favorable. Some of that grass they are laying in doesnt look super tall so sight could be an issue. Honestly man the way the place is laid out id consider some ground hunting or stalking. I have been told to hunt these spots early when the season opens so ill say the same to you. Good luck

The video is a little deceptive on the height of the grass they are bedding in. I am 6'4" and it was easily to my waist if not a little higher. I think my plan will be to do a ground attack as there are no trees nearby. Might have to go find myself a ghillie suit. Thanks for the advice!
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:58 am

I’m in ND and those pics look very similar to what I hunt. I’ve been glassing a lot lately and two nights ago I found a great buck in a rock pile in the middle of a corn field. The corn is finally high enough to hide deer and they are really moving into it now. Deer seem to bed very randomly at this time of year. I glassed two does in the middle of a 160 acre wheat field early last evening. I could only see their heads when they stood up. They laid back down and vanished. Rock piles, fence lines, sloughs, tree rows tall grass, and crops all act as bedding. No trees around makes it tough. Hiding in the inside corners of standing sunflowers or cornfields is a good tactic or open slough or drown out areas inside the field itself. I’ve noticed the deer move in daylight inside these sanctuaries more often than you think.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”