2018 broadhead choice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ditz

Re: 2018 broadhead choice

Unread postby Ditz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:54 pm

Was going to use 100 grain Ramcat Originals again this year, but think I'm going to order some Tooth of the Arrow 4-blade 1" diameters and see how I like them. Been hearing lots of good things about them and really like the one-piece construction.

OHBB24

Unread postby OHBB24 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:51 pm

I'm going to likely go spitfire Maxx, best trails I've ever seen. I was just curious and found some interesting takes. If spitfire Maxx isn't a go I'm thinking about slicktrick grizzgricks.
Itchy Bones

Unread postby Itchy Bones » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:28 pm

Easton 5 mm axis with 50 grains of brass up front & 100 G5 Montech broad heads. fletched with 3, 3" max stealth vanes slight offset with a helical.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:08 am

for the longbow: 175 grain non-vented 3 blade and 2 blade VPA

for the compound: 100 grain non-vented 3 blade VPA, 100 grain 4 blade Muzzy, and 2 blade Rage

I think I'm done with expandables when I use my last remaining Rage. I'm intrigued by the Simmons line of broadheads and plan on picking up some for both the compound and stickbow
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:51 am

All I have used is Rage my whole bow hunting life (about 9 years). With that being said, I am ready for a change after a non-recovery last year (not that it was all the broad heads fault). This is probably a DUMB question, but oh well; , for you guys with fixed (which is what I think I am going to try), what do you do for practice? Just shoot the real broad heads? Do you worry about them getting dull? I realize you use field points most of the time probably while practicing, but what about when you want to try the real broad head at a target? Or, do you just have one sacrificial broad head for practice?

Sorry for the questions, just have wondered that for a while and interested in your opinions.

I am leaning towards Muzzy...something that has been around that long must have something figured out....
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:04 am

Chuck B wrote:All I have used is Rage my whole bow hunting life (about 9 years). With that being said, I am ready for a change after a non-recovery last year (not that it was all the broad heads fault). This is probably a DUMB question, but oh well; , for you guys with fixed (which is what I think I am going to try), what do you do for practice? Just shoot the real broad heads? Do you worry about them getting dull? I realize you use field points most of the time probably while practicing, but what about when you want to try the real broad head at a target? Or, do you just have one sacrificial broad head for practice?

Sorry for the questions, just have wondered that for a while and interested in your opinions.

I am leaning towards Muzzy...something that has been around that long must have something figured out....

I save old blades for practicing and swap them out for hunting with sharp replacements.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
CarolinaKid

Unread postby CarolinaKid » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:50 am

Just my .02 from reaching through these:

I’ve lost deer with a rage as well as with a QAD exodus; It’s all about shot placement if you ask me.

I have now stuck with 2 Broadheads in my quiver because of this: rage hypodermics or Magnus black hornets.

If there’s any doubt my bow is out of time, or something isn’t feeling right, or it’s super windy, I use the hypodermics. They fly accurate out to 50/60 even with a poorly tuned bow.

If nothing has happened otw to a hunt and I feel my bow is in sync, I use black hornets. They are accurate out to 60, but everything needs to be tuned.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:17 pm

Chuck B wrote:All I have used is Rage my whole bow hunting life (about 9 years). With that being said, I am ready for a change after a non-recovery last year (not that it was all the broad heads fault). This is probably a DUMB question, but oh well; , for you guys with fixed (which is what I think I am going to try), what do you do for practice? Just shoot the real broad heads? Do you worry about them getting dull? I realize you use field points most of the time probably while practicing, but what about when you want to try the real broad head at a target? Or, do you just have one sacrificial broad head for practice?

Replace the blades before its go time
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:39 am

Holy Cow. If this thread were anywhere else, it would be "rage in the cage" x 100.......................clearly the rage marketing machine has not that much effect here .....lol.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
JSnake

Unread postby JSnake » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:12 am

I'll either use QAD Exodus or Ramcats...both in the 125 gr flavor
bowpackerrob

Unread postby bowpackerrob » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:11 pm

Iron will outfitters 125. Love the cut on impact myself
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:30 am

Dave.Bechtel wrote:I've been using rage for years but this year I'm switching to DirtNap DRT's.

X2, I'll never shoot a Rage again...

DirtNap DRT's for me.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:34 am

STEEL FORCE FOR ME
whitetailjunky2138
Facebook: Max Mongrello

Unread postby whitetailjunky2138 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:25 am

Easton FMJ's with swhacker 100 grain. They have yet to fail me. May try the G5 havoc
whitetailjunky2138
Facebook: Max Mongrello

Unread postby whitetailjunky2138 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:25 am

Easton FMJ's with swhacker 100 grain. They have yet to fail me. May try the G5 havoc

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”