Reviewing my first kill...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Perfectionitz

Reviewing my first kill...

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:09 pm

I was scouting out a bunch of aerials yesterday and I realized that I never marked the spot where I found my first deer last season. I started going back through all the photos I took and also noticed something else. I think I was just so caught up in the moment of recovering my first deer, that all this other stuff went out the window.

This is the picture of my deer, you can barely see him in the back center of the picture laid down in the grass. I started thinking about how he was laying and realized he was wind to back with cover behind and watching his backtrail. Then, while looking at the picture, I noticed another bed for an east wind in the foreground right under that other little scrub tree. I didn’t even consider at the time that he might have settled down in a primary bedding area. I had gut shot him and he had lost some entrails on some brush not too far behind where I found him, so I figured he just had had enough after that and just laid down. Now, I’m thinking this may have been an actual bedding area that he was aiming for and I was just too excited at the time to notice. Definitely going to be heading back out to this location this summer for a scout and some observation.

Lesson learned, never stop looking around and scouting, no matter how tired or excited you are. There is always something to Learn!

I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: Reviewing my first kill...

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:13 pm

Indeed!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:42 pm

That looks like a bedding area to me.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:45 pm

Many of the bucks I have shot have made it back to either the bed they came out of, or a different bedding area, and many times when scouting bedding areas I find old dead bucks.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:21 am

This brings to mind a couple of recent experiences. The neighbors wounded a 3.5 yr old 10 pt. in late youth season 2016. I found him in his bed. This past season, I made a bad rifle shot on my 2017 Firearms buck. :oops: I found him too, in a well used bed. Both were gut shot.
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:12 pm

Thanks for the input guys! Good to get some confirmation on what I was thinking/feeling.
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”