9FC Podcast - Dr. Sheppard & Deer Movement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gjs4
500 Club

Re: 9FC Podcast - Dr. Sheppard & Deer Movement

Unread postby gjs4 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:51 pm

I find the litmus of fanfare on here to be interesting.

Read his book a couple times, and as with all that i read, agreed with some, disagreed with some and left thinking I bought a book and should be scouting where I hunt more. Liked his approach and diligence with data but can’t say “my local herd” mirrors it.

Green and growing... Or red and rotting
JoeRE
500 Club

Re: 9FC Podcast - Dr. Sheppard & Deer Movement

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:13 am

I gotta say I really liked this podcast. Some of the patterns he describes aren't exactly what I see but his perspective on primary factors - wind, cloud cover, temperature to be pretty thought provoking but I am not sure I agree 100% on the lack of importance of barometric pressure....to me it seems a day with a higher barometer but the same temp and wind speed almost always has more deer movement than a lower barometer. BUT, he probably has more data than I do so far anyway :lol:

I do the same thing that he does mining NOAA weather data and aligning it with observations...I just rely more on trail camera photos than hunt observations. I think either has their pros and cons.

Its well worth a listen by anyone interested in this sort of thing though!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”