Beast-style hunting = more predator sightings?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

J Gilbert
Facebook: Instagram: Jonathan Gilbert

Beast-style hunting = more predator sightings?

Unread postby J Gilbert » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:10 am

Morning guys,

I was practicing some bed scouting over the weekend at a nearby state park and saw, at different times over the two hours I was there, two separate coyotes and one red fox. I've been patrolling this area for over 4 years now and have seen a fox exactly once in that time.

I'm wondering if your sightings of predators have increased as you've started hunting beast-style. The goal seems to be to hunt like a predator, so I feel like seeing actual predators out hunting for their life would be an indication that you're in the right places and are properly taking advantage of the topography and wind as an animal would.

As an aside, this was my first trip ever scouting for beds, found 3 buck beds exactly where they should be- the day was a huge success/confidence booster for me

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Beast-style hunting = more predator sightings?

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:43 am

I think I have seen more coyotes with 3 years in since finding this site. Can think of more than a few times instead of the buck being in the bedding area, a coyote or group of coyotes was there instead
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:36 am

Yes the sightings are up, coyotes, a fox, and many birds of prey... including a falcon swooping about 4' from my head!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:04 pm

when im hunting buck beds it either going to be a buck or a bear. i find the bears always steel the best buck beds.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:49 pm

Predators are ultra sensitive to human intrusion. So moving around hunting new spots will certainly put more predators in front of you than hunting the same spot over and over. I have shot a lot of coyotes while bow hunting for deer, and passed even more so as not to spook a buck. A lot of hunters never see coyotes in the same areas I hunt.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:54 pm

dan wrote:Predators are ultra sensitive to human intrusion. So moving around hunting new spots will certainly put more predators in front of you than hunting the same spot over and over. I have shot a lot of coyotes while bow hunting for deer, and passed even more so as not to spook a buck. A lot of hunters never see coyotes in the same areas I hunt.

This is a tough spot for me!

I HATE Coyotes (may not have emphasized hate enough :lol: ) based on their impact to fawns/turkeys etc, and normally tell the guys I hunt with (and my son) the moment you see one, your deer hunt changes to a coyote hunt. But I'm ALWAYS worried about messing up the deer. I guess the priority changes based on how confident you are that you are on a specific buck? Specific time (ie close to getting down)?

Guess I'm asking if there is a specific trigger for you that causes you to pass or shoot? Or if it's just a 'feel' thing?
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:07 am

I would think it has to do with the correlation of being on edges. All animals are edge creatures. To find beds, you walk the edges first. If you are where they are, you will see them more often.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:25 pm

Predators aren’t dumb. They know where the food is
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:43 pm

I've run into several large bears on hunting and scouting trips, always an adventure. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”