The Ballad of a Boogieman

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

The Ballad of a Boogieman

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:48 am

Per request I decided I will share my journey. In no way is this intended to be a "how to" or anything educational. It's simply my personal journey of ups and downs that led me to where I currently am. I'm far from special just a rural country man who has spent a great portion of his life in the woods and water. I don't store my gear in totes, I don't own magical clothing, I don't always wear Camo or rubber boots, I don't spray down with mystical potions, I don't shower before every hunt. I pee and chew tobacco from the stand, I sometimes wear the same clothes repeatedly and I have no problems wearing blue jeans on stand. But I do always pay attention to what the air currents are doing and where I'm placing my feet. I found the beast by hearing a podcast with Dan, it was different. Wasn't the typical infomercial podcast pushing product. I visited the beast and saw real world discussions about tactics and learning. Not a bunch of can't live without product recommedations. I've been hooked ever since! I'm truly surprised anyone would care to hear my story, so many great hunters here and I am just a simple farm country guy who enjoys a good laugh. But here it goes! Let's take a walk.........

THE WONDER YEARS

As far back as I can remember I have always had a burning passion for anything outdoor related. I recall getting a huffy bicycle for my 9th birthday and I road that sucker everywhere with my fishing rod. A lot of my friends said they liked to fish but what I had was more than like. I did it everyday from 9 all the way through highschool. I get teased to this day by old timers asking me where's my huffy.
First fish I ever caught.
Caught this one in a pond that wasn't suppose to have any fish. I remember riding that huffy 100 mph holding my catch trying to get home and show dad what I caught.

Around that same time my dad took me deer hunting for the very first time. And once again it sunk it's hooks in me and I wanted to do it everyday. Not gonna lie times were not exactly tough. My father leased 2500 acres for a whopping $250. Me and him were the only ones who hunted it. From the low pressure, 2.5 month gun season and a healthy deer population seeing deer was pretty easy despite me not knowing a single thing. We were allowed 6 deer each per season, 2 bucks and 4 doe. From the age of 10 until 17 I tagged out every season. Really thought this was how deer hunting is everywhere, boy was I in for a real treat!
Some pics from the early days..

In the mid 90s the big whitetail industry boom came to TX and it came with gusto. High fences were going up everywhere, getting permission to hunt turned into a full time job. My junior year in highschool we recieved word that the lease we hunted was going up from the $250 we paid to $2,500 a gun and they were adding 20 more hunters. And oh yeah no kids allowed. I remember how p/o I was, but it turned out to be a blessing.I didn't hunt my senior year and infact didn't hunt for another 7 years that I was in the Air Force. Upon completing my duty I once again returned to the area I call home and decided it was time to get serious about these dead gum whitetails! That's all I got for now..... will pick back up when I get a chance. Next up RUDE AWAKENING!

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Re: The Ballad of a Boogieman

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:06 am

Good stuff Boogie. Looking forward to more. 8-)
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:36 am

I agree with Dewey, look forward to the rest.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:36 am

Love it kiddo!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:11 pm

Good stuff so far.

Man do I hate cliffhangers :?
:lol:
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:57 pm

I wondered what state you hunted boogie, looking forward to more!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:20 pm

:clap:

Good stuff boogie!

$250 for 2500 acres....I could swing that cost :lol:
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:23 am

:clap:
Very cool. Got a kick out picturing a little kid with a big fish and fishing pole pedaling his huffy like crazy down the rd.

I bet that 2500 acres was fun while it lasted. Looking forward to the next chapter
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:37 am

I have liked your style ever since you stepped in the door.

I love seeing the old time deer hunting photos. Though it is bittersweet to know that those days of purity and innocence are all but gone. Our hunting traditions and heritage are dead and gone, drowned in narcissism and the almighty dollar. (Alright that’s a bit dramatic but I have a feeling you understand what I mean)

Nice write up.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:14 am

Jackson Marsh wrote::clap:

Good stuff boogie!

$250 for 2500 acres....I could swing that cost :lol:

Yes sir! I could deff swing the $250 to get that sweet deal back. I still joke with my dad about why he didn't get us locked in on a 100 year contract. Was fun while it lasted made some really good childhood memories there so atleast I got my money's worth :lol:
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:28 am

PK_ wrote:I have liked your style ever since you stepped in the door.

I love seeing the old time deer hunting photos. Though it is bittersweet to know that those days of purity and innocence are all but gone. Our hunting traditions and heritage are dead and gone, drowned in narcissism and the almighty dollar. (Alright that’s a bit dramatic but I have a feeling you understand what I mean)

Nice write up.

Thanks man! I always enjoy your stuff as well. Truth is (here atleast) I think those real tree monster buck videos is what really poured the fuel on the fire. It got a whole lot of folks who cared nothing about hunting before in a bidding war fighting for lands and putting big racks as all that matters. Products geared to medicate the sickness soon filled the shelves and the heritage was kicked to the side. Deer camp was gone. The new wave of Hunter was born.
-John Wayne-
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:44 am

Great write up boogie! Really enjoyed hearing about how things have changed from the glory years to now. Hear about it from my family, but it’s different from a family of meat hunters to somebody who hunts mature bucks.

Like others have said, you know your stuff. Always stop and listen when I see you post.

I also love your fishing posts as well. Looking forward to the rest of your write up
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:57 am

RUDE AWAKENING
To say my early bowhunting was a struggle is being kind, fact is I plain stunk. Prob could smell my stink plum up in Wisconsin. I got permission on a small 50 acre farm and thought I was set so I didn't even look for another spot. I put up one perm stand and hunted it everyday of the season. I new nothing about the wind or deer movement in general. However, I did see deer almost every sit. Turns out I was so bad the deer didn't even view me as a threat, they just simply worked around me. Year 1 I never fired a arrow and I hunted every day of the season.

Year 2 more of the same still had my trusty one stand, except this time I was gonna deploy some bait and surely kill a monster. Did kill me my does and a young 1.5 buck with this tactic. Which built confidence in my equipment, I also learned deer have a nose due to all the blowing I recieved that season.
Killed a lot of these type bucks the next few years which helped hone my skills with a bow. And lit a fire looking for bigger deer.

MAKING A CHANGE
During this time I realized what I was doing was not producing what I wanted. So I struck out to acquire as many spots as I could find and stay mobile. I had a lil knowledge about the wind and how deer used it, I also figured out deer are a edge animal. My strategy was simply hunting edges that made sense for the deer to use with the current wind. I was a lot more mobile and killed a lot of deer during this part of my growth. Mostly 2.5-3.5 but I would average a glimpse or 2 of a big bruiser every season.

Some of the bucks killed during this part of my journey.

Also killed this antlered doe during that time that I thought was pretty cool.

TURNING POINT

I located a monster buck bedding in a oxbow facing the lake. I would watch him from across the cove 200 yards away every eve with a SE wind rise from his bed and take to the waters edge right b4 dark and parallel it. With wind and thermal the deer could smell the entire woods and watch the entire bank from his bed. While burning the midnight oil I concocted a plan! The following morning I entered the water armed with my bow and inner tube. I floated across the cove and set up in waste deep water in a patch of buck brush 15 yards from where the buck exits. I set in that cold water from b4 daylight until last 10 min of shooting light, many times I wanted to give up, I was cold wet and wrinkled. Right b4 quiting time I seen him rise and head my way. He was clueless, never expecting nothing from the water. Would like to show a pic of the giant. But fact is I muffed a 17 yard open broadside shot on a totally relaxed animal. But my plan worked, I didn't do what everyone else was doing, I hit the sucker with a curveball he hasn't ever seen b4 and despite a poor shot it worked perfectly.

Killed this 16 pt the following week on a public golf course with another crazy strategy I cooked up. Not the best genetics but he was old with double forked brows with a 6" goober with 3 kickers coming off the back of one. I realized the human mind is the most powerful weapon and hunting was about to get seriously fun!

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL

Things were really coming together and more importantly I was having serious fun doing it. I learned how to use air currents to my advantage, the importance of positive thinking and deep down I knew it's just a matter of time. Took a lot of good deer during this time, I was mobile and understood the importance of proper timing. Also got my hands on my first cameras during this time which really aided in my progression.

This buck is a neat story. Years b4 I was hunting and heard dogs barking afew hundred yards away then I see this big buck come running by to my left 100 yards he cuts the corner of a stock tank then circles back and crosses his old track back to where he came from. I watched the dogs get hung up at the pond and eventually lost interest. On the day of this hunt around 10 a.m I hear those dogs bark again from the same general direction as years b4. I got down as fast as I could and sprinted toward the stock tank. Actually tripped over a rock, broke my quiver and bruised my knee pretty good. Sure it was a helluva sight! Made it to the pond just in time to have him cutting the corner at 15 yards. I just yelled at him, he slammed on the brakes and I put a arrow through his heart. Completely diff buck than b4 but it was the same dogs. Memorable hunt none the less.

UP TO DATE
Still out there having fun! I don't hunt for the same reasons I did years ago, I like to think I got a lot better. I've seen some awesome things and made some special memories. To anyone just getting started it doesn't take a fat bank account to get good deer. It just takes effort and a tenacity to not quit and keep grinding and learning. I admitt those early days were tough on me mentally cause I new I was awful. But success isn't bought on a store shelf, wether you use a hang on, climber or saddle doesn't matter if u don't know what tree to place it on. Embrace the journey!!

Buck from this season.

Deer from the last 4 seasons, have had a good run of late and hope to get the streak alive. If not all I can do is my best, and I can sleep well with that. Good luck and Whitetail Wishes thanks for taking the time to read my journey.

-John Wayne-
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:00 am

Good write up Boogie! Thanks for sharing. :clap:
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:29 pm

Good read man. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”