Some thoughts on hunting in the rain

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: Some thoughts on hunting in the rain

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:04 pm

The only thing that's certain when you hunt in the rain is you and your gear will most likely get soaked. Optics get foggy, most range finders are only water resistant and not designed for a dunk. I made sure I bought a range finder that is 100 percent waterproof after my old rangefinder got wet.

The thought of being wet and having to dry all of your gear can be letdown, but it is really more of a mental hurdle that fortitude and positivity can overcome. I don't wear rain gear, I'm usually dressed warm enough and have an idea it might rain. I just bring my tree umbrella and prepare to eat it when it comes. If I'm going hunting and have made plans to hunt, I'm all in.

I check forecast usually before bed and before leaving house. If it rains I just try to do my best and have fun with it. Lightning and storms and falling trees and tree limbs can kill ya, if it's rough I normally opt to wait it out a bit in the truck.

I haven't killed any big bucks in the rain but I did kill a big fat doe opening day of muzzleloader last season. There was a 10 percent chance of rain predicting less than a .10 of an inch of rain for the day. I had canoed in the dark and bumped deer when I was climbing up my tree. Just heard them blowing, then shortly after, I got doused with driving rain. I wanted to quit but decided to stick with it. I saw some deer walking out of range and made a plan. I wanted to relocate deeper in, and I wasn't going to be able to sit all day how I was. I needed an extra layer of clothes from my truck, my tree umbrella, some food, and a dry lens cloth for my optics.

I paddled back to my truck around 9-10 am when it was pouring the hardest. I got to my truck listened to the rain, changed clothes and ate. Moved my stand 60-70 yards and settled in just as the rain was slacking up. Saw a few yearlings but no mature deer. I was soaked all day and it rained multiple times on me. I got determined to kill something. It paid off at 5p or so when a large group of does ran from left to right in front of me single file at 50-60 yards. I had one gap to shoot in and made a trotting heart shot on the lead doe. I was trying to reload but only managed to dump powder all over my lap and drop my bullet.

I kept watching to see if a buck was chasing but I really didn't think there was. When I got down I never found any blood but was able to follow the fresh tracks laid down by all the does running through. They ran through standing water and I found her piled up after 60-70 yards.

I think my favorite time to hunt in the rain is during the 2nd or 3rd day of a 3 day rain storm. To me it Seems like deer hole up to wait it out during the first day when the nastiest part of the front is hitting. Then on day 2 and 3 when it's still wet and raining they are driven to eat and on their feet more. Just what I've seen.

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”