What time of year is a mature buck most vulnerable?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Season opener - AM
1%
Season opener - PM
26%
Late October
18%
the Rut
29%
Late season cold weather
26%

Total votes: 118
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:34 am

Curious to know your guys' thoughts and what your collective experience says

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: What time of year is a mature buck most vulnerable?

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:48 am

I think there will be a difference in your poll from perceived and fact, and also because it differs regionally... But up here in the north country actual mature bucks are most vulnerable at the very end of the season in the bitter cold. Most wouldn't know that cause I see very few people hunting at that time frame. Second best would be early in September or even earlier where legal. Rut would be when "bucks" or nice bucks are most vulnerable, but you said mature.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:03 am

I voted season opener PM. The bucks haven't been messed with and are on a fairly predictable bed to feed pattern in the evening. I have found that if I can locate a buck and know pretty close where he is bedded I have pretty high odds of killing him if I do my part.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:04 am

Of course the rut is when they are most vulnerable but it’s so unpredicatable.

I think opening day PM hunt in an area where the bucks have been allowed to go about their summer patterns undisturbed is as good as it gets. Once they figure out their being hunted all bets are off.

I agree with Dan about the late season especially if there is some real frigid weather. Over the years I have had some incredible encounters with big bucks after everyone else gives up on the season. Nothing like survival instincts to feed for getting them on their feet earlier especially bucks that are run down from the rut.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:19 am

I voted most VULNERABLE late season P.M. Harsh conditions and abundant food will get the mature bucks killed around here, at that time.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:47 am

Someone did a chart of when all the beast bucks were killed last year and the vast majority of the deer were shot in rut time.
CarolinaKid

Unread postby CarolinaKid » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:24 am

I see more mature bucks killed and have killed more mature bucks late October in SC than any other time in the season. I think anyone around the SE would say the same, but I also haven’t beast style hunted until the last 2 seasons. Things may change in the future!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:25 am

Dewey wrote:Of course the rut is when they are most vulnerable but it’s so unpredicatable.

Great point
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:05 am

If I wanna catch trophy bass I concentrate my efforts on the spawn. If I want a big elk, I wait for the bugling to start. If I want a big tom turkey I wait for the gobbling. And if a want a big buck I get serious Come November.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Bowfisher

Unread postby Bowfisher » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:09 am

I said late season. I have never even killed a Buck late season, usually tagged out by then.

My reasoning for my vote is as follows. Early season they usually get up in time, they usually are predictable, but do they HAVE to get up to start feeding before dark? I’d say not in most instances.

During rut by FAR the most big bucks are killed, but rut is also by FAR when the most hunters are out there. Will he be on his feet before dark? A lot of times yes, but does he HAVE to? No. The ladies just drive them crazy a lot of times.

When you get into bitter and I mean bitter conditions, they have to move. They HAVE to be on their feet eating, for survival. If you tell me a mature buck can lay in one spot without moving or eating from before daylight until after dark when it is in the negatives, day after day, and survive... i don’t know if I buy that. If you tell me he can do that during early season or rut... I buy it.

That’s why I think they are most vulnerable during that time. That being said, I don’t think it is the EASIEST time for a hunter to kill him. Don’t forget for a hunter to take advantage of his vulnerability, the hunter himself must put himself through those conditions.

I’d like to here others thoughts on this.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:19 am

Rich M wrote:Someone did a chart of when all the beast bucks were killed last year and the vast majority of the deer were shot in rut time.

Thats when the most guys are hunting, and most guys are not shooting mature bucks. They are shooting bucks 3 years old or less.
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:29 am

Halloween through Nov 10th. It's not the rut technically. It's the seeking phase of the pre-rut. They are starting to get ladies on their mind and the weather usually turns cooler. It's money, because they're vulnerable and not thinking right.
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:32 am

Too many variables to lump all mature deer into one single category in my opinion. I believe each one has a certain time frame he is more so vulnerable and it’s our job as hunters to try to find that and strike. Every situation is a little different. I believe personally here, when I have seen the most up and moving in daylight according to trail camera photos and sightings is late November. Up looking and searching for the last few remaining hot does.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:34 am

Dewey wrote:Of course the rut is when they are most vulnerable but it’s so unpredicatable.

I think opening day PM hunt in an area where the bucks have been allowed to go about their summer patterns undisturbed is as good as it gets. Once they figure out their being hunted all bets are off.

I agree with Dan about the late season especially if there is some real frigid weather. Over the years I have had some incredible encounters with big bucks after everyone else gives up on the season. Nothing like survival instincts to feed for getting them on their feet earlier especially bucks that are run down from the rut.

X2. I think you've nailed it. Late season is tops if you can find the 'hot' food source they are using. :think: I believe they move earlier, more predictably and with extreme cold, I've seen some things over the years that leads me to believe that their ability to detect scent may be slightly compromised.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:50 am

Rut here. Mountain public land. Low deer density, low hunter density. Scattered food sources. No question. Not even close.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”