jumping the string. thoughts?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jporcello
500 Club

jumping the string. thoughts?

Unread postby jporcello » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:45 pm

Never shoot a deer with its head down. this is what they claim. whats your experiences?

https://sportsmensnation.com/whitetail/ ... the-string

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: jumping the string. thoughts?

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:32 pm

I don't have time to listen, but there have been 2 main factors in string jumping for me and neither has to do with the head being down.

#1 deer to far away. Shots over 30 yards they hear the bow shot before the arrow gets there.

#2 they sense something is wrong (smell you, hear you, see you) and are on edge before you shoot.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:00 pm

dan wrote:I don't have time to listen, but there have been 2 main factors in string jumping for me and neither has to do with the head being down.

#1 deer to far away. Shots over 30 yards they hear the bow shot before the arrow gets there.

#2 they sense something is wrong (smell you, hear you, see you) and are on edge before you shoot.

I agree. Dan. Had both happen too me a few times.
20-25. Yards is max for me now.
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:50 pm

I listened to this podcast the other day and I think they have a valid point. I think what they were trying to explain (but did a poor job of elaborating) is that prey animals instinctively know they are most vulnerable when eating or drinking because their head is down. I think they are just instinctively "loaded up" mentally and even more hyper-vigilant and ready to pounce (or drop to load up their legs ready to pounce) in this state.

Emrah
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:13 am

Far and away, the alertness of the deer is the biggest factor. I've only had deer that were on alert jump the string. In the last 3 years I've had two mature does fully duck arrows at 15 yards. Both had smelled me, were on their way out but I stopped them.

I think bow noise is a factor, but I think arrow noise is a bigger factor. Safely stand downrange behind a barrier while someone shoots a vented broadhead with blazer vanes sometimes. It's eye opening how loud the whizzing sound is that you don't really hear behind the bow. That's the doppler effect in action.

I'm not so sure that distance is much of a factor. Both those does that ducked my sting were 15 yards. That's crazy quick reflexes but within their abilities. I think once you get out past a certain point, the deer can't hear the bow noise. That's more just a theory, I've only ever shot one deer past 35 yards, so it's kinda hard to take that into consideration.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Bowfisher

Unread postby Bowfisher » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:51 am

I’ve had multiple deer jump the string. First was the only buck I’ve missed. He came through cruising during late rut. Stopped him at 30 on the dot and aimed high heart, pretty sure his brisket touched the ground he dropped so fast. He seemed calm before the shot, lesson learned I guess. Clean miss.

I’ve had 2 late season does in my life drop within 25 yards that resulted in spine shots when aiming for high heart. One was completely calm around 22, one was only about 13 yards but on alert.

Last year I did some hunting late season in Maryland. First night I shot at a doe that was 40 yards on the dot and she had been bumped by something so I aimed low. I put my pin right on her hair line just behind the leg anticipating a good drop. She didn’t flinch AT ALL and I shaved hair off her. Hit exactly where I aimed.

Fast forward 3 days I shoot at another doe from same stand, 32 yards, calm as can be, little wind so it’s not dead calm. I aim for heart, she turns inside out and I hit above the spine and never recovered.

This list compiled my worst shots on deer, and while I don’t like to think about them or talk about them, it provides a good learning point. Deer are so unpredictable. Some calm deer have turned inside out and some alert deer have not flinched a muscle. In general though, the vast majority of my deer haven’t moved until after the arrow has been through then

I do agree with the general guidelines most will say, but there is never an “always” with these whitetails we chase.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:15 am

Just being honest and didn’t listen or watch the video but I am yet to have a deer that I know for certain jumped the string. It happens I’m sure, seen the slow motion videos but I believe that a lot of times that is because of how the shot played out. Most of the time it is because of what Dan said, long shot and deer heard it or is on high alert or nervous sensing something isn’t right in the area. I will say I believe that a lot of bad shots are taken and then the excuse becomes the deer jumped the string on me!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:00 am

Also... When we speak of deer "jumping the string" cause of being alert, I have noticed looking thru peoples footage, including my own that deer that are stopped for the shot jump a lot more than those caught by surprise. And deer called in are a lot more jumpy than those just passing by.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:56 am

I try not to shoot at an alert deer past 30 yds. If I do, I aim lower 3rd. Also, I would prefer to let a deer stop on its own or even walk slowly, without trying to stop it for a shot. The ones who I have "had" to stop with a grunt, seemed awful jumpy. The last deer that I shot, who had came back to a grunt, was on high alert the whole time. He got within 17 yds., never giving me a shot. As he turned to leave, I shot him broadside, walking stiff-legged, through an opening at 27 yds. As he was running off, it looked like I had hit him in the right ham..nowhere close to where I was aiming. In fact I couldn't even see the rear of the deer, when I shot, so how in the world did it hit him there!? The apparent location of the arrow had me concerned.. At times, it happens so fast, that some things aren't what they seem at the time... Normally, if I don't hear or see the deer crash, I will wait til the AM to track and retrieve my deer. There are, at times, however, extenuating circumstances. In this case, they were calling for rain... The lighted nock had the woods aglow. I found my arrow right away, a few yds from where the buck had been standing when I shot him. The arrow looked good. The blood trail left no question as to whether or not the deer had been fatally wounded. It was a short tracking job. But the wound that the deer laying at the end of the blood trail had received, left me somewhat perplexed. The arrow had hit the buck, directly behind his last rib on his right side, and exited right behind his left elbow. I believe a beloved member of this forum (RIP Stanley) would've described that as being "pole-axed". The deer was dead enough, but I kept thinking, "Man, I ain't THAT bad of a shot". I've not had much luck with marginal shots in my hunting career, so I figured I'd take it, anyway and count my blessings. But the whole ordeal bothered me for a long time. Then I happened onto a YouTube video of a hunt that unfolded similar to mine. An alert deer was shot at 30yds. Upon the shot, he loaded to spring off his front legs, but, he pirouetted to the left instead of lunging forward. The arrow on the video entered and exited just as mine had, with a short tracking job to the deer. If I hadn't seen that video, I would still be pondering, how my shot had gone wrong. Now, I feel that my shot was heading where I had aimed at the ALERT buck, but by time the arrow got there the buck no longer was.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:01 am

dan wrote:I don't have time to listen, but there have been 2 main factors in string jumping for me and neither has to do with the head being down.

I'd agree 100 %
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:31 am

2 experiences, both the heads were down...

1st was an 8-pointer that coiled out of his skin, pretty amazing the speed of reaction from 20 yards.
Lesson learned - he put his head down to sniff, only to fake me out. It was a natural (inate) plan...
2nd - a button buck I had already shot at and re-arrowed, tense situation for him, scun his back with a 9" gash ...

I think Coyote and Bear jump more often than deer...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:53 pm

I listened to the podcast and took out of it this.
Deer with head down eating are on alert. I think thats when predators attack this includes all animals including and especially fish (big fish eat little fish when the little fish are eating)... it just makes sense.
You know when you see something out of the corner of your eye and you flinch...relate that to a preys full vision, side of the head perspective, lightning quick reaction.

I think they hear the bow string, hear the arrow whizzing, coupled with seeing the arrow coming and are preloaded anyway. I bet it's easier than we think for deer to jump the string...just another reason they are awesome creatures.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:32 pm

dan wrote:Also... When we speak of deer "jumping the string" cause of being alert, I have noticed looking thru peoples footage, including my own that deer that are stopped for the shot jump a lot more than those caught by surprise. And deer called in are a lot more jumpy than those just passing by.

Spot on with my experience. I try to setup in a location where they naturally pause (creek, transition opening, log, doe crossing during pre-rut/rut, etc.). Within 15 yards I’d rather lead my shot than stop them if they’re slowly moving. Not skeet shooting, but picking a spot a few yards ahead and waiting for him to cross that point.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:14 am

Emrah wrote:I listened to this podcast the other day and I think they have a valid point. I think what they were trying to explain (but did a poor job of elaborating) is that prey animals instinctively know they are most vulnerable when eating or drinking because their head is down. I think they are just instinctively "loaded up" mentally and even more hyper-vigilant and ready to pounce (or drop to load up their legs ready to pounce) in this state.

Emrah

Thats a cool way to describe it.

Id also have to say that iv seen Does are really good at jumping it and they seem to be more agile than a 200lb+ buck.

The end of this video is a slow mo shot showing how quik a deer can drop. Granted it is a magnificent shot, it seemed like a long one. 1:00 mark
https://youtu.be/E-OSGgyKd_I?t=59s
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:06 am

I second what Dan said earlier. Deer is aware and alert or the shot is far and the deer hears the bow go off.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”