post-kill load out

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CarolinaKid

post-kill load out

Unread postby CarolinaKid » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:44 pm

I’m wanting to learn more about how you guys get your deer out of the woods, and the steps you take to do it. Not looking for books here, unless you’re down for delving in!, mainly just your process overview.

Scenario: You’re 1.5 miles back in public land, and you’ve taken a 200+ lb buck. What’s your process of getting him out?

Scenario 2: Same deal, except now factor in water. Either a river crossing or big swamp to wade through.

Thx fellas!

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Re: post-kill load out

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:53 pm

This is exactly what you’re looking for...

https://youtu.be/hxlNSm8yLVo
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:27 pm

If its water I'll drag em til I can get to a boat. Hard ground would quarter it up.
Make It Happen
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:59 pm

I have a frame pack that I use elk hunting that I carry my stand and sticks on when I am going that far back. When I kill one I cut it up and put it in game bags and carry it out on my back like a western hunter. Once I figure out how to post pics I’ll show you.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:10 pm

200 lb+ buck 1.5 miles back......I'm calling Jackson Marsh. :lol:

Seriously though either scenario unless I have a bunch of help I'm likely quartering and packing out now. Sucks we can't leave bones but taking a deer out in manageable pieces would be so much easier. My brutal drag days are pretty much over now. Not worth completely screwing up my back anymore. Time to be a little smarter.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:06 pm

Take all my stuff back to the truck, come back with knife, tag, sled and cart if I can use them.

Gut. Load, and I’m off to the races. I’m also 22 and a pretty big framed guy who used to powerlift. So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

Don’t do it by yourself. Everybody wants to be a lone wolf, it’s just too easy to roll an ankle or work yourself too hard. My dad always comes with and just keeps me company. And yells at me when I slow down :shifty:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:20 pm

1- If i'm on a Louisiana WMA I'll drive my ATV or go-devil up to the deer and load him up.. I really don't agree with this rule, but I guess if you can't beat them join them..

2- If water is involved and I can't get a boat to him i'm floating him out, (un-gutted deer float extremely well) I hear a lot of guys up north gut them as soon as possible.. I've personally never had any issues waiting to gut them, especially if theres water and I have the option to float him. It also keeps the body cavity clean.

I've also quartered up a doe before and several hogs, I believe this is where it's at. I've used a backpack and also my lonewolf as a packframe, it actually worked really good. If you're careful you can keep the meat surprisingly clean.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:43 pm

Whether I am 3 miles in, or next to the truck, or in a swamp, I am deboning and packing out gutless style. If this is legal where you hunt it is the easiest way I have found.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:50 pm

brancher147 wrote:Whether I am 3 miles in, or next to the truck, or in a swamp, I am deboning and packing out gutless style. If this is legal where you hunt it is the easiest way I have found.

If I am over a mile in, I am probably doing gutless and packing whether it is legal or not. No way I am dragging a deer that far. Never heard of such a thing, it is absolutely absurd for that to be illegal.

About a quarter mile is usually my threshold, but it depends on how much help I have and if I have to go uphill or down. I actually dragged all three of my deer this year. First doe was a mile in, but dead flat and I had a friend. Buck was 200 yards from the tailgate, mostly downhill. Doe 2 was 400 yards from where we could get a quad. That was about my upper limit what I felt like dragging.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:34 pm

elk yinzer wrote:
brancher147 wrote:Whether I am 3 miles in, or next to the truck, or in a swamp, I am deboning and packing out gutless style. If this is legal where you hunt it is the easiest way I have found.

If I am over a mile in, I am probably doing gutless and packing whether it is legal or not. No way I am dragging a deer that far. Never heard of such a thing, it is absolutely absurd for that to be illegal.

About a quarter mile is usually my threshold, but it depends on how much help I have and if I have to go uphill or down. I actually dragged all three of my deer this year. First doe was a mile in, but dead flat and I had a friend. Buck was 200 yards from the tailgate, mostly downhill. Doe 2 was 400 yards from where we could get a quad. That was about my upper limit what I felt like dragging.

It is a stupid law to have. I have had to pass on many bears in VA due to it being illegal. You have to take the whole bear (can be gutted) to an official check station, and no way to get a big bear out hunting by myself miles back in on National Forest. VA is trying to lower bear pop, but makes it harder to get a bear out, and just raised out of state license...Stupid.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:27 am

For either of the two scenarios my first option is my younger brother who is half moose. He can carry it out most of the way and I'll spell him when he needs it. LOL. If that option isn't available which it usually isn't then I would elect to quarter up the deer and probably take it out in stages. I actually shot a buck last year 1.6 miles from the truck (didn't realize I was that far back). A friend and I drug him the whole way and we were spent by the time we reached the truck. Never again. It would have been much faster to quarter the deer. Now if you can't quarter the deer then I would recommend a bunch of friends.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:11 am

isitseasonyet? wrote:This is exactly what you’re looking for...

https://youtu.be/hxlNSm8yLVo

Yup...

I never ever worry about where Im hunting, or how I will get the buck out, or even how I will get out till the hunts over... One step in front of the other in the direction you need to go and eventually you hit the truck.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:04 am

Man power and determination....
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:08 am

If you're by yourself make sure you have a Gatorade or two at the truck for when you get done. Cause its gonna be a workout!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:30 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:If you're by yourself make sure you have a Gatorade or two at the truck for when you get done. Cause its gonna be a workout!

Hmm. I always have a case of beer :shifty:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”