post-kill load out

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hambone
500 Club

Re: post-kill load out

Unread postby hambone » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:49 am

Carry everthing but the deer back to the vehicle. Take knife, folding saw, cotton pillow cases and frame pack, back to the kill site. Cut the deer up and pack out the meat.

RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:58 am

brancher147 wrote:Whether I am 3 miles in, or next to the truck, or in a swamp, I am deboning and packing out gutless style. If this is legal where you hunt it is the easiest way I have found.

That's an important step! I packed one out last year but didn't debone it, just packed out all four quarters bone in plus backstraps plus cape and head. I would've saved a bunch of weight by deboning first.

Packing out and using a deer cart where you can is a big help.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:02 am

When your a young guy dragging them out solo is like a badge of honor. You refuse help, sound like a tough guy and maybe even impress a few people. When you get older after taking a look back you realize just how ignorant you were. My back is screwed up for life as a direct result from those actions. Get some help. Dragging a buck out with a friend is actually great fun and memories are made. Just make sure it’s somebody you trust with your hunting spots. Also to those that say they only worry about it when they get one down it doesn’t hurt to have a plan. I always like to have multiple option depending on the situation. Life is always easier when you have a plan. Nobody wants to see a deer lost to spoilage due to poor planning.
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:22 am

I usually have help. My dad is always available but he has bad knees and back issues. So I try my best to have him there but not doing the work. Most often I have a friend or to willing to help me out.
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:23 am

I usually have help. My dad is always available but he has bad knees and back issues. So I try my best to have him there but not doing the work. Most often I have a friend or to willing to help me out.
CarolinaKid

Unread postby CarolinaKid » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:25 am

Ahawk116 wrote:I have a frame pack that I use elk hunting that I carry my stand and sticks on when I am going that far back. When I kill one I cut it up and put it in game bags and carry it out on my back like a western hunter. Once I figure out how to post pics I’ll show you.

yeah would definitely like to know how you and others who have mentioned it quarter up and pack out. I'm going to youtube that and the gutless method tonight
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:39 am

isitseasonyet? wrote:This is exactly what you’re looking for...

https://youtu.be/hxlNSm8yLVo

yes, what you are looking for is a "trophy husband" :lol:

i love this video
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:55 am

Jonny wrote:Take all my stuff back to the truck, come back with knife, tag, sled and cart if I can use them.

Gut. Load, and I’m off to the races. I’m also 22 and a pretty big framed guy who used to powerlift. So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

Don’t do it by yourself. Everybody wants to be a lone wolf, it’s just too easy to roll an ankle or work yourself too hard. My dad always comes with and just keeps me company. And yells at me when I slow down :shifty:

i'll have to add this to dk's hunting memes....

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:59 am

That’s awesome. :laughing-rolling:
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:02 am

I won't hunt that far in during shotgun season. Law here in MA is they have to come out whole and go to a check station. But archery or black powder, quarter them up....
I don't have any help.... So... I do what I gotta do.
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:10 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:I won't hunt that far in during shotgun season. Law here in MA is they have to come out whole and go to a check station. But archery or black powder, quarter them up....
I don't have any help.... So... I do what I gotta do.

Yeah, the only thing we can do in Massachusetts is field dress them and bring them back intact. I wish we could quarter them up because I have some really deep spots I want to hunt out here that are going to be a serious challenge getting one out, and I don't think I'll have anyone willing to go back that deep to help :cry:
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:31 am

I don’t have mile long drags but I’m usually dragging up steep bluffs. I’m not as smart as Dewey yet lol. I’m dragging by myself at times because I have no other option. If a friend is available I will ask for help. It has to be a very trusted friend
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:38 pm

Dewey wrote:When your a young guy dragging them out solo is like a badge of honor. You refuse help, sound like a tough guy and maybe even impress a few people. When you get older after taking a look back you realize just how ignorant you were. My back is screwed up for life as a direct result from those actions. Get some help. Dragging a buck out with a friend is actually great fun and memories are made. Just make sure it’s somebody you trust with your hunting spots. Also to those that say they only worry about it when they get one down it doesn’t hurt to have a plan. I always like to have multiple option depending on the situation. Life is always easier when you have a plan. Nobody wants to see a deer lost to spoilage due to poor planning.

Always gotta have a plan. And dragging out my relatives is not something I plan for. Honestly that is a real risk I have to consider for some of my family. My dad usually carries my gun/bow and keeps me company which helps more than trying to drag.

That’s also what kids are for. By the time they are old enough to drag deer, that’s probably when you are too old to be doing it solo. At least that’s what my dad always tells me when I ask why I’m the only one dragging deer.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:40 pm

Luckily I have 2 teenage boys that love to help. Sometimes it's not possible to get their assistance and I go it alone. Most deer I shoot are relatively close to a trail. I drag to the trail and go grab my deer cart. Sometimes I am far off the beaten path and have to go one step at a time. When this happens I just go slow. I take pics. Text some buddies, post on The Beast ECT ECT. My back and knees take a beating. It is what it is.
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:48 am

You find out who your friends are when it comes to dragging. I am shocked how much a cart can help with 2 guys pulling it. You can really cover some ground! 3 guys is even better!!!

I once had 2 buddies helping me drag at 11pm at night. THEY DID MOST OF THE DRAGGING!! It was awesome.

I normally wait until after dark to retrieve the buck bc I dont want other hunters seeing me drag a buck out anyway.
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”