Buck bedding in southern pines

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ahawk116

Buck bedding in southern pines

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:08 pm

So I just stumbled upon this site via the Hunting public. Without realizing it I have been hunting “beast style” for about the last 3 seasons.
I am from South Carolina, most of the bedding I find is in young (3-7) yr old) pine trees or giant old trees with a lot of natural regeneration. It seems like they relate to it almost like they relate to the swamps that a lot of you guys hunt. Meaning if there is a island of more mature trees or a ditch with trees around it you’ll find bedding.

My questions are simply what have you observed Hunting in my situation?

The buck beds that I find seem to be sound based for the most part instead of wind based. If you’ve ever hunted in this stuff you’ll know why. You need a forestry mulcher to get through a lot of it, that or you need to be crazy like me. Anyone else observed this?

Also what do you do about the wind? A stiff day wind down here is 7mph. Normal is probably closer to 4 mph so you wind up with a lot of swirling due to the thermals being as if not more powerful than the wind on most days. (That’s also probably why most of the beds I find are sound based).
Just two days ago I jumped a nice buck bedded on a western facing slope in one of these pine thickets and the wind was blowing out of the West.

I think the wind is the most difficult part about killing a mature buck down here by a long shot so any pointers would be much appreciated.

CarolinaKid

Re: Buck bedding in southern pines

Unread postby CarolinaKid » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:33 pm

Following along. From SC as well, and I echo everything you just said. Looking forward to hear others thoughts on this
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:49 pm

The wma land I hunt is also pine plantations.

What I find is the older more mature bucks will set up there beds to watch know hunter access points or the wide open creek bottoms depending on what direction the wind is that day.

These same bucks will be in their bed just before legal shooting light, so I find I do my best and get busted the lease amount if I get in the tree and set up no later then a hour before legal shooting time and don't leave till noon.

The beds I find along ditches or thick clusters of pine that is in larger pines always seem to be more sound based like you say, but in the woods I hunt they always seem to be younger bucks
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:39 pm

A5BLASTER wrote:The wma land I hunt is also pine plantations.

What I find is the older more mature bucks will set up there beds to watch know hunter access points or the wide open creek bottoms depending on what direction the wind is that day.

These same bucks will be in their bed just before legal shooting light, so I find I do my best and get busted the lease amount if I get in the tree and set up no later then a hour before legal shooting time and don't leave till noon.

The beds I find along ditches or thick clusters of pine that is in larger pines always seem to be more sound based like you say, but in the woods I hunt they always seem to be younger bucks

I’ve found 3 beds like you describe this summer. I know two of them are big deer because i saw the deer as they ran off, but none of those beds are close enough to the edge to be able to see.

Aka sounds like I’ve got some more looking to do. I did find one bedding area that fits the bill of what you are describing to a T, but I’m almost certain it’s doe bedding which seems strange to me.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:40 am

Ahawk116 wrote:
A5BLASTER wrote:The wma land I hunt is also pine plantations.

I’ve found 3 beds like you describe this summer. I know two of them are big deer because i saw the deer as they ran off, but none of those beds are close enough to the edge to be able to see.

Aka sounds like I’ve got some more looking to do. I did find one bedding area that fits the bill of what you are describing to a T, but I’m almost certain it’s doe bedding which seems strange to me.

It is possible it's doe bedding.

The woods I hunt the does tend more to bed down in the middle of browse type cover deep in the pine rows.

Only other place I have seen them bed is when they clear cut a area and the grass takes over the first 3 years and gets head or lil over head high, they will bed down in it when there or strong cold fronts and the sky is clear at first light the next morning, they will be in there all day.

The woods I hunt is super high on gun hunting pressure but during bow only I'm lucky if I see anouther hunter.

One if the things I love most bout deer hunting it's different every where you go.
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:02 am

Ttt
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:21 am

Your probably not going to get a lot of responses on this subject as most members here have probably never seen a true pine plantation, like what we have down in LA,TX,MS,ALB,FL.

I hunt several wma's and all of them have pine planted in rows and everyone of them is different in how the deer live in or around it.
J Gilbert
Facebook: Instagram: Jonathan Gilbert

Unread postby J Gilbert » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:41 am

I'll be following along with this myself, as I hunt very similar terrain in GA and am brand new to Beast-style hunting.

In general, the pines on my club's property are row pines in the 25-35 year age class with natural regeneration beneath them, so bedding cover is available across all of the property not planted in soybeans/peanuts (1100ac of possible bedding out of 1400ac). The big thing we have is clear cuts, anywhere from 5-12 years old, that have grown up and seem to provide the bulk of the bedding based on past experience. My property actually surrounds a clear cut that is around 12 years old and that we cannot hunt, and even entering it to find the exact bed is not a possibility, and there's another that is surrounded on 3 sides by the property I hunt. For both of those areas, I'm working to identify the most likely buck bedding based on food nearby and the small terrain changes across both in relation to the dominant W/SW fall winds.
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:54 am

A5BLASTER wrote:Your probably not going to get a lot of responses on this subject as most members here have probably never seen a true pine plantation, like what we have down in LA,TX,MS,ALB,FL.

I hunt several wma's and all of them have pine planted in rows and everyone of them is different in how the deer live in or around it.

Yeah I guess I’m just hopeful. Thanks for your input btw. I don’t know anyone who hunts like us in the south. All my buddies either sit in the hardwoods, or sit over a cutover with a rifle. It seems like people think that’s the only way to get it done down here.
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:02 am

J Gilbert wrote:I'll be following along with this myself, as I hunt very similar terrain in GA and am brand new to Beast-style hunting.

In general, the pines on my club's property are row pines in the 25-35 year age class with natural regeneration beneath them, so bedding cover is available across all of the property not planted in soybeans/peanuts (1100ac of possible bedding out of 1400ac). The big thing we have is clear cuts, anywhere from 5-12 years old, that have grown up and seem to provide the bulk of the bedding based on past experience. My property actually surrounds a clear cut that is around 12 years old and that we cannot hunt, and even entering it to find the exact bed is not a possibility, and there's another that is surrounded on 3 sides by the property I hunt. For both of those areas, I'm working to identify the most likely buck bedding based on food nearby and the small terrain changes across both in relation to the dominant W/SW fall winds.

Yeah that’s what I would do look for elevation changes. The top 3rd stuff that is talked about on here is helpful, but not always the case in this flatland. I also find bucks bedded in bottomland privet thickets. In the pine plantation.

I’ve also seen a few buck beds in pine plantations around old house sites which I find interesting. I think that’s because it creates an edge with some different types of vegetation. More bunch grasses, locust trees mulberry etc.

The other thing I’ve found a lot of is if there is a “cove” or nipple shaped area on the edge of the pines I find beds there a lot of times.

Most of the doe beds i find are in the thickest areas around, or down in a ditch in the pines.

One more: I find buck beds on the points at the beginning or end of a small hardwood drainage that runs up into the pines. I made the mistake for years of trying to kill them in the hardwoods where you see all the sign, but I think you are better off in the pines.

A few observations I’ve made.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:46 am

Ahawk116 wrote:
J Gilbert wrote:I'll be following along with this myself, as I hunt very similar terrain in GA and am brand new to Beast-style hunting.

Yeah that’s what I would do look for elevation changes. The top 3rd stuff that is talked about on here is helpful, but not always the case in this flatland. I also find bucks bedded in bottomland privet thickets. In the pine plantation.

I’ve also seen a few buck beds in pine plantations around old house sites which I find interesting. I think that’s because it creates an edge with some different types of vegetation. More bunch grasses, locust trees mulberry etc.

The other thing I’ve found a lot of is if there is a “cove” or nipple shaped area on the edge of the pines I find beds there a lot of times.

Most of the doe beds i find are in the thickest areas around, or down in a ditch in the pines.

One more: I find buck beds on the points at the beginning or end of a small hardwood drainage that runs up into the pines. I made the mistake for years of trying to kill them in the hardwoods where you see all the sign, but I think you are better off in the pines.

That last observation you stated is exactly what I was talking about with the mature bucks on the wma that is close to my house.

They will bed just inside the ticket cover in a drainage that goes out into the creek bottoms, or on the edge of hunter access points or the bayou edge all depending on wind dirrection.

That's why I like to be on stand and ready no later then one hour before light up, allows me time to beat them to their beds and get setup with min noise, close as I can to their beds.

And less face it unless it's raining hunting in pines your going to make noise it's a simple fact.
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:52 am

A5BLASTER wrote:
Ahawk116 wrote:

That last observation you stated is exactly what I was talking about with the mature bucks on the wma that is close to my house.

They will bed just inside the ticket cover in a drainage that goes out into the creek bottoms, or on the edge of hunter access points or the bayou edge all depending on wind dirrection.

That's why I like to be on stand and ready no later then one hour before light up, allows me time to beat them to their beds and get setup with min noise, close as I can to their beds.

And less face it unless it's raining hunting in pines your going to make noise it's a simple fact.

Gotcha! I think the only difference in what you had stated is most of the ones I have found don’t seem to be able to see into the hardwoods, but they can certainly hear your approach.

I’ve certainly been the most successful during a light rain and or after a rain for those exact reasons. I think the only other way is getting in early as you speak of, or for an evening hunt planning an extra half hour or more on your walk in just so you can move at a snails pace.

I often wonder if I wouldn’t be better off sitting on the ground in these pine thickets simply so i don’t have a stand on my back snagging on all the small pines and briars. I’ve shot a couple off the ground with no blind, but I think I should plan on doing it more often. I just prefer being up in the air.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:40 am

It’s really tough in planted pines. Sounds like you know what you are doing tho.

My honest advice, hunt different terrain. That’s a hard pill for some guys to swallow or they refuse to give up on areas due to nostalgia, but you will have more success in terrain that is easier to read and hunt, period.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:22 pm

PK_ wrote:It’s really tough in planted pines. Sounds like you know what you are doing tho.

My honest advice, hunt different terrain. That’s a hard pill for some guys to swallow or they refuse to give up on areas due to nostalgia, but you will have more success in terrain that is easier to read and hunt, period.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

It’s tough there is no doubt about that. It’s hard not to hunt pines around here. If it’s not developed it’s planted in pine trees throughout much of the state of sc. pines are the cash crop around here. Thankfully here in the upstate there is some terrain which makes it easier. I think the hardest place in the world to kill a mature deer year after year is in the low country of sc or the flatlands in some of the other southern states that are covered in pine trees.

No terrain mixed with thousands of acres of homogeneous pine trees is a recipe for some difficult hunting.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:35 pm

I really don't see many beds in planted pines around us. Most pines smother undergrowth. Lack of sunlight unless you are on edges. They use to draw me to them years back but no longer for most part.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”