Oldranks hunter profile

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Re: Oldranks hunter profile

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:34 am

Hawthorne wrote:Great write up! I like the history of a hunter in Michigan. I’m home team proud!

Thanks man.. now it's your turn !!

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:36 am

SouthpawSwitchback wrote:Thanks for putting this together oldrank! I have much respect for the Michigan hunter that can put down bucks like that on the public land. Looks like you know where the pike bedding areas are at too :D

Thanks. I know of a pike hole or 2. Funny I didn't intend to have all pike pics... I enjoy all fishing. River steelheading is my favorite.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:40 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:Good stuff, man! I live and hunt SE Michigan as well. What a great variety of outdoor adventure settings!
Next time I find that really great spot, back in there, and see a boot print, I'll wonder if it belongs to Oldrank ;)

The odds are good. I know my territory overlaps a few other Beasts.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:39 am

Excellent stuff OR! You’re a consistent killer. Thanks for sharing!
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:45 am

Nicely put together oldrank, I enjoyed it!
MATexbow

Unread postby MATexbow » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:28 pm

This was great! Thank you! :D
Public ownership of land is a vital component of a democracy worth living in. Corporate interests that destroy quality land for profit buy their way into power in our government and actively undermine the rights of public land hunters like us.
SouthpawSwitchback

Unread postby SouthpawSwitchback » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:07 pm

oldrank wrote:
SouthpawSwitchback wrote:Thanks for putting this together oldrank! I have much respect for the Michigan hunter that can put down bucks like that on the public land. Looks like you know where the pike bedding areas are at too :D

Thanks. I know of a pike hole or 2. Funny I didn't intend to have all pike pics... I enjoy all fishing. River steelheading is my favorite.

Steelhead are something else! I'm always amazed at how powerful they are during a fight. If you ever need some flies for them let me know.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:53 pm

Great stuff buddy. Love them old pictures.
Corsair7

Unread postby Corsair7 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:32 am

Great write up, thanks for sharing your story, pics and tactics :clap:
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:34 am

Nice write up Oldrank. You said something once that has always stayed with me. I can't quote it word for word, but something like " on a piece of pressured ground that is holding a big buck, that buck is slipping through the cracks. I hunt the cracks" I think of this statement often
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:10 pm

Nelson87 wrote:Nice write up Oldrank. You said something once that has always stayed with me. I can't quote it word for word, but something like " on a piece of pressured ground that is holding a big buck, that buck is slipping through the cracks. I hunt the cracks" I think of this statement often

Here is that post below.. I had to go back n look. But this does sum it up well. I don't want to come off as I know all the answers, or that I'm a great big buck killer...cause I'm not. I do know how to stack deer up off of my public land though.

"I stay positive because I know that there are big bucks slipping through the cracks. I hunt the cracks.

Tree stand are clues to how others are hunting. They don't bother me. I will find out who is hunting them by paying attention to cars, boot tracks, marking tape or whatever clues I can find. I then pattern that hunter. Is he a local, a weekend guy coming up from the city, a kid, do I feel he knows what he is doing or is he clueless. If he is not paying attention to entrance, thermals or wind I can use all of that against him. Alot of guys find good spots but don't hunt them right. That tips the scales my way.

Look more at the clues of how a buck is moving to avoid being killed. Pay attention to the big picture. It's not all about finding super secret hiding places. It about where can you kill him.

My hunting area gets intrusion from all sides. There are no places people can't get too. There are overlooked areas. Treestands are everywhere. 90 percent of my kills are within yards of human trails. Thats how the land lays out. There are trails everywhere. The key to me is knowing where the deer are moving through at."
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:35 pm

oldrank wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:Nice write up Oldrank. You said something once that has always stayed with me. I can't quote it word for word, but something like " on a piece of pressured ground that is holding a big buck, that buck is slipping through the cracks. I hunt the cracks" I think of this statement often

Here is that post below.. I had to go back n look. But this does sum it up well. I don't want to come off as I know all the answers, or that I'm a great big buck killer...cause I'm not. I do know how to stack deer up off of my public land though.

"I stay positive because I know that there are big bucks slipping through the cracks. I hunt the cracks.

Tree stand are clues to how others are hunting. They don't bother me. I will find out who is hunting them by paying attention to cars, boot tracks, marking tape or whatever clues I can find. I then pattern that hunter. Is he a local, a weekend guy coming up from the city, a kid, do I feel he knows what he is doing or is he clueless. If he is not paying attention to entrance, thermals or wind I can use all of that against him. Alot of guys find good spots but don't hunt them right. That tips the scales my way.

Look more at the clues of how a buck is moving to avoid being killed. Pay attention to the big picture. It's not all about finding super secret hiding places. It about where can you kill him.

My hunting area gets intrusion from all sides. There are no places people can't get too. There are overlooked areas. Treestands are everywhere. 90 percent of my kills are within yards of human trails. Thats how the land lays out. There are trails everywhere. The key to me is knowing where the deer are moving through at."

Yep that was it. Funny, a while back I looked for that and never could find it again. Coming from huge pieces of public in southern MO where I very seldom had any competition during bow season, to much smaller, much more accessable areas in southern IN has definetly been a major learning curve for me. Even the private pieces I have permission on are totally different. But that motto and your public land success proves that success can be had even in highly pressured areas, and that mindset has helped me find a few spots I would have written off as being to close to the road. Time will tell if they pan out, but in these areas there is no way to outwalk the competition and I know the deer are there at certain times of the year.
I consider you a topnotch, well rounded hunter and outdoorsman. Thank you for the inspiration you've been to me.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:42 pm

Great write up!!!
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:11 am

Great bio and really puts some things in perspective when i think about all that hunting pressure you have. I do love the "hunting the cracks" statement you made above thats pure hunting beast gold right there. I think if you can consistently kill those kind of bucks in the place you hunt, then you can be definitely be successful on big bucks anywhere else there is. Thanks for putting this together
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”