Calling a buck out of his Bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Natenlsn2

Calling a buck out of his Bed

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:43 am

I just saw a guy post on the beast Facebook page (Vincen Brown) and his story of how he shot his buck really struck me! He set up within earshot of the bedded buck and rattled....the buck got up and came to him. I had never even thought of this before but have you guys ever tried this tactic?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Calling a buck out of his Bed

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:11 am

Natenlsn2 wrote:I just saw a guy post on the beast Facebook page (Vincen Brown) and his story of how he shot his buck really struck me! He set up within earshot of the bedded buck and rattled....the buck got up and came to him. I had never even thought of this before but have you guys ever tried this tactic?

search the old posts here by a guy named "arrow bender" if you can find them, that was the way he killed a lot of his bucks (more with a grunt than a rattle though) There are some good posts on it buried.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:00 am

I’m pretty sure I accidentally called a buck out of his bed in SD 2009. I was calling at a different buck and he came charging in from behind me.

Doe bleat can
Natenlsn2

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:28 am

dan wrote:
Natenlsn2 wrote:I just saw a guy post on the beast Facebook page (Vincen Brown) and his story of how he shot his buck really struck me! He set up within earshot of the bedded buck and rattled....the buck got up and came to him. I had never even thought of this before but have you guys ever tried this tactic?

search the old posts here by a guy named "arrow bender" if you can find them, that was the way he killed a lot of his bucks (more with a grunt than a rattle though) There are some good posts on it buried.

I will look him him, thanks Dan!
Natenlsn2

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:33 am

Lockdown wrote:I’m pretty sure I accidentally called a buck out of his bed in SD 2009. I was calling at a different buck and he came charging in from behind me.

Doe bleat can

I had a similar situation when I was 14, used a estrous doe can call while on the top of a ridge. Had a big 145 inch 10 point come crashing up the hill towards me. To this day I still don’t know for sure, but I have a hunch he was bedded with 75 yards of me when I called because 5 seconds after I called he was within 40 yards of me. Since getting on the beast I have now been recounting every big buck encounter I have had since the beginning and each time seems to have the appearance of it being in and around buck bedding!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:32 am

I killed a 2.5 yr old buck in 2016 this way. Late morning, he was milling around in the bedding
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:28 am

What calls are you guys having success with? I feel like my cheap rubber tube has been spooking more bucks than bringing them in.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:36 am

I called many bucks out of their beds over the years. Problem is they then come in on the edge looking for the source. Great recipe for string jumping or bad shots. These days I prefer the silent approach more and taking a shot on a relatively calm deer that has no idea till an arrow zips thru him. Only time I really call now is to a buck out of range or going away from me where I would never get a shot otherwise. I probably miss some encounters but due to not blind calling but older mature bucks will rarely fall for grunting or rattling and might even ruin your chance at a kill. Most bucks are only vulnerable to this for a very short period if at all. I like the surprise attack better. If I did my homework I already know where the buck is bedded and what direction he will travel so why ruin it by giving up my location since odds are he will already be headed my direction anyway.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:08 am

Dewey wrote:I called many bucks out of their beds over the years. Problem is they then come in on the edge looking for the source. Great recipe for string jumping or bad shots. These days I prefer the silent approach more and taking a shot on a relatively calm deer that has no idea till an arrow zips thru him. Only time I really call now is to a buck out of range or going away from me where I would never get a shot otherwise. I probably miss some encounters but due to not blind calling but older mature bucks will rarely fall for grunting or rattling and might even ruin your chance at a kill. Most bucks are only vulnerable to this for a very short period if at all. I like the surprise attack better. If I did my homework I already know where the buck is bedded and what direction he will travel so why ruin it by giving up my location since odds are he will already be headed my direction anyway.

I agree Dewey and well said. I have killed a couple of young bucks with blind grunting, but nothing big has come. Calling to a buck that is headed out of range tho as a last chance, that is probably worth it. Also, hunting a random spot during rut, may as well try it. But if hunting a specific bed, why do it? Stick to the plan and wait till last hour and hope he does what he is supposed to do (get out of bed and head towards you).
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:23 am

Chuck B wrote:
Dewey wrote:I called many bucks out of their beds over the years. Problem is they then come in on the edge looking for the source. Great recipe for string jumping or bad shots. These days I prefer the silent approach more and taking a shot on a relatively calm deer that has no idea till an arrow zips thru him. Only time I really call now is to a buck out of range or going away from me where I would never get a shot otherwise. I probably miss some encounters but due to not blind calling but older mature bucks will rarely fall for grunting or rattling and might even ruin your chance at a kill. Most bucks are only vulnerable to this for a very short period if at all. I like the surprise attack better. If I did my homework I already know where the buck is bedded and what direction he will travel so why ruin it by giving up my location since odds are he will already be headed my direction anyway.

I agree Dewey and well said. I have killed a couple of young bucks with blind grunting, but nothing big has come. Calling to a buck that is headed out of range tho as a last chance, that is probably worth it. Also, hunting a random spot during rut, may as well try it. But if hunting a specific bed, why do it? Stick to the plan and wait till last hour and hope he does what he is supposed to do (get out of bed and head towards you).

I will add that if it’s a spot I will not return to anytime soon I will do one hail mary grunt sequence with only a few minutes left before closing when it’s obvious the buck will not make it to me before dark. I have had that work a few times mostly on younger bucks but also busted out bucks that spooked and then they ran the opposite direction. Betting they were mature bucks. Again I only do this on a spot I don’t plan on hunting again for quite some time because you will then likely burn your bridge for awhile if it backfires.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:26 am

I called one in from its bed with a grunt tube. I got lucky. Hunted the spot blind. I went back this last spring and found the bed.
cattailcrusher

Unread postby cattailcrusher » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:26 am

Ill never forget when I was probably 12 or 13, my brother dropped me off at a new hunting spot he recently got permission for and told me to walk in a couple hundred yards and find a spot on the ground to get settled in at. He recently bought me a grunt call, and he told me to use it about once every hour, it was around the last week of October. I remember getting settled in and it hadn't been 10 minutes and I was blowing on that thing like a trumpet, hahaha I couldn't resist. It couldn't of been 10 seconds later and it sounded like a train was coming through the thick brush behind me, and before I could comprehend want was going on this giant buck was within 5 yards of me. I was in such shock that i just sat there and stared at this deer :lol: , and which what seem liked minutes was in reality only a couple seconds and that buck knew something wasn't right and turned around and busted outta there. Hahaha I think for the rest of that hunt I was blowing on that thing every 10 minutes thinking that buck was gonna come back.

Anyways Dewey hit the nail on the head, most mature bucks that Ive since called at have usually circled around downwind first before they come in to investigate. I've also come to realize that a snort weeze is a very good option when calling at buck especially if he is a ways away or if it is windy out.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:33 am

I grunted a mature buck in once, on the last day of Oct. It wasn't near bedding it was more of a cruising spot. He did try to circle downwind of me, and approached thru very thick cover. I never did get him. I also believe there's a very small window, that this tactic works. Or as a last ditch effort, as he's walking away.

I'm similar to Dewey. I like the sneak attack nowadays.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:06 am

Lockdown wrote:I’m pretty sure I accidentally called a buck out of his bed in SD 2009. I was calling at a different buck and he came charging in from behind me.

Doe bleat can

I've had the same happen.

I was calling at a different small buck for fun and had my 2017 buck in 2016 stand up out of a bed that I did not expect. The buck moved super slow and careful from his bed and stood on the edge of a field for a long time just scanning. He was super careful.
Natenlsn2

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:06 am

Great thoughts Dewey! Sure is risky, especially if you plan to hunt it again! Hard to get a shot on a deer that is looking for what made the grunt noise.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”