CWD

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lastcast#1

CWD

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:50 pm

Michigan it appears, is getting ready to unleash a pile of new regs in the effort to deal with CWD. Not looking for a scientific debate here. Rather, Id just like to hear from those who live in other states with higher confirmed numbers of cwd cases, and where it had been discovered quite earlier than here in Michigan.

How has it impacted your hunting?
Have you changed where you hunt?
Would you knowingly eat a CWD infected deer?
Are you concerned about the disease?

I talk with plenty of hunters around mid Michigan who are clueless. As in they havent even heard of it. I find that fact disturbing.

Chad

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: CWD

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:02 pm

CWD itself has had no impact on my hunting. However the kill every deer regulations have nocked down the numbers of deer and made hunting mature bucks much harder. Kill em all attitudes where guys were taking dozens of bucks per season, and even more antlerless really had an impact that is taking a long time to rebound.

No

Probably not, but I don't check for it, so I wouldn't know. Thousands of people have, with no negative consequences.

Yes. Its tasking over our country, with that said, there still ain't nothing you can do to stop it.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:10 am

Lastcast#1 wrote:Michigan it appears, is getting ready to unleash a pile of new regs in the effort to deal with CWD. Not looking for a scientific debate here. Rather, Id just like to hear from those who live in other states with higher confirmed numbers of cwd cases, and where it had been discovered quite earlier than here in Michigan.

Yes
Yes, I avoid the areas where they've found positive deer, but it's getting closer every year
No way, and this year I am going to start having my deer tested
Very much so. If it jumps to humans, which I think eventually it will, hunting will forever be changed. Economically we'll almost be forced to wipe deer off the landscape to protect agriculture and water

I talk with plenty of hunters around mid Michigan who are clueless. As in they havent even heard of it. I find that fact disturbing.

Chad
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:06 am

What are the regulation changes that are going to take place in Michigan?
I live in the se part of the state.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:22 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:What are the regulation changes that are going to take place in Michigan?
I live in the se part of the state.

Just found this thread that lays out the regs.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45550
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:32 am

I don't have it around me fortunately (yet anyways) but I would have my deer tested for sure if I was in a known CWD area. Pretty much all governmental organizations are advising against eating it. In my opinion there hasn't been enough long-term testing done to prove that the disease can't jump to humans, and I think it will make the jump to humans eventually.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:40 am

The MIL died of CJDv and it was an ugly fate! No idea how she contracted it. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Anyhow, not eating venison now, wife never did really care for it anyway. Last year's bow buck was ground into burger for my Son's dog who has food allergies.

Ironic that the DNR says test it before eating, but then claim that it won't cross over into people.....
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:15 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:I don't have it around me fortunately (yet anyways) but I would have my deer tested for sure if I was in a known CWD area. Pretty much all governmental organizations are advising against eating it. In my opinion there hasn't been enough long-term testing done to prove that the disease can't jump to humans, and I think it will make the jump to humans eventually.

They have been eating the deer out west where CWD has been longer than I have been alive and don't even bother with testing anymore for the past 50+ years... I would say well over a million people have eaten CWD positive deer... Still waiting for that jump.
Lu Rome

Unread postby Lu Rome » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:31 am

UntouchableNess wrote:
Ironic that the DNR says test it before eating, but then claim that it won't cross over into people.....

They don't say that "it won't", just that there isn't any evidence that it can. Like Dan said, lot's of people consume positive deer every year and it's not happened. However, due to the nature of the disease and all the unknowns, the risk isn't zero, it might be really close to zero but it's not zero. The state is just doing their due diligence because of that fact.
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:37 am

dan wrote:
MN_DeerHunter wrote:I don't have it around me fortunately (yet anyways) but I would have my deer tested for sure if I was in a known CWD area. Pretty much all governmental organizations are advising against eating it. In my opinion there hasn't been enough long-term testing done to prove that the disease can't jump to humans, and I think it will make the jump to humans eventually.

They have been eating the deer out west where CWD has been longer than I have been alive and don't even bother with testing anymore for the past 50+ years... I would say well over a million people have eaten CWD positive deer... Still waiting for that jump.

Yep. I worry much more about real dangers I deal with every single day. Heck most days I fear for my life with the idiots on the road. Way more dangerous than CWD.

How many people die every single year from food sold in stores that is supposedly inspected? I would rather eat a CWD infected deer any day before some of the crap sold in stores.

In the late 90’s our group tagged out on Mule deer in NW Nebraska. We found out later that the area specifically where we hunted tested extremely high for positive CWD. I can almost guarantee that at least one of us had a positive deer. We ate them all and 20 years later we are all still here with no negative effects. Little memory loss but that’s due to old age. :lol:
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:49 am

Dewey wrote:
dan wrote:

Yep. I worry much more about real dangers I deal with every single day. Heck most days I fear for my life with the idiots on the road. Way more dangerous than CWD.

How many people die every single year from food sold in stores that is supposedly inspected? I would rather eat a CWD infected deer any day before some of the crap sold in stores.

In the late 90’s our group tagged out on Mule deer in NW Nebraska. We found out later that the area specifically where we hunted tested extremely high for positive CWD. I can almost guarantee that at least one of us had a positive deer. We ate them all and 20 years later we are all still here with no negative effects. Little memory loss but that’s due to old age. :lol:

I definitely understand your points and where you and Dan are coming from. Stuff like that just makes me nervous I guess, especially with all the press lately in MN. I guess my thought is that if a test is readily available I would probably have it done for my own peace of mind.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:53 am

Dewey wrote:
dan wrote:

No one ever said anything about any possibility of people getting sick until the WDNR found CWD here, and that was a political move by a politician named Jim Doyle that was intended to strike fear in Wisconsinites to get them on board with knocking down the deer numbers. Doyle was in bed with the insurance agencys and when he left office they gave him a nice cushy big dollar job for his services. It was not driven by biologists, it was driven by a politician...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:56 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:
dan wrote:

I definitely understand your points and where you and Dan are coming from. Stuff like that just makes me nervous I guess, especially with all the press lately in MN. I guess my thought is that if a test is readily available I would probably have it done for my own peace of mind.

I don't blame you... Just saying don't trust everything you read in the papers or hear from your state agencies. CWD is nothing to fear, but if your skeptical, testing won't hurt you. I just personally think it won't help you much either.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:05 am

Plenty of articles out there like this.

http://www.virology.ws/2015/03/11/is-ch ... to-humans/

There are also some that say it CAN possibly cross over to humans. All we can do is make our own decisision according to our own personal beliefs.

I must say though that I gotta laugh when a guy that smokes, drinks excessively and lives on fast food tells me that I shouldn’t eat deer because I will get CWD. :roll: :lol:
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:55 am

Dewey wrote:Plenty of articles out there like this.

http://www.virology.ws/2015/03/11/is-ch ... to-humans/

There are also some that say it CAN possibly cross over to humans. All we can do is make our own decisision according to our own personal beliefs.

I must say though that I gotta laugh when a guy that smokes, drinks excessively and lives on fast food tells me that I shouldn’t eat deer because I will get CWD. :roll: :lol:

I must’ve met that same guy. Had a laborer tell me I shouldn’t eat fish because they are toxic. Did this with a cigarette in one hand, fistful of red man in his mouth, and a jumbo can of Red Bull in the other hand. I have no idea how he could work all day on just that stuff.

If I get sick and die from eating venison, I promise I’ll get the next one tested
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”