Getting better?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Are you getting better at hunting big bucks?

Yes
83%
NO. Getting worse
5%
Staying the same
12%

Total votes: 138
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Getting better?

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:58 pm

In your opinion are you getting better at hunting big bucks? Are you going down hill? Or staying the same? After clicking the poll, explain why.

elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: Getting better?

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:10 pm

At the moment, stagnating at best. I have a 2 year old and a one month old. I am just trying to get out as much as I can this season. But the Beast knowledge I am accruing should last a lifetime.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:10 pm

Yes, gradually. Last year I had encounters with decent public bucks four times in under a dozen sits. That has been a higher percentage than in the past. Just have to control myself better when it counts.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:11 pm

I voted better. I like to think the more you do anything the better you should get. However, I can also see how if one repeatedly does the same wrong things there would be no improvement. To often I feel success or improvement is based on a final result or in this case a kill. One does not have to kill in my opinion to take giant strides in reguards to getting better. My vote for better is based on when I hit the timber this fall, I have spent more time scouting, learned more lessons and made more mistakes than the past year. That makes me personally better.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:17 pm

I’m getting better, just have not hit the jackpot. I went 6 years of hunting public land with only seeing 2 bucks, and very few deer in general. Last year I passed on many 1.5 year old bucks on the public I hunt. Also had a very close encounter with a 2.5 and something bigger. This was all due to the beast and spring scounting.
I have taken mature deer on private land before but I have not killed anything mature on public, and that is primarily what I have hunted since I joined this site. The change from hunting private to public was drastic and I feel like I am 10 times the Hunter today then what I was 5-6 years ago, even though I have not had success. I must also mention 2017 was my first full beast season. I dabbled in 2016 but jumped totally in 2017. I am actually in the ball game now, where as before I was in the parking lot of the stadium.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:23 pm

Slowly but surely getting better. Im defiantly getting closer and hunting in areas big bucks are. Now its just a timing issue, if the buck is in the spots when im hunting. I use to set up in fields and such now im close to bedding and understand why. I know its just a matter of time. Before the beast i would go long periods of time before i would even see a big buck like years. The past 2 years i have seen a few big bucks on alot less sits. To me thats alot better than i was!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
james.morse
Facebook: James Morse

Unread postby james.morse » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:24 pm

I didn't vote because I didn't see the check box for I finally pulled my head out of my but and stopped doing what all the other hunters are doing. I can say this though, I've studied more in the last few months about improving my deer hunting than I've ever done in the past. Once I heard the name Dan Infalt and I listened to every podcast with you on it, I realized I'm really learning something.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:31 pm

I’ve gotten better. I find the hide outs of more big bucks these days instead of relying on luck on 2-3 small private pieces like before. With millions of acres of public in my state it’s just a matter of how much work I want to put in. I had my best year hunting last year in 27 years of hunting. And I feel this year could be better
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:33 pm

Either that or I’m luckier
cantfoou

Unread postby cantfoou » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:51 pm

Anytime I start to think I’m getting better, I think some more and realize Im just getting lucky. Haha
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:53 pm

I voted yes, getting better! before I found the beast I was relying on good luck, pixie dust, and a mentality that if I spent the most hours perched in the wrong spots I could grind out some success.

It's still progressing and I don't ever want to stop changing and learning. Im still scouting at least once a month year round. Every trip into the woods I learn explore and is an adventure, It's no longer a chore. I've killed nice bucks I'm proud of 2 years in a row on public.

I have young kids and don't have the ample time I once did, so I spend more time studying online maps. I have goals and a plan before I go scouting. I think I'm more efficient now. From scouting and finding new fresh areas, My confidence is high going into this upcoming season. I feel like my hunting outings can work if it plays out like I plan.

Deer hunting has a way of keeping us humble and with my blessings these last 2 seasons I could be in for a tough season.

Thank you!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:31 pm

Better - not to repeat everything I've learned here but in summary I hunt with more confidence, I've simplified my approach to the sport, I carry less stuff, I've stopped overthinking it, and I hunt much more aggressively. For example I was in the right area but I was setting up too far away. Through simple scouting I have found beds but also decoded tendencies like which way they are likely to go from the bed. I have way more spots now rather than relying on the same old few. And it's all alot more fun.
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:44 pm

I'm getting better. I'm definitely not where I want to be but I'm a lot closer than I was 4 years ago when I first joined the beast.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:26 pm

I feel I am going to be a better hunter than I ever have been, but I know it may take a while. Taking what I have learned in the last 8 months, I have found in the field beds, that's a first. I have scouted out of season for the first time...a lot! I'm understand better what I see when I'm out there, and why. I'm learning how to use cyber scouting. This is the style of hunting I have truly been longing for all these years, and I am very excited about the future!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Kane0928
Facebook: Alexander James kane

Unread postby Kane0928 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:51 pm

I'm getting better, reason being I'm understanding why I have luck what to look for. This website and all its members have helped broaden my understanding of hunting by thinking why instead if my old inexperienced ways of eventually one will come thru. Since this website I've gone mobile and have had more encounters and better luck then anyone that's taught me to hunt or I still hunt with. In terms of beast set ups I still gave alot to go, but understanding of why I've made alot of progress.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”