Getting better?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Are you getting better at hunting big bucks?

Yes
83%
NO. Getting worse
5%
Staying the same
12%

Total votes: 138
Chuck B
500 Club

Re: Getting better?

Unread postby Chuck B » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:54 am

Getting better.

I have had two close encounters last year with the two biggest bucks in my area. One, I mis hit with the bow, and the other I didn't take the shot (regrettably) with the gun. But, in the past, I wasn't expecting to see the big boys unless I got lucky. I am changing my previous thoughts of "hope I get lucky" into the "expectation" that I will have a chance at the big boys. Knowledge is power when it comes to anything, especially hunting big bucks.

If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:19 am

After joining the hunting Beast, I I'm now understand just how close to buck bedding you have to be in order to see a big buck. you have basically a 20-minute "kill window" that if you cannot exploit, you cannot regularly kill big bucks. Though I don't have much experience putting these tactics in practice, I'm still a better scouter and I have a better comprehension of how and what I have to do in order to get a big bucks.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
Lu Rome

Unread postby Lu Rome » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:20 am

I voted yes, but I'm learning that the more I learn, the less I actually know.
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:52 am

Getting better.. Learning where the big ones have been the whole time I've hunted, looking back at all the big bucks I've seen (while bow/gun hunting in my early years, pheasant hunting, or just driving, etc.) and it "clicking" in my head on why I seen them there. I've seen more and bigger bucks by eliminating the spots/tactics that I always hunted because I thought they looked good but in reality, it wasn't what I should've been hunting.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:13 am

I chose staying the same. Wounded 2 nice public bucks last year and never recovered them :cry:

Also havnt done much scouting the past couple years.
The_Real_Jmill

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:22 am

Definitely getting better. I have hunted swamp edges for most deer I have harvested. I am becoming more knowledgeable about wind and thermals. Last year was my first year with a mobile setup. I am evolving and seeing results, I Am seeing the same amount of deer as before, maybe a few less actually but i am seeing older more mature deer. Also feel comfortable to do a diy out of state hill country hunt this year with all I have learned here which is exciting, always love a new challenge.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:33 am

When comparing myself now to this time last year, undoubtedly, getting better. The question is whether I'm good enough. I've had no issues harvesting bucks but now my goals are changing. I'm curious how I'd answer this question this time next year.
Natenlsn2

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:12 pm

Better for sure! I have finally discovered buck bedding through Dan’s tips, just finding bedding alone puts the pieces of the puzzle together for me so much more!
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:12 pm

I have been having more encounters with bigger buck and on a more consistent basis. I owe it to this site for that. I have learned so much.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
BAS4109

Unread postby BAS4109 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:36 am

Getting better slowly. Not over hunting my spots and being more patient helped a ton. Now with help from this site I am hoping to take it to the next level.

Ironically I think having kids helped too. I used to hunt constantly but now I hunt less and have to plan ahead for every hunt.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:05 am

I'm definitely not as good at getting chances at big bucks as I was 15 years ago. Especially the last 10. Simply because of my health, but I am much better at not letting buck fever get me.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”