Early SD archery opener?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Early SD archery opener?

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:05 am

Just saw on Fb that South Dakota voted in favor of a Sept 1st archery opener. Not 100% sure if it’s effective this year.

Anyone have more info??

cattailcrusher

Re: Early SD archery opener?

Unread postby cattailcrusher » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:16 am

From what I see on the SDgfp website is that the opener is still on sept. 22, I know that archery antelope and elk opener is on the 1st. If it got voted to change, I would guess that it wont be changed till next year.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:22 pm

I believe the vote just happened on Friday. One member (Of a SD hunting group) said he contacted a GFP official and he said the new season opener comes into effect this year. I can see how they wouldn’t have the website updated mere hours after the vote. But can also see how info off a fb page could be false :lol:

There were guys who were disappointed and concerned for those fortunate enough to draw elk tags since they previously had the woods to themselves during that time frame.

Others seemed worried about the effect it would have regarding pressure on trophy bucks especially west river mulies. Some mentioned putting a cap on NR archery tags because of it. Others mentioned hiking tag prices.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
bh bowhunter

Unread postby bh bowhunter » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:05 am

Just read the same info on facebook, but I haven't seen anything official yet. I will be curious to know if the Sept 1st opener includes the Black Hills where I hunt. All the extra hunters in the woods will definitely have an impact on the archery elk season.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:14 am

bh bowhunter wrote:Just read the same info on facebook, but I haven't seen anything official yet. I will be curious to know if the Sept 1st opener includes the Black Hills where I hunt. All the extra hunters in the woods will definitely have an impact on the archery elk season.

I Think they should implement a limited draw for the coveted zones like the hills. Most of the state pressure is pretty low. So I don’t see an issue for 90% of the state, but I agree certain areas it could cause conflict.

And with the amount of time it takes to draw that elk tag it sure would suck to have some jabroni come in and ruin your hunt.
cattailcrusher

Unread postby cattailcrusher » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:10 am

As you said it will be interesting to see how it plays out, an early opener would attract a lot more NR's. And they definitely don't need to make the hunters who draw a elk tag any more worked up, with the draw statistics already being such a sore subject. :lol:
cattailcrusher

Unread postby cattailcrusher » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:19 am

Also those extra few weeks before the ducks hunters hit the sloughs would be awesome.
cattailcrusher

Unread postby cattailcrusher » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:15 am

Just saw that the archery season is indeed going to begin on the 1st of september this year, it didn't say if they put in any special regulations when in comes to hunting in the hills.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:18 pm

cattailcrusher wrote:Just saw that the archery season is indeed going to begin on the 1st of september this year, it didn't say if they put in any special regulations when in comes to hunting in the hills.

I’m betting it’s something that gets worked into the equation. Maybe next year? Who knows.

I get the feeling it’s a few of the guys that hunt the best highest pressure zones that are doing the complaining. I was talking with a couple guys today (who have also bowhunted WR) and they both shook their head about too much pressure. They don’t see much where they hunt either.

The biggest question for me is when do I go to SD now? I asked the wife if she preferred me being gone 7 strait days or two long weekends. She wasn’t sure :D I have thought about doing an opening weekend hunt then rut hunt.

There’s some East river stuff I’m dying to get to. Was thinking of trying it for a velvet whitetail. Then again velvet mulies sound fun too. Idk what to do :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”