How Often Do You Shoot in the Off-Season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

How often do you shoot your bow in off season?

3-5x plus per week.
46%
1x per week.
12%
Maybe a couple times a month.
19%
Oh crap, season's starting, I better fling a few!
24%

Total votes: 102
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: How Often Do You Shoot in the Off-Season?

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:27 am

wiscbowhntr wrote:I shoot everyday, but that is because I love shooting bows. I shoot multiple quality shots, I dont fling arrows just for the fun of it. I have a mantra that I use while shooting and make notes in my phone of any form issues I may be going through. I respectfully disagree with the one only arrow practice method. I personally think most that use the one shot method are avoiding confronting form and target panic issues. The form or panic issue may not creep up during one a day shot practice, but it will definitely rear its head with a deer heart as the 10 ring.

I recently listened to a W2H podcast with Joel Turner, I think #206, in which he spoke a lot about this type of shot training. I love the idea of saying a shot mantra, and have incorporated one in my shooting, a four step phrase. 1)Go hard or go home 2)a kill shot alone (this through the draw back and line up). Once target is in sights 3) I'm on it (at this point finger is on trigger, pin finding it's spot) 4) Good to go, good to go (back tension until release). Yeah, it's corny, but it works for me.

The podcast is a good listen, Joel gets a bit heady and philosophical about shooting a bow, but he has some great tips for improving accuracy and overcoming target panic.

Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:31 pm

Bought my first bow 2 yrs. ago. First 2 yrs., I shot a ton. This year I may shoot every day of the week but, 3 at 20 yds., 3 at 30. Take my time and try to visualize, think itthrough. Wise choice for me. Better job, more fun, more confidence.Will get out to 40 and that is good enough for me.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:58 pm

Just shot at least 50 arrows out of my Bear Kodiak. For me that’s a lot of arrows but I was just having so much fun I couldn’t stop. Haven’t picked it up for awhile. Forgot how great it feels to shoot bare-bow. 8-)
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:43 am

Not near as much as I should but I still try to get it out at least 1-2 times a week.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:25 am

tgreeno wrote:I think not shooting during the season, is a problem alot of guys have. Maybe not guys on here. But they shoot a bunch before season, then never shooting during season to keep sharp.

I try to shoot a few arrows before every hunt to give me that added confidence.

I'm guilty of this. This could be my big focus for this season. Always improving is my goal.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”