Oak ridge with marsh below

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

amanda121287
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amanda.hackey.9887

Oak ridge with marsh below

Unread postby amanda121287 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:13 pm

Quick question about these ridges that have marshes on the bottom... I went scouting Sunday morning and found a ton of beds on the points as indicated in hill country DVD. Usually we have a nw wind and ridge rubs east west with marsh to south. The beds have no cover so I was wondering if these are night beds where they are laying down after eating? I scouted the marsh and did bump a nice 8 point off of an island that had dogwood around it and found some other beds.

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: Oak ridge with marsh below

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:03 pm

I have to ask , is this public? If there is not much cover around these beds they are probably not buck beds. Kinda sounds like a doe bedding area. But yes there is a chance it could be night time bedding too. By you saying, a ton of beds is what makes me think it probably doe bedding.
If there is marsh or swamp with in a mile or so from a place i want to hunt and i have access to it, you can bet that i will be wading some water every chance i get. There will be many beast on here that will tell you to hunt the marsh, they almost always holds big bucks, especially if there is a bunch of hunting pressure!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:34 am

Hunting pressure and predators might dictate where they bed, or seasonal. If there is no pressure they might stay up on the ridge, summer they probably bed in the ridge to stay away from the bugs, could still be good early season as well. If the pressure is up and leaves are down they might bed down in the marsh. In situations like this be very careful with the thermals coming off the ridge, the buck will try to sniff the as much of the area as he can so you have to plan your setups accordingly.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:16 am

I would expect if there is a lack of cover in the hills, The bucks your after are down in the marsh... As stated, thermal drop in the evening can kill your hunt pretty quick at the bottom of those hills think about your set ups carefully.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”