For those who can't find Milk weed. Try Cotton wood seeds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NEHunter

For those who can't find Milk weed. Try Cotton wood seeds

Unread postby NEHunter » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:30 am

Milk weed is easy to find and collect around me but I see some people just don't live within the species region. I was at work today and noticed the cotton woods were pouring out seed like crazy. They glide super easy and are smaller than milk weed, lacking that large seed. What seed is on it doesn't seem to weigh it down like milk weed.
Harvesting them would be pretty time sensitive but you can find custers on them on the ground or on the lower branches. Only real downside is they are not easily collected and you probably need a lot because of the size of them. I tend to zone out and use a lot of milk weed ha ha.
I'll be honest if I could have collected more I would have. I really think the smaller size will glide further. I think there is some similar species towards the Midwest/South and I would assume they would have similar seed production.

Thought this might help some people out there.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: For those who can't find Milk weed. Try Cotton wood seeds

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:45 am

:lol: I posted about this last year. Nice find and I really like using them.

Big thanks to the Boogieman for finding a bunch and sending me some :handgestures-thumbupleft:
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:36 am

Yeah, these are why I am sneezing outside this week! :lol:

I have a fascination with seeds. I see them as a brilliantly designed piece of creation. And this tree is one of the most amazing of them all. To think those giant trees have their beginning from such a tiny speck is something else. And the method of spreading the seed on the wind, miles in some cases, is genius. This incredible design ranks right up there with the maple tree's little helicopter seeds. 8-)
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Tree Jockey
Facebook: Curt Simpkins

Unread postby Tree Jockey » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:01 am

I use cottonwood and I found a great way to harvest a whole hunting seasons worth in 2 minutes. I go to the air handling unit at work which pulls in air for the building A.C. It will have a 1/8 inch thick matt of cottonwood seed this time of year. . Scrape it off put in a zip lock an store in dry place til time to hunt. Tear small pieces off an fluff them up a little before releasing. Check your A.C at home also.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:27 am

Cottonwood is an excellent substitute for wilkweed. You can watch it follow air currents skyward higher than the tallest trees... another easy way to collect it is the edge of a road or driveway by the trees. The grass / weeds act as a collector. You can grab it by the handful and fill as many containers as you want.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:46 am

brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:39 pm

Because i will be sneezing in the tree then!! There are sime places around here where it is against ordinances to plant cottonwood trees which im fine with lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”