New OH regs for the '18-19 season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sdonx

Re: New OH regs for the '18-19 season

Unread postby sdonx » Wed May 30, 2018 2:54 pm

I have only hunted the late Muzzleloader seasons. We saw a huge decline in the area we hunted about 3-4 years ago. We moved south and found way more deer. The Amish however followed me wherever I go...geesh
We are bow hunting in October next year, I am very excited about this. I will have a chance to scout the last week of Sept. as its my daughters parents day at a PA college is then, I am sending my wife and son east as I go west to scout...beast style... :whistle:

flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Thu May 31, 2018 2:34 am

I'm really disappointed that they no longer have the reduced price non-res youth license. I have taken my son for the past three years and it doesn't look like he will be hunting Ohio this year because of the cost. It's hard to justify paying the same price I would pay for him to hunt 1-2 days of the season. The rest I am ok with,
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Thu May 31, 2018 4:09 am

My base non-res license for turkey hunting (not including tag) was $141 earlier this month.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu May 31, 2018 4:46 am

flinginairos wrote:I'm really disappointed that they no longer have the reduced price non-res youth license. I have taken my son for the past three years and it doesn't look like he will be hunting Ohio this year because of the cost. It's hard to justify paying the same price I would pay for him to hunt 1-2 days of the season. The rest I am ok with,

I just saw that, man that sucks. Last year was the first time I took my oldest boy over and he shot his first deer in youth season. 182 dollars for two days of hunting is a little much for a 9 year old.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Thu May 31, 2018 4:50 am

WV Bowhunter wrote:
flinginairos wrote:I'm really disappointed that they no longer have the reduced price non-res youth license. I have taken my son for the past three years and it doesn't look like he will be hunting Ohio this year because of the cost. It's hard to justify paying the same price I would pay for him to hunt 1-2 days of the season. The rest I am ok with,

I just saw that, man that sucks. Last year was the first time I took my oldest boy over and he shot his first deer in youth season. 182 dollars for two days of hunting is a little much for a 9 year old.

Yeah, not happy about that. I understand the overall increase, but to keep kids involved I think they need to keep a reduced price license for them. I'm sure there are lots of people that won't take there kids now because of the price. It was $22 dollars for the tag and license before so it's a huge increase.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Thu May 31, 2018 7:02 am

I'm encouraged by this change. I've personally noticed a decline in deer numbers especially on Public. Now I hunt a lot of private and still have great deer numbers there but it does seem the age structure has fallen off recently for whatever reason.

I know you guys were talking about the Amish and I have first hand experience with them. They leased property next to ours for 1 season. We went and talked with them and they swore they were different and didn't just shoot everything that moved. Well shotgun season rolled around and it was like world war 3. They did drive after drive, filled their enclosed trailer full of deer and were caught trespassing on our property. We watched them sneak up to the fence line and take a pop shot at a young buck eating out in our field. We confronted them and they tried saying they were tracking a wounded deer. Took that property years to recover.
gravebeforeshave80

Unread postby gravebeforeshave80 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:06 am

Being a life long resident of ohio, I like the new regulation. However if it is not obeyed then it really wont make much of a difference..I would much rather they got his route than a point restriction..be a tough pill for me to call off my 8 year old on his 1st deer because it don't have x points on a side
Terry Urban Jr
NW OHIO
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Thu May 31, 2018 2:15 pm

gravebeforeshave80 wrote:I would much rather they got his route than a point restriction..be a tough pill for me to call off my 8 year old on his 1st deer because it don't have x points on a side

I agree with you on the point restriction. I'm not a fan of telling hunters you can't shoot a deer because he isn't so big. That fork or spike might be that hunter's only opportunity to harvest a deer. Regardless of age, he shouldn't be denied, he paid his license fee same as the guy hunting for a 10 point mature deer.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Brian1986

Unread postby Brian1986 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:35 am

gravebeforeshave80 wrote:However if it is not obeyed then it really wont make much of a difference..

You hit the nail on the head. In my opinion if the ODNR is worried about numbers they need to take another look at the online license and deer check system and perhaps go back to the old style of buying a license at a store/ checking a deer at a check station. I like the convenience of online. But it's far too easy to take advantage of it. An unethical person could print off their deer tag at home, make numerous copies of the tag, and in theory kill as many doe's as they want & appear to be getting out of the woods legally with a tag attached to the deer filled out with all their information. If they do the butchering themselves, they would never have to finish the check in process and continue hunting on a copy of the tag. That makes it awfully hard for wildlife officers to enforce the rules.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:39 pm

I saw very few deer and little sign and I covered 10 plus miles in a few days
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:49 pm

flinginairos wrote:
WV Bowhunter wrote:

Yeah, not happy about that. I understand the overall increase, but to keep kids involved I think they need to keep a reduced price license for them. I'm sure there are lots of people that won't take there kids now because of the price. It was $22 dollars for the tag and license before so it's a huge increase.

I have taken my son a few years to Ohio, as he gets older it gets harder due to school. One of the benefits of bringing him out of state has been the reduce cost. I will spend whatever it takes but thats not the point. How many families just draw the line at the cost. It's hard enough to try and schedule my sons schoolwork/ sports etc. Now the misses can veto due to cost. When they change something like that they don't realize the spiraling effect it has.
gravebeforeshave80

Unread postby gravebeforeshave80 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:00 am

Brian1986 wrote:
gravebeforeshave80 wrote:However if it is not obeyed then it really wont make much of a difference..

You hit the nail on the head. In my opinion if the ODNR is worried about numbers they need to take another look at the online license and deer check system and perhaps go back to the old style of buying a license at a store/ checking a deer at a check station. I like the convenience of online. But it's far too easy to take advantage of it. An unethical person could print off their deer tag at home, make numerous copies of the tag, and in theory kill as many doe's as they want & appear to be getting out of the woods legally with a tag attached to the deer filled out with all their information. If they do the butchering themselves, they would never have to finish the check in process and continue hunting on a copy of the tag. That makes it awfully hard for wildlife officers to enforce the rules.

I know what your mean with the tag system however a poacher will poach regardless of the system or rules in place
Terry Urban Jr
NW OHIO
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:09 pm

gravebeforeshave80 wrote:
Brian1986 wrote:

I know what your mean with the tag system however a poacher will poach regardless of the system or rules in place

I agree if someone is gonna poach they will do it regardless of the tagging system. Im personally a fan of the telecheck for the fact that we are able to field quarter.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:06 pm

Matt6506 wrote:
Brian1986 wrote:

I agree if someone is gonna poach they will do it regardless of the tagging system. Im personally a fan of the telecheck for the fact that we are able to field quarter.

Poachers will definitely poach. I follow the IN DNR on social media. These guys are models of publicly blasting offenders. Every time I run in to ODNR I recommend they check it out. It’s gotta make a criminal second guess doing it if they know public shaming is an outcome.
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:47 am

Evanszach7 wrote:
Matt6506 wrote:
Brian1986 wrote:

Poachers will definitely poach. I follow the IN DNR on social media. These guys are models of publicly blasting offenders. Every time I run in to ODNR I recommend they check it out. It’s gotta make a criminal second guess doing it if they know public shaming is an outcome.

I Agree
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”