Morning glassing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Robertpgrissom86

Morning glassing

Unread postby Robertpgrissom86 » Sun May 20, 2018 5:36 am

So, my evenings are pretty taken up with family stuff so I’ve been thinking about glassing fields from shooting light
til a little after sunrise. Has anyone had any luck doing this during the summer?

Bogle

Re: Morning glassing

Unread postby Bogle » Sun May 20, 2018 1:46 pm

I guess it depends on where you are set up. I have very little luck glassing in the a.m.. The few times I have had success with it has been when there is some type of food crop in the field. Even with that most of the bucks I have seen have been young.
swwave24

Unread postby swwave24 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:55 pm

I’ve wondered the same thing. I’ve glassed in the evening and shined at night with success. I could see glassing in the morning being effective if you can locate his travel route back to his bedroom.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:06 pm

When I was a kid and spent every waking minute watching deer I glassed some in the morning too. I saw less deer overall but still some nice bucks. Try to observe open areas closest to bedding, you usually see the deer for a brief time browsing along the edges. I also had good luck glassing CRP in the morning where deer bed - they stay up browsing for a while in the morning.

Just like evening glassing you see the most activity with the best weather conditions. High pressure, low humidity. In the summer is when I also see the strongest correlation with more deer on their feet with moon overhead and underfoot. In the fall I've struggle to see that.

You won't always see much at first light - often its around sunup or after that they get back up out of a night bed and browse back to where they will bed for the day. Just what I saw in the summers...that's what I see while hunting too. Either a buck is in his bedding area before light, or he doesn't get there for an hour or two after daylight, rare to see something in the middle.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:13 am

I’ve seen an absolute pile of deer on my drive from Stevens point to Milwaukee this morning. Passed up a slam dunk shot on a doe and fawn with the truck. Came to a complete stop on the interstate and they just scratched their bellies.

Tons of roadkill as well
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”