Hill country bed (pics)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

Hill country bed (pics)

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:15 am

Figured I'd post for some of the newer guys. If you are new to looking for beds you may be looking for something that's right in front of you and you don't even notice it.

This bed, I may have missed had I not watched the buck leave it.

I was coming down a point and kept looking for rubs marking the bed I was sure was there. I was also turkey hunting so not looking 100% hard for a bed..the point will get hunted. It's covered in great sign.

Anyways...I watched him jump out of the bed...

The actual bed is the spot that has a little bit of leaf disturbance. It's not completely barren. It's not completely compact.

If you look closely at the saplings they have rubs on them. Absolutely nothing to turn a head.

I've looked for beds in PA and Michigan and find that these type beds are more common than barren best down beds marked with giant rubs etc.

Why? I don't know. In this case, on a point, I'd imagine they shift around the point based on wind variations. Also, being hill country and on a point, they are only using that point on specific winds. I still need to double check the wind for yesterday. But I remember it was right for the layout of the point.

Thought I'd share. It's something that could VERY easily been missed or maybe noticed but ruled out because it doesn't look like much. I kicked a live buck from it literally 30 seconds prior...

elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: Hill country bed (pics)

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri May 18, 2018 8:23 am

Yep. I'd bet there are several if not a dozen or more similar beds in that bedding area. The majority of heavily worn beds I find in PA are does.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Fri May 18, 2018 8:26 am

Is this located on the Mil crest of the point? The pics almost make it look flat and the cover looks sparse too. Great find.
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:35 pm

Why on Earth would you hunt Pa AND Michigan?! Two of the most pressured states. You must really like a challenge! ;)
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri May 18, 2018 1:56 pm

Ashreve93 wrote:Why on Earth would you hunt Pa AND Michigan?! Two of the most pressured states. You must really like a challenge! ;)

Big bucks are everywhere!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:13 am

This particular point was interesting. It's only maybe 40 yes wide. It's a narrow point. And it has a distinct bench 40-60ish feet below the top of the ridge. This particular bed was on the bench near what would be the 2nd crest...the edge of the bench. He couldn't quite see down the point which I found interesting.

I rarely find buck beds in hill country with anymore cover than that. IMO they like the open for the field of view. Sometimes there's brush or tree tops or a boulder or something as a back drop..

I live in Pennsylvania...dated a girl in Michigan and hunted up there a couple years. I do enjoy a challenge. Feels good dragging one out you worked hard for.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”