How to approach big woods w/flat topography

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: How to approach big woods w/flat topography

Unread postby headgear » Tue May 15, 2018 12:42 am

Something else to consider in bigwoods is there are generally less deer and everything is a bit more spread out so don't worry if you don't find the goods right away. Sometimes those beds feels like a needle in a hay stack but when you find them they have a reason to bed there, learn those reasons and the next bed will be easier to find. Sometimes I only find one decent buck bed per square mile, sometimes several but it all depends on the area.

Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:23 am

Bump.

Very good read. I am tackling the big woods for the first time this year and I understand everything about looking for transitions and treating mature timber like cattails. That all makes perfect sense to me. However, one thing I am unclear about it how to set up your stand when you find these thick edges... Do you set up in the open hardwoods looking towards the thicket so you have shooting lanes and a full view (expecting the deer to walk on the outside edge of the thicket)? Or do you set up in the thick nasty stuff and hope the buck travels under your stand. Or find a thick area with a suitable shooting lane?

I'm sure it will make more sense to me when I put boots on the ground, but right now it just seems quite a bit different than what I've hunted in the past. Either way, I would love to hear a little more discussion about specific stand placement.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:50 am

headgear wrote:Got an aerials? I would focus on the swamps, edges, a mess of blow downs, thick stuff as you mentions, anything that breaks up the terrain. Rarely is anything 100% flat so even a small rise can make a good bedding area. Any rivers, ponds or lakes nearby? They can make a great barrier or standing water can create a thermal pull to make an average bedding spot even better.

What he said ...lol
plus try to identify food sources.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”