Dogs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Redman232

Re: Dogs

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed May 09, 2018 5:51 am

Redman232 wrote:We have a leash law in Indiana. Hunting breeds are exempt, so if you were to shoot a hunting breed, you'd have to do it outside of a season and during a period in which dog running is not allowed, maybe not face prosecution. Dogs and cats do a lot of damage, I'm surprised by how many here are against shooting dogs, not saying its right or wrong, just surprising to me. Every person has a different opinion on how animals should be treated, I certainly wouldn't think less of a person for taking out a dog acting aggressively or chasing game off a property they have sunk their hard earned money into. Not sure what I would do because I've not been in that position. I did put one down at my house, that wouldn't listen and was a mean SOB that showed up out of nowhere. I do shoot every cat that I see at home or while hunting, so maybe I'm heartless. My opinion is if your stupid enough to let your pet terrorize the wildlife that is a shared resource, then you can deal with the consequences.
I drove 6 hrs one way a couple weeks ago to turkey hunt in Kentucky. Nobody hunts the surrounding properties from what we were told. We had access to 160 acres, the birds were the most skiddish turkey's i have ever seen. They would not leave the timber and didn't lounge around. Every turkey we saw was running like it was scared(we did bump them). The last day of our hunt 2 large pyrenees ran thru the cedars and busted up a flock. The landowner informed us that those two dogs ruin about every other deer hunt. I know what I would do if that was my property.

That was supposed to say we did NOT bump them.

Catskills

Unread postby Catskills » Wed May 09, 2018 8:44 am

It was said but not stressed enough. Call your local fish and game, wildlife officers etc. In NY they are the DEC. They should be able to assist. If not, call the animal control and they will handle it.

Out of curiosity, travelling 2000 miles to hunt? Must be some great stomping grounds! Or coming from out of the country?
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed May 09, 2018 9:20 am

Catskills wrote:It was said but not stressed enough. Call your local fish and game, wildlife officers etc. In NY they are the DEC. They should be able to assist. If not, call the animal control and they will handle it.

Out of curiosity, travelling 2000 miles to hunt? Must be some great stomping grounds! Or coming from out of the country?

Depends on your state. Here animal control is city limits only and the DNR officers can't do anything. When we called sheriff they said there are no leash laws out of city limits.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:57 am

A hunting dog has a collar or a gps and has an owner in the vicinity keeping tabs on the dog. Im not shooting first on a dog or cat ever. If it's a known stray and I've had history with that animal and other avenues aren't working, id have no problem killing it. I've done it once before, so I guess I'm cold and heartless. A stray dog or cat is a non native species and has no place running wild in my opinion.

It's ok to eradicate kudzu, Asian carp, and zebra muscles because they are invasive species. Bob barker used to beg us to spay or neuter your pets.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Wed May 09, 2018 1:54 pm

I have never had a dog ruin a hunt... sounds frustrating! When I was young, we used to use a BB gun to get dogs to leave the yard. 1 zinger to the but kept most dogs from returning. Maybe a good co2 pistol in the stand would "educate" the dog on where not to run.
Last week, my 6 year old opened the door while I was hauling in groceries, and our lab got out. Fortunately, for me, the cat was the first creature he saw, and I was able to catch him while he treed her. If instead he would have seen a bird, I would likely still be chasing him!
I would not want someone to kill our family dog because he got loose and did what dogs do... Chase stuff. Therefore, I would not kill another person's pet, unless it was being aggressive.

It's that whole"do unto others" thing. :think:
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Catskills

Unread postby Catskills » Thu May 10, 2018 3:22 am

Does the state you are hunting in have hunter harassment laws? I was thinking that if a dog seems to be interfering with your hunt on your land that the owner would be responsible. May be a stretch but worth a shot. The forest rangers stressed reporting hunter harassment in the hunter/trapper safety classes. Get a video of it and send it to them.
jmickey

Unread postby jmickey » Fri May 11, 2018 2:15 pm

I can’t see how some people just leave their hounds run where ever and whenever they please. I own two beagles myself and I want to know what my hounds are running. I am constantly watching my Garmin track and train collar. If they get close to the boundary line I’m right with them even when they are hot on a track. I also try to stay away from where people deer hunt. Usually my running grounds is where everybody runs hounds. As for shooting someone’s dog, I couldn’t do it. Some states you could be nailed with fines and possibly jail time. I would start with the owner, maybe talk with them first. If that don’t work I would look into talking with the game commission.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”