This Map Spells Trouble for the Future of Deer Hunting by Lindsay Thomas Jr.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Old Ireland

Re: This Map Spells Trouble for the Future of Deer Hunting by Lindsay Thomas Jr.

Unread postby Old Ireland » Fri May 11, 2018 1:35 am

Yes in this case I think the cure may be worse then the disease for populations. In the void of solid or legit science the consequences will likely be extreme. I imagine It will get worse when political interests start to collide.

Hatchet Jack

Re: This Map Spells Trouble for the Future of Deer Hunting by Lindsay Thomas Jr.

Unread postby Hatchet Jack » Fri May 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Dewey wrote:
Hatchet Jack wrote:Why is CWD that prevalent in Wisconsin?

Because it's tested much more here than anywhere else. I'm betting if deer are extensively tested in a state where CWD hasn't been found yet they will find positives. Can't find what your not looking for.

Why is it tested for more in Wisconsin then anywhere else? We have CWD zones in Va, but our map doesnt light up like a christmas tree. Somethings gotta be going on...
Old Ireland

Unread postby Old Ireland » Sat May 12, 2018 1:41 am

Hatchet Jack wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Hatchet Jack wrote:Why is CWD that prevalent in Wisconsin?

Because it's tested much more here than anywhere else. I'm betting if deer are extensively tested in a state where CWD hasn't been found yet they will find positives. Can't find what your not looking for.

Why is it tested for more in Wisconsin then anywhere else? We have CWD zones in Va, but our map doesnt light up like a christmas tree. Somethings gotta be going on...

I looked somethings up on the dnr's and they found it in Wisconsin in 2002 and Virginia in 2009 so give it some time, but it looked like Wisconsin screens 72 counties. I don't think many states are testing at as high a rate but I could be reading it wrong. It seems most states are just testing at a high rate in the hot zones and less in surrounding collar counties. I think education about transportation and spreading could slow the progress but historically it doesn't appear you can stop the spread. The strategy of sharpshooting and killing all the deer in the area is not working in my opinion and like Dan said, it could make things worse because of animal dispersal. Either way you can't control for all the possible variables of how it can spread.

My concern is with the current strategy if you go in and kill 100 deer over night and drastically reduce numbers in an area. How do we know if we are not killing most of the resistant animals in the area?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”