Which DVD?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

J Gilbert
Facebook: Instagram: Jonathan Gilbert

Which DVD?

Unread postby J Gilbert » Tue May 01, 2018 9:00 am

Good afternoon gentlemen,

I'm wanting to order one of Dan's DVDs to see what this is all about, and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I live and hunt in Georgia, on a 1300ac pine plantation with roughly 300ac of fields and around 300ac of clearcuts from 5-10 years old, either volunteered back to pine or replanted in rows. No water to speak of outside of a couple of small ponds (one 5ac, a few .25ac) so no swamps or creeks and no real elevation change (less than 100ft for the entire property).

I'm trying to decide which video to start with- I feel like the Farm Country DVD would be applicable given the ag that we hunt around, but thought the clearcuts in various stages of growth might be more like cattails/swampy areas than the hills and hardwoods typically surrounding ag in the midwest. The deer tend to bed more in the clearcuts than anywhere else, so that's where I'm trying to focus currently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dpierce72
500 Club

Re: Which DVD?

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:53 am

I just ordered them all :lol: including bear/turkey.

If price an issue, considering your area in GA, I’d probably go hill country as I think it’s more applicable than marsh/swamp based on your description.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue May 01, 2018 11:22 am

Farm bedding should be available in about 1 month... If you saw a farm DVD for sale thats not ours and not near as tactical or spam free. I think for now Swamp bedding would match your terrain best if its pretty flat.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:29 am

Guess I was remembering more about the area I lived in GA. Strike my earlier comment. I yield the floor.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue May 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Dpierce72 wrote:Guess I was remembering more about the area I lived in GA. Strike my earlier comment. I yield the floor.

You might be right... I was basing his statements on the land being fairly flat, but even fairly flat land has elevation based bedding. He said his land varys by maybe 100 feet in elevation, I bet the farm I hunt is similar, and a lot of the bedding is elevation based there. Truth is, the terrain he described probably has transition based bedding and elevation bedding. Flip a coin... Either DVD should tell him right away whether he wants to learn more.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Tue May 01, 2018 9:59 pm

You can always learn how to hunt different terrain types and expand your hunting opportunities. In my particular area of Pennsylvania (obviously Hill Country relates) we have few large cattail marshes and swamps, but the Marsh Bedding and Swamp Bedding principles still apply to even smaller pot holes, low elevation creek bottoms, and swampy lake coves. The point is you'll still learn a heck of a lot and be able to relate it to your home turf.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:51 pm

Totally agree. - which is why I personally own all the videos and drove 9 Hours to the workshop (and spend time here). Wisconsin is VERY different than Arkansas ...but it’s possible to learn transferable principles.

Should have put a smiley face after “Yeild the floor”. It was totally in jest and I was trying to pay honor to the true expert.
J Gilbert
Facebook: Instagram: Jonathan Gilbert

Unread postby J Gilbert » Wed May 02, 2018 2:30 am

I appreciate the replies gentlemen, I fully intend on buying all DVD's but thought it might be easiest to digest one at a time and wanted to get the one that relates best with the land I've been hunting the last 15 years or so- I expect there will be a lot of crossover techniques in the different DVD's given that my type of property isn't so neatly covered by any of them. This is prime timing for me as several properties next to us have recently undergone clearcutting as well, which will change the ways deer with use both their properties and ours.

I believe I'll start with the Swamp Bedding DVD and work through that, and definitely will pick up the Hill Country DVD as I have a friend with land (and great deer) in a different part of the state where that will be more directly in line.

I'm sure I'll be posting more with questions moving forward, thanks for your help.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri May 04, 2018 3:36 am

IMO. I really think that you buy all the videos and watch them and you will see they all relate too each other somehow. I bought all of them and have learned tons
And they are worth every cent
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 04, 2018 5:01 am

TheBuckPsych wrote:IMO. I really think that you buy all the videos and watch them and you will see they all relate too each other somehow. I bought all of them and have learned tons

x2

The DVD's are a small price to pay for the free knowledge shared here. Support Dan and buy the entire collection. I promise they will make you a better hunter.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:42 am

Dewey wrote:
TheBuckPsych wrote:IMO. I really think that you buy all the videos and watch them and you will see they all relate too each other somehow. I bought all of them and have learned tons

x2

The DVD's are a small price to pay for the free knowledge shared here. Support Dan and buy the entire collection. I promise they will make you a better hunter.

x3!!

If your like most of us you'll continually be watching them over and over. So many points that are made. Become easier to understand by watching all of the videos. Bedding in all the different terrain types tend to kind of relate to each other. In some way!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”