Dealing with nasty briars

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Re: Dealing with nasty briars

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Fri May 04, 2018 12:36 am

They can be hard to dodge, so unless you wear a bunch of Carhart, or brush repellent clothing and can handle the blazing heat during summer, there's no way to prevent it all without being careful and moving them out of the way and/or snipping them with snippers on your walkthrough. I have a pair of brush pants, wear long sleeve shirt, and leather material gloves with thick grip and just move them out of the way as I go.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri May 04, 2018 2:03 am

When you get hung up in the briars, spin like a running back in football. Works great. Plus I wear carharts and leather gloves
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri May 04, 2018 3:16 am

ScottSpitzley wrote:They can be hard to dodge, so unless you wear a bunch of Carhart, or brush repellent clothing and can handle the blazing heat during summer, there's no way to prevent it all without being careful and moving them out of the way and/or snipping them with snippers on your walkthrough. I have a pair of brush pants, wear long sleeve shirt, and leather material gloves with thick grip and just move them out of the way as I go.

When its hot out I just take extra water and wear a real heavy light colored sweatshirt. Sweat through it and it becomes an air conditioner with any breeze. Part of the whole mindset be prepared for uncomfortable stuff. If you go in expecting to get soaked, its not unpleasant at all. Some people avoid getting wet from water or sweat, and I'm out there looking for a reason to get soaked. Much more comfortable, for me at least.

I had 2 old heavy cotton sweatshirts I cut into sleeveless crop tops for football in high school and wore them all summer and early fall. Everybody looked at me like I was crazy, but I never had a problem with the heat. Sucked for the first half hour until you sweat through all of it. After that it was the best thing I had next to a 2 gallon water jug. You just need to make sure the stuff can breathe well and let air in and out. Hot air can escape and all the water on your skin cools when you get the slightest breeze.

The only one I struggle with is gloves. I hate wearing them. I just accept the fact my hands will look like I just played hot potato with barbed wire when I am done in the woods.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Fri May 04, 2018 3:28 am

Jonny wrote:
ScottSpitzley wrote:They can be hard to dodge, so unless you wear a bunch of Carhart, or brush repellent clothing and can handle the blazing heat during summer, there's no way to prevent it all without being careful and moving them out of the way and/or snipping them with snippers on your walkthrough. I have a pair of brush pants, wear long sleeve shirt, and leather material gloves with thick grip and just move them out of the way as I go.

When its hot out I just take extra water and wear a real heavy light colored sweatshirt. Sweat through it and it becomes an air conditioner with any breeze. Part of the whole mindset be prepared for uncomfortable stuff. If you go in expecting to get soaked, its not unpleasant at all. Some people avoid getting wet from water or sweat, and I'm out there looking for a reason to get soaked. Much more comfortable, for me at least.

I had 2 old heavy cotton sweatshirts I cut into sleeveless crop tops for football in high school and wore them all summer and early fall. Everybody looked at me like I was crazy, but I never had a problem with the heat. Sucked for the first half hour until you sweat through all of it. After that it was the best thing I had next to a 2 gallon water jug. You just need to make sure the stuff can breathe well and let air in and out. Hot air can escape and all the water on your skin cools when you get the slightest breeze.

The only one I struggle with is gloves. I hate wearing them. I just accept the fact my hands will look like I just played hot potato with barbed wire when I am done in the woods.

That's another way to do it as well..lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”