Aging Beasts How Do You Adapt?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brian1986

Aging Beasts How Do You Adapt?

Unread postby Brian1986 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:38 am

Beast style hunting is pretty physically demanding. As time rolls on and the years of wear & tear takes it's toll on our bodies I am curious how you older beasts especially adjust/adapt your tactics and strategy? If you have limitations how have you compensated for them or plan to compensate for them in the future when they arise?

bh bowhunter

Re: Aging Beasts How Do You Adapt?

Unread postby bh bowhunter » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:11 am

I'm definitely starting to feel my age at 48! Just prepped a treestand yesterday morning, then scouted and shed hunt the rest of the day. I will be sore for the next two days but the yardwork can wait. I will just have to slow down some, but will never quit. I just like being out in the woods to much! I hope to still be bowhunting at age 70, and hope to have many killer spots figured out by then so I don't have to scout as much.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:38 am

Good topic! I'm only 42, but with the amount of physical abuse I have put myself through the last 25 years with work, athletics, and being overweight has me feeling 62.
This is my first full season using these tactics, and my last scout of some river bottom really wore me out. Pulling the legs out of knee deep mud ain't no joke!! But I made it, and after some muscle cramps, bananas and stretching I was doing OK.
I found 3 miles of wetlands scouting is about the limit... beyond that movement becomes difficult for a while afterwards. Keeping it slow and taking breaks helps.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:51 am

I'm scouting more now than I did when I was younger. But I think shorter trips are the key! Recovery can take longer these days also. But I try to get out a couple days a week.

I'm 53 and still playing pick-up basketball in the winter & softball in the summer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:24 am

tgreeno wrote:
I'm 53 and still playing pick-up basketball in the winter & softball in the summer.

I'm jealous, these were my favorite two sports to play. Because of my knees I had to give up b-ball years ago, last year I finally gave up softball. :cry:
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:28 am

I’m 49 and still hunting/scouting just as hard as I did in my 20’s. My back is pretty screwed up but been living with that for 25 years so learned to adapt and just do things smarter. Regular trips to the chiropracter does wonders for me and helps to avoid surgery for now. When I turned 40 I noticed how important it was to stay in shape outside the season. Scouting year round keeps me in decent shape and biking during the spring/summer keeps my legs and especially heart/lungs at their peak. Really helps for recovery after especially hard days of marsh busting or hill climbing. After a really tough day I’m still ready to do it all over again the next day.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:34 am

1. Stay in good shape.
2. Stay in good shape.
3. Stay in good shape.

Strength, flexibility and endurance all year long. I'll let you know if this works for me in 15 years. ;)
Treewalker87

Unread postby Treewalker87 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:51 am

I'm only 30 but sports, heavy weightlifting and now a physically demanding career are beginning to show their effects. As most will admit, recovery from a hard day scouting or hunting is beginning to take a little longer. One thing I will say helps is to really key in on your diet. Just like bucks focus on nutrition for optimum antler growth to fight, breed and pass their genetics on; eating a clean, healthy diet is crucial for humans too.

Drink lots of water. Ditch the fast-food and cook some lean venison. Take a good multivitamin. Drink a few beers instead of the whole 30 rack. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Healthy diet + some form of exercise a few times a week will help enormously.

I don't know about you but I still have a lot of bucks to chase before my hunting days come to an end. Diet is something easy we can all focus on to keep us going longer.
Weezy

Unread postby Weezy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:52 am

I am going to be 55 next month and been hunting deer for 43 years. I am having my 10th surgery next month as well. It has become very hard for me to scout or hunt like I use to but still do it ,just a little slower lol.Hill country can be challenging as well as northern cedar swamps.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:28 pm

As I am starting to inch closer to the 40 mark I can honestly say I don't have the get up and go like I used to. I also have a mostly plastic knee and a gun shot wound through one lung from a childhood accident. These prior injuries used to not bother me at all, but now often get some aches and pains.
What I try to do now is prioritize my efforts, so if I don't get to something it's nothing major. Also rely on my brain more than I used to with just pure force. I use my strengths and limit my weaknesses. And have came to the realization that a day in the woods is better than what most people get whether I see anything or not. Bigger probs in the world than not filling a buck tag. As long as I did my best and gave myself a legit chance I consider it a successful season.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
The Stumbler

Unread postby The Stumbler » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:32 pm

I'll be 61 this this coming deer season.... It is rare that a day goes by that I don't think of deer hunting. I am reading about it , studying maps, fine tuning my equipment , practicing with my bow. What drives me is Passion for the woods . I have friends that are now aging out of deer hunting,
one made a statement to me a few weeks ago that I'm still thinking about " its a lot of work for nothing ". I have been dog tired , wet , cold , sick , in pain, and never considered my time in the woods " work for nothing". Passion for something wells up from deep inside you,... , it drives you , you know if you have it ,often you can't control it .

Do not worry about Aging and Hunting if your passionate ...... you will have no choice.
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:38 pm

Great topic!
just turned 40, staying in shape for me helps, i do alot of planks and lower back conditioning since my back surgery dont want to do that again. i have spent a lil more money on lighter equipment and will take full advantage of dans climbing sticks when those are released, losing 4lbs to my set up will make a huge difference to my body for those longer walks in. currently i have a bike with a small trailer that i put all my gear in till i get 3/4 of the way to my stand, sometimes i can ride it sometimes i just walk with it through the mud and the muck.
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
ontario farmer
Facebook: Ontario

Unread postby ontario farmer » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:43 pm

I am 60 years old and have bad knees from abuse at work. I continuously work at keeping the leg muscles strong to support the knee joint. I bike, hike and scout. Doing these things make a 4 mile hike no problem if I keep myself light and mobile.
The issue becomes trying to drag out a 200 pound buck with crappy knees. Then I suffer. That is when I hope I have a friend available to help. I hope to keep hunting as long as possible since I started late.
One thing about the comment is it worth it. I find hunting motivates me to take care of my body so I can enjoy something I like doing. I expect my knees, cardio and general health would be poorer without scouting, exercise, hiking and biking. The exercise is motivated by my desire to hunt.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:44 pm

Brian1986 wrote:Beast style hunting is pretty physically demanding. As time rolls on and the years of wear & tear takes it's toll on our bodies I am curious how you older beasts especially adjust/adapt your tactics and strategy? If you have limitations

I fight it every damn day lol
I workout everyday, as well as jog or ride a bike
I have arthritis and have started lots of stretching
I’ve always eaten very well, but lately I have adapted my “diet” to include foods that provide benefits (minerals, antioxidants, etc) I may be lacking in. I don’t have any physical limitations yet....

I have two youngins that require a ton of scheduling with school and sports dance etc. I find the most difficult aspect at this point is switching my mind to focus on “my” stuff. I don’t think this was an issue when I was younger

I think at this point that is the most difficult thing I’ve found as I’ve aged.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:04 am

I just about refused to respond to this thread, because I'm fighting this every year. I'm still in good shape at 55 come November. I can walk areas with best of them. I'm just following now instead of waiting on others. I do not feel any limitations other than taking a little longer to get up that creek or river bank. You just have focus a little more.

Off season is a little different. When I was younger. You made time to go scouting. Now its like with so much stuff that has to be done in every day life. When you get older it is like you look for a gap to go scouting. Its like if I can get this done I drive down an do a walk through and do some looking. When you young its like. I get this done Im going woods!

But, you know I feel like it is an even trade off. Now being older you have hunted areas so much you are more in tune to what to look for. Which means you have done put in your time in areas and you recall hunts an details to fall back on. Which helps a lot. I also visit GNC stores to help boost my energy too.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”