Hunting Swamp Points

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunting Swamp Points

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:27 am

tgreeno wrote:IMO...The only way to find out how close you can go, is to push the envelope! I would rather push it and maybe bump a buck. Than to regret it after the season saying, "I should have gone closer". Then next season you're in the game, because know what they will tolerate.

There are two kinds of failure in not capitalizing on an opportunity... The ones when you do everything right, but simply fail, and then there are the ones where in hind sight you did something wrong in your set up... This probably makes me sound bad, but its honest. I can get over a bad hit, or tweaking a branch, and loosing a big buck. The ones that haunt me are the ones where I got no opportunity because I did not do something and should of known better.

Its that nagging haunt that pushes me to make sure I do it right. You either have that or you don't, I don't think it can be taught.

Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:17 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:I learned a little about the edge of that envelope during late season/early spring scouting. I bumped deer 6 times. In the cattail marshes i was within 20 yards before they bolted, sound being the biggest give away...no sight and off wind. In the thick timber i was within 30-40 yards, and in the open woods seen him bolting over 100 yards away.

What a great discovery. I'm sure this has/will help(ed) you exponentially over the years.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:23 am

Ashreve93 wrote:
wolverinebuckman wrote:I learned a little about the edge of that envelope during late season/early spring scouting. I bumped deer 6 times. In the cattail marshes i was within 20 yards before they bolted, sound being the biggest give away...no sight and off wind. In the thick timber i was within 30-40 yards, and in the open woods seen him bolting over 100 yards away.

What a great discovery. I'm sure this has/will help(ed) you exponentially over the years.

All this season, hopefully it will!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”