Cyber Scout,Hang/ Hunt Success

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

U.P. MAN
500 Club

Cyber Scout,Hang/ Hunt Success

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:03 am

Here is a property that I hunted in KS 2015. My Hang and Hunt was the 1st time on this property. I killed a knarly old buck after being in stand for around 18 minutes. Wish that happened more! Yellow... My Entry, Red...Stand Location, Pink...Bucks route from West to East. I hunted this same property this past fall 2017, and obviously entered and hung a little differently after being on it in 2015, but didn't have a mature buck come through. Things were definitely different from Computer to Boots on the ground in 2015. I didn't hang quite right when I got in there, and the Buck didn't use the trail I thought he would. But the hunt still ended successful. Every 1st sit on a Cyber Scout only property is when I seem to learn the most it seems.

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Cyber Scout,Hang/ Hunt Success

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:27 pm

Cool example I am always interested in hearing stories about success going in on only cyberscouting because I have so little confidence doing that, interesting to see how others approach it, and trying to learn from it.

What wind directions were you hunting, I assume some kind of cross wind to that draw? Were you hunting rut movement or did you try to pinpoint any bedding locations while cyberscouting? Was the deer movement like you assumed?

Maybe this is too much of an assumption but it seems like farm country with narrow strips of cover like that would be the easiest terrain to pull this off...I know you are a buck killing machine every fall UP Man have you had luck going in cold like that in other terrains with more cover, and/or more hunting pressure?
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:28 am

Depending on the responses to Joe you may answer this but did the parallel trail thought process dictate this set up? It seems like a great travel route, cover, deer can scent check either the north or south set of fields depending on wind and can scent check any trails entering into either field.

Really cool, thanks for the post.
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:02 am

Good example and good job!
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:57 am

I feel that you are absolutely correct as far as this type of terrain being the easiest to Cyber Scout/Hang/Hunt. KS, MO,IA,SD, most of the areas I hunt in these states are very similar as far as ditch lines,thin strips of woods, not much elevation. And I will guarantee you that this is ALOT if not MOST of the reason that I have had some success the past few years. When Cyber Scouting I do take into consideration where the bedding areas are. Well where I THINK they are. Its a constant battle, and constant learning process for me when it comes to being correct on bed locations. This part of my game needs the most work by far. I have had success in Hill Country, but I am even less confident there. It is no coincidence that I struggle in high pressure hill country. I guess a guy just needs to constantly evolve and learn. Almost all of my trips are Rut based. I am usually home hunting with the kids till the end of October.

On this particular hunt I was expecting East/West or West/East movement obviously. Northwesterly wind. When I went in, I expected a trail on top of the creek bed to the North and I was expecting to hang on the South side of the creek. I figured there would be a trail on the south side of the creek also, but I would be high enough for my wind to blow over it. Well there was no trail on the south side of the creek. I was right about the trail running on top of the creek bed, but it was so thick that there was no where to shoot it. The main trail was North of the creek about half way to the field edge, and another on the field edge itself. Of course there were a ton of scrapes on the field edge and that is what almost ruined my hunt. Like a dummy I hung where I could shoot the stupid field edge and still shoot the main trail. Just something about fresh scraped dirt I guess. Even with the NW wind :doh: Anyway, he came from the West on the thick trail along the creek, I grunted him up to the main trail and 10 Ringed his guts. I did recover him the next morning after the coyotes took most everything. Quite a learning experience.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:49 am

Well done! Cool hunt.
Treewalker87

Unread postby Treewalker87 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:59 pm

U.P. MAN wrote:Every 1st sit on a Cyber Scout only property is when I seem to learn the most it seems.

I agree. Its one thing to pick a spot out on a map, but there is something to be said about reading the hot sign and following your gut when you get there. Kinda nice when you put it all together and have success. Well done!
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:40 am

Coming from big woods it’s always intrigued me on how guys get it done on those smaller strips of woods and ditches. Can’t wait to give it ago, one more year and the points will be stacked enough. Awesome hunt and great example

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”