2018 Goals

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: 2018 Goals

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:57 pm

right now have a successful season in my garden. once fall hits its killing a mature public land buck 8 years in a row 8-)

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Tempy

Unread postby Tempy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:38 pm

- Kill a nice PA public buck with a bow on public a least 3 year old (preferably october)
- Take my first out state archery trip and hopefully successful - would love to do 2 states but might be a little ambitious my first year
- Fill freezer with venison, i'm almost out already at this point in the year
- get better with hunting bedding areas and understanding these mountain bucks
Catskills

Unread postby Catskills » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:13 am

For going on my second year hunting I would like to see a mature deer using the beast method and getting a shot opportunity would be amazing. I would like to shoot a buck on the public land i've been scouting hard and the goal for the year is filling the freezer with 2 deer at least. Could be a 2.5yo buck and a doe (like this past season), could be 2 does if no bucks pan out. But this past year having two in the freezer (from private) is very satisfying. Getting done on public would be :dance:
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:25 am

Last season I shot my first deer, a young(guessing 2.5) 9 point on a farm I have been hunting for years. I set foot for the first time on public land (and loved it), and I passed on a 10 pointer of the same age class as my 9, 6 days later, on a piece of public because I wanted a 3.5 y/o.

This season my goals are:
1) to learn my new public spots well through preseason scouting (already have a great start on this).
2)an early season buck of 2.5+ to refill the freezer. After processing last years deer I really don't want to go through all that again for anything smaller.
3)to get on a 3.5 y/o+ buck
4)to build my new saddle hunting set up and learn well before season.
5)to become surgical with my bow...aim small, miss small. Extend my comfort range out to 30+ yards.
6)to tag out by the November 15 Michigan gun opener.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:48 am

Evanszach7 wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:
Evanszach7 wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:
Evanszach7 wrote:Extend ethical range to 45 yards.

Wow thats an interesting one

Why’s that?

Honestly never heard anyone say something like that. I did hear those new mathews bows are dang near flat shooting out to 40

Gotcha. Heading up to Alaska 2019. Hopefully can get up to 60 by then.

Those are some interesting future goals. Alaska would really be something of an adventure. Good luck. You should consider a write up for your shooting practice.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:58 am

Kind of off the cuff at the moment, but:

1. Kill a public land buck 2.5 or older (preferably 3.5 or older)
2. Spend 35 or more days in the field in-season scouting/ deer hunting (probably averaging 25 or so the last couple of years)
3. If I'm not on a known buck or hot sign, scout, don't sit.
4. Kill three bucks with my bow (2 IL and 1 WI: have done 2 IL three times, and did 1 IL and 1 WI last year, haven't done all three in decade of living and hunting IL)
5. Hunt the late rut (last three years I've been lucky to have one or two bucks down by the heart of the rut and I've burned out a little by second week of November and missed the big boys coming off of lockdown, could have likely accomplished my three buck goal last year if I'd have just given it hard for another week or so)
6. Small game hunt some more, I like eating the little critters too, and it makes for good in-season scouting time
7. Have fun, don't take things too seriously

Couple of loosely related other outdoor goals:
1. Come up with 50 wild food recipes
2. Get my 6 and 7 year old girls to catch a trout on a fly
3. Catch some pike and bass on flies on the property I hunt in IL tied with bucktail/deerhair from bucks I shot on the property. This is my new thing with fishing. Was getting on trout with flies tied with duck/grouse/turkey feathers from the properties I was fishing last year. Kind of fun deal.
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:22 am

Just like always, kill a mature buck and capture it on video. Except this is the first year to hunt beast style for me, so I am really looking forward to the season.
I’m going to change to more of a documentary style video, hopefully showing successful tactics and set ups learned from THB.
Also to turn up my editing game with some map illustrations and hopefully even some map animations occasionally.
John PAhunting

Unread postby John PAhunting » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:42 am

Killing a 3 1/2 year old or better beast style
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:47 am

No goals this year, just going to do my thing and get out hunting and get out with the kids hunting as much as possible. :violence-bowandarrow:
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:56 am

Coming into my fourth year as a beast one year not hunting from a medial nerve injury so third hunting year. My goals will be to continue and grow as a hunter.

This year I need to correct some of my biggest mistakes such as Tree Selection. Really hurt me last season. Was in the right area wrong tree on several occasions.

The last 3 years have been a adventure hunting very different types of terrain from hardwoods to big swamps and brushy fields. Since I recently moved to a new part of the state a month ago. I've noticed the bucks are bedding differently in the new areas mainly swamp edges and avoiding hardwoods for the most part due to heavy pressure.

1 Tree Selection my biggest weakness I feel.
2 Get better at my entry routes.
3 Continue to learn multiple terrain types.
4 Do a bit more morning hunting then last year and hunt some j hooks.

5 Park further away from where i hunt, last year I felt like i was surrounded by people or they followed me never felt relaxed all year was on edge.

6 Hunt my best spots early several of my best spots I never hunted last season due to saving those for the rut.

7 Have fun and enjoy nature success or not.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Catskills

Unread postby Catskills » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:00 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Coming into my fourth year as a beast one year not hunting from a medial nerve injury so third hunting year. My goals will be to continue and grow as a hunter.

This year I need to correct some of my biggest mistakes such as Tree Selection. Really hurt me last season. Was in the right area wrong tree on several occasions.

The last 3 years have been a adventure hunting very different types of terrain from hardwoods to big swamps and brushy fields. Since I recently moved to a new part of the state a month ago. I've noticed the bucks are bedding differently in the new areas mainly swamp edges and avoiding hardwoods for the most part due to heavy pressure.

1 Tree Selection my biggest weakness I feel.

As a newer hunter, what was wrong with the trees you were picking? Too close? Too Far? I want to learn from your mistakes as I scout all day saturday and sunday and mark trees I plan to use
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:44 am

My goal is to fill both Missouri tags with a 4.5 yr or older buck.
docwaters

Unread postby docwaters » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:50 am

Locate more buck beds. Kill a four year old or older buck here in Kentucky. Take a 140 or better in Illinois. Take a three year old or better in Texas. Mentor at least one new hunter. Learn more from the Beasts.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:54 am

hambone wrote:My goal is to fill both Missouri tags with a 4.5 yr or older buck.

Good luck from a MO neighbor :D
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:54 am

docwaters wrote:Mentor at least one new hunter.

Thats a good one!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”