Cold weather affecting growth?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Cold weather affecting growth?

Unread postby muddy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:20 am

Last year this time I had already mower 4x. This year snow ice and cold. Buddy sent me cam pic with 4" growth and we got to wondering... are these cold freezing temps hurting velvet or affecting antler growth?

Thoughts?

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Cold weather affecting growth?

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:27 am

Takes nutrition to grow antlers. Green up is when there is an abundance of nutrition. Not much out there right now. No green up yet.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:58 pm

Yea you are gonna hear guys complain this fall. Just like fall of 2013, spring of 2013 was just like this. Snow off and on all through April. I found morels into June that year!

After watching it a few years, I have become certain the timing of green up is one of the biggest factors when it comes to seeing good years (exceptionally early green up, like the last 2 springs) versus bad years in terms of antler growth.

In 2013 Bill Winke wrote an article blaming the lack of large antlers in his corner of paradise on the Iowa DNR, wonder if he will do that again this fall :lol:
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:31 pm

I had never thought about it, but it makes sense. Lack of nutrition due to late green up, plus they are burning nutrients to stay warm that would have otherwise went towards antler growth.
We also had no acorns this year. I wonder if lack of mast coupled with late green up will result in fewer fawns hitting the ground.
:violence-bowandarrow:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:44 am

JoeRE wrote:Yea you are gonna hear guys complain this fall. Just like fall of 2013, spring of 2013 was just like this. Snow off and on all through April. I found morels into June that year!

After watching it a few years, I have become certain the timing of green up is one of the biggest factors when it comes to seeing good years (exceptionally early green up, like the last 2 springs) versus bad years in terms of antler growth.

In 2013 Bill Winke wrote an article blaming the lack of large antlers in his corner of paradise on the Iowa DNR, wonder if he will do that again this fall :lol:

LOL :lol:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:45 am

Playing off of what Joe was saying - all iv heard from guys around my area was bucks held long time this year. Few said bucks still had 1 side just a week ago.
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:11 am

Darkknight54 wrote:Playing off of what Joe was saying - all iv heard from guys around my area was bucks held long time this year. Few said bucks still had 1 side just a week ago.

I know here in Ohio I'm still seeing some bucks holding. Just had a buck with a 4 pt side cross the road in front of me this morning on my way to work.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”