An important find worth mentioning!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jdaukontas

An important find worth mentioning!

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:18 pm

Out scouting today when I can across some great bedding. Was in the middle of picking out trees when I realized something just wasn't adding up. The Arial photos I was using on my phone and due north on my compass were not the same. In fact, what was depicted at true north on the map was significantly different from my compass. At first I thought it was the compass but after comparing multiple compasses upon getting home, the compass hold true.

This got me thinking of how many hunts I have had wind not cooperate based on the daily forecast and how many times I have been frustrated with the wind forecast. Today it dawned on me though that perhaps it is not the forecast that is wrong, but my general understand of actual north while in the stand, which is actually giving me a false sense of true wind direction and screwing me up once in the tree. I now will have a conpass with me every scouting trip to verify spots and pick out accurate winds for certain locations.

Has anyone else ever noticed this about Arial photos? I use caltopo, and huntstand as my main Arial providers.

Dan T

Re: An important find worth mentioning!

Unread postby Dan T » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:38 pm

True north and magnetic north (what your compass shows you) are two different things. You need to know the declination for your area when using a compass. Take a reading with your compass, calculate in your declination and you will have true north. my guess would be that the software does it for you and the difference your seeing in what your compass says and your app says is declination, the difference between magnetic and true north.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:23 pm

Dan T wrote:True north and magnetic north (what your compass shows you) are two different things. You need to know the declination for your area when using a compass. Take a reading with your compass, calculate in your declination and you will have true north. my guess would be that the software does it for you and the difference your seeing in what your compass says and your app says is declination, the difference between magnetic and true north.

Yep... We should do a post on reading and navigating with a compass. They used to teach a coarse on it when I went to high school. But that's been replaced with mandatory protesting classes.
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:14 pm

So you are implying to trust the software for prevailing wind accuracy?
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:23 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_declination

I think the compass discussion would be worth it. I am 30 and never have been shown how to properly use a compass outside of maintaining a straight line when traveling. Even that I am iffy at best.
Dan T

Unread postby Dan T » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:43 pm

Yep... We should do a post on reading and navigating with a compass. They used to teach a coarse on it when I went to high school. But that's been replaced with mandatory protesting classes.[/quote]

Jdaukontas wrote:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_declination

I think the compass discussion would be worth it. I am 30 and never have been shown how to properly use a compass outside of maintaining a straight line when traveling. Even that I am iffy at best.

I agree a think an Orienteering thread would be a great addition to the site!

Jdaukontas wrote:So you are implying to trust the software for prevailing wind accuracy?

That's a tough one. Initially I would say no. When you scout take note of what the computer or weatherman are forecasting and when you get to your hunting grounds get out your compass and see what it's actually doing. If the computer is consistently accurate after several checks with a compass at that spot on different winds, I suppose you could find some trust in an app or two. Where I live is very mountainous area with large water bodies, the wind forecast online or on tv is useless. You have to scout like I mentioned above and formulate your own wind map spot to spot, figure that in with your knowledge of thermals then hope for the best. I hunted the mid west/farm country for the first time in my life after 30 seasons this year, the wind out there was spot on to the weather forecast every day, it was a dream come true for me! if the weather guy said NE winds, that's what you got, spot on every day. So it's going to vary depending where you are, what kind of terrain, vegetation, overall landscape etc...

-quick crash course in getting started navigating with a compass and map, a compass is best when used with a map.
-Lay the map of the area on some thing NOT metal
-Take your compass and turn the thick red band in the housing matches North
-on your map there are lines going N to S and lines going E to W, line the side of your compass up with one of the N to S oriented lines. Now turn the map and compass together until the red side of the needle lines up with the red band that already lined up with the letter N(red in the shed). Your map is now oriented to magnetic north.
- next step is to factor in you declination, which in my area is 18degrees. I will move my compass and map 18degress to the west and I will now be standing facing true north and my map with be oriented with the rest of the world and how Im looking at it

Orienting a map to true north is the first and most important step to navigating and determining direction and distance with a map, And orienting yourself true north when without a map. This evening when I have more time, Ill try to put together in writing how to complete a closed loop, triangulate locations, direction of travel, laying out routs and how to make the most of a compass with and without a map. If someone has already done it. Gotta go chase the american dream and the almighty dollar for the next ten wet hours.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:15 am

Dan T wrote:
dan wrote:Yep... We should do a post on reading and navigating with a compass. They used to teach a coarse on it when I went to high school. But that's been replaced with mandatory protesting classes.

I agree a think an Orienteering thread would be a great addition to the site!

Jdaukontas wrote:So you are implying to trust the software for prevailing wind accuracy?

That's a tough one. Initially I would say no. When you scout take note of what the computer or weatherman are forecasting and when you get to your hunting grounds get out your compass and see what it's actually doing. If the computer is consistently accurate after several checks with a compass at that spot on different winds, I suppose you could find some trust in an app or two. Where I live is very mountainous area with large water bodies, the wind forecast online or on tv is useless. You have to scout like I mentioned above and formulate your own wind map spot to spot, figure that in with your knowledge of thermals then hope for the best. I hunted the mid west/farm country for the first time in my life after 30 seasons this year, the wind out there was spot on to the weather forecast every day, it was a dream come true for me! if the weather guy said NE winds, that's what you got, spot on every day. So it's going to vary depending where you are, what kind of terrain, vegetation, overall landscape etc...

-quick crash course in getting started navigating with a compass and map, a compass is best when used with a map.
-Lay the map of the area on some thing NOT metal
-Take your compass and turn the thick red band in the housing matches North
-on your map there are lines going N to S and lines going E to W, line the side of your compass up with one of the N to S oriented lines. Now turn the map and compass together until the red side of the needle lines up with the red band that already lined up with the letter N(red in the shed). Your map is now oriented to magnetic north.
- next step is to factor in you declination, which in my area is 18degrees. I will move my compass and map 18degress to the west and I will now be standing facing true north and my map with be oriented with the rest of the world and how Im looking at it

Orienting a map to true north is the first and most important step to navigating and determining direction and distance with a map, And orienting yourself true north when without a map. This evening when I have more time, Ill try to put together in writing how to complete a closed loop, triangulate locations, direction of travel, laying out routs and how to make the most of a compass with and without a map. If someone has already done it. Gotta go chase the american dream and the almighty dollar for the next ten wet hours.

Great info Dan T. You should start that navigation thread up with this info and what you're going to add tonight. I know I definitely need to learn! Thanks, Chris.
Last edited by wolverinebuckman on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:18 am

After getting turned around a couple of times years ago I always have a compass and printed map with me. I use my phone also but always double check the compass.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:30 am

Below is a link to the NOAA magnetic field calculator that will calculate your declination.

https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag-web/?useFullSite=true

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:47 am

Below is a link to the NOAA magnetic field calculator that will calculate your declination.

https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag-web/?useFullSite=true

Bob

My goodness this is accurate!!! I just punched in my locations and it is EXACTLY what I was seeing on the compass!

Thanks Bob!
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:52 am

dan wrote:
Dan T wrote:True north and magnetic north (what your compass shows you) are two different things. You need to know the declination for your area when using a compass. Take a reading with your compass, calculate in your declination and you will have true north. my guess would be that the software does it for you and the difference your seeing in what your compass says and your app says is declination, the difference between magnetic and true north.

Yep... We should do a post on reading and navigating with a compass. They used to teach a coarse on it when I went to high school. But that's been replaced with mandatory protesting classes.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:08 am

Same here. I'm definetely interested in learning more.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:56 am

Good stuff.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:55 am

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:55 am

dan wrote:

That's the funniest thing I've ever read on this site. It's also tragically true. But I mean hey, why teach a course on using a compass? Kids have their iPhone 16's that navigate for them now.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”