How would you hunt peninsula or finger surrounded by water on three sides except entrance?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jon308

Re: How would you hunt peninsula or finger surrounded by water on three sides except entrance?

Unread postby Jon308 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:11 am

The water is fairly deep, the entrance is somewhat thick , could be more then one buck in there.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: How would you hunt peninsula or finger surrounded by water on three sides except entrance?

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:12 am

This seems like textbook from what Dan talks about in his workshops and videos. Depending on the wind you will setup differently. For example if the point goes north from the timber you can setup towards the east or west, just south of the bedding area. If it's a north wind you could possibly setup on either east west. If it's a west wind, you could setup towards the east side and vice versus. But it also depends on the trails and also how big the finger is. Also depending on the terrain will determine how close you can get up to the bedding without bumping the deer.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:30 am

It depends on how big the peninsula is. I've never found consistent buck bedding on a peninsula. Doe bedding for sure, but not mature buck bedding. From what I've seen the first grade change/vegetation change on the main land is where the buck bedding will be. This gives them more than one direction of escape and they can monitor doe bedding on the peninsula. I have seen rubs and scraps on peninsulas.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:05 am

How wide and long is the peninsula? Have you located beds on it? Does it have runs going in and out? Is there any food sources on the peninsula or just outside of it?

Inquiring minds want to know... :D
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:28 am

At what depth does water become a barrier to a mature buck?
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:28 am

Figure out where the deer access the point. If they are using it it shouldn’t be hard to at least see where they enter/exit. Look for tracks scapes and rubs. The hard part as always is interpreting what the sign is telling you. You have to get in there and figure that out on your own. Us internet people can’t hand you the answers cuz we aren’t there.
Jon308

Unread postby Jon308 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:42 pm

wolverinebuckman wrote:How wide and long is the peninsula? Have you located beds on it? Does it have runs going in and out? Is there any food sources on the peninsula or just outside of it?

Inquiring minds want to know... :D

Maybe 70 yards , locate beds had hair in it , no food source that I know of. There is a field to the east, trails going west and east. Found big dead head buck on trail too near entrance of peninsula.
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Unread postby mike perry » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:50 pm

If your assuming the bed you found on the peninsula Is a mature buck bed I think you have to consider how far is it to the next land he would have to swim to to escape. I just don’t feel like a mature buck would allow himself to be that valuable if he had to swim a long distance to escape danger. Not that I think deer are afraid to cross water but it would make more sense for a mature buck to bed where the main land meets the peninsula especially if there is good cover there. Was the big dead head you found in a bed or just on a trail, did you find good bedding where the dead head was found? Chances are that buck felt safe where he died unless he was mortally wounded and died on his feet. I’d start searching around where that dead head was found and go off that.
Aim small miss small
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:01 pm

I've never had much luck on narrow peninsulas with only one way in or out. Seems the ones with alternate quick escapes were always the best. That said, if u have evidence there is a buck u would like to place your tag on spending daylight time on that sucker u would be a fool not to give it your best shot. I would prefer wind blowing down peninsula to the water, I would come in by boat early in the cover of darkness, set up shop and wait him out until dark.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jon308

Unread postby Jon308 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:34 am

mike perry wrote:If your assuming the bed you found on the peninsula Is a mature buck bed I think you have to consider how far is it to the next land he would have to swim to to escape. I just don’t feel like a mature buck would allow himself to be that valuable if he had to swim a long distance to escape danger. Not that I think deer are afraid to cross water but it would make more sense for a mature buck to bed where the main land meets the peninsula especially if there is good cover there. Was the big dead head you found in a bed or just on a trail, did you find good bedding where the dead head was found? Chances are that buck felt safe where he died unless he was mortally wounded and died on his feet. I’d start searching around where that dead head was found and go off that.
its not that far of a swim. It’s really a large creek and you see can far from all three sides of peninsula (finger), except the entrance it’s fairly thick. The dead head was at entrance of the finger on a trail. Also the the finger is about 15 or 20 high from waters edge so good vantage point.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:19 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I've never had much luck on narrow peninsulas with only one way in or out. Seems the ones with alternate quick escapes were always the best. That said, if u have evidence there is a buck u would like to place your tag on spending daylight time on that sucker u would be a fool not to give it your best shot. I would prefer wind blowing down peninsula to the water, I would come in by boat early in the cover of darkness, set up shop and wait him out until dark.

I don't think I've ever found much of sign or beds in areas like this. Doesn't make sense for a deer to trap themselves. Predator comes down that one entrance/exit and they are dead.

That being said, you need to look closely for an exit. They don't always glow in the dark like some do. And sometimes it means walking in the water to find out if its nut deep muck or sand. Cause one of those will allow for a quick exit. The other, not so much. And I have found an area like that with only one entrance/exit that people will see. But that deer can blow out in the water and into more woods in the blink of an eye.

Its all about staying safe and keeping away from predators.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:46 am

Yes I would throw a sit at it, if the sign tells me a mature buck is using it.

Sit just off wind of the exit trail, but still have shooting to it. If it's that narrow, you should have good shooting to both trails.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:31 am

It depends on the escape route. If the peninsula is surrounded by deep wide water that would be hard for the deer to cross quickly, then far less likely buck bedding. If however it is remote and easy escape across both sides absolutely could be a prime buck bedding area. I have one exactly like this, it is two major creeks that are 3 foot deep but only 20 yards across and the peninsula at point is less then 10 yards across. This is one of the few areas that I have ever found where the bedding is wore down to bare ground. The clue is the rubs leading into the peninsula and the size of tracks going in/out. There are many other similar sets ups in the area I hunt but because there was not good escape routes the bucks simply do not use them.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:04 am

I found a potential bed on a small peninsula sticking out into the river. I can see where the deer is actually leaving the ground and walking into the water to cross it to the other side, it's only a couple of feet deep. There is a huge doe bedding area on the opposite side of the river. the entrance is pretty small going down the finger, but there are a couple of exit Trails into the shallow Waters from both sides. Like others have said, he's got to be able to escape from there, otherwise it doesn't seem he would bed there.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”