How would you hunt peninsula or finger surrounded by water on three sides except entrance?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Re: How would you hunt peninsula or finger surrounded by water on three sides except entrance?

Unread postby mike perry » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:41 pm

Jon308 wrote:
mike perry wrote:If your assuming the bed you found on the peninsula Is a mature buck bed I think you have to consider how far is it to the next land he would have to swim to to escape. I just don’t feel like a mature buck would allow himself to be that valuable if he had to swim a long distance to escape danger. Not that I think deer are afraid to cross water but it would make more sense for a mature buck to bed where the main land meets the peninsula especially if there is good cover there. Was the big dead head you found in a bed or just on a trail, did you find good bedding where the dead head was found? Chances are that buck felt safe where he died unless he was mortally wounded and died on his feet. I’d start searching around where that dead head was found and go off that.
its not that far of a swim. It’s really a large creek and you see can far from all three sides of peninsula (finger), except the entrance it’s fairly thick. The dead head was at entrance of the finger on a trail. Also the the finger is about 15 or 20 high from waters edge so good vantage point.

That makes more sense to me know, I was thinking a peninsula surrounded by a large body of water

Aim small miss small
mauser06
500 Club

Re: How would you hunt peninsula or finger surrounded by water on three sides except entrance?

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:47 pm

I have something similar I hunt.... except to the south is a marshy bowl with buck bedding..

Mine is 100yds wide give or take 50. And a few hundred yards long...

Sadly I can't nail it down. One hunt deer came from the mainland onto the finger lol. At dark I had deer standing where I expected the bucks to come from the marsh bowl bedding...

Another hunt I got caught in freak weather. It pushed me out of the stand early...of course a mature buck was standing 30yds away cruising the edge.

I live a lot closer now and plan to figure it out better...

Mine also has food..big oaks...that aughta be dropping hard this year.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:14 pm

mauser06 wrote:I have something similar I hunt.... except to the south is a marshy bowl with buck bedding..

Mine is 100yds wide give or take 50. And a few hundred yards long...

Sadly I can't nail it down. One hunt deer came from the mainland onto the finger lol. At dark I had deer standing where I expected the bucks to come from the marsh bowl bedding...

Another hunt I got caught in freak weather. It pushed me out of the stand early...of course a mature buck was standing 30yds away cruising the edge.

I live a lot closer now and plan to figure it out better...

Mine also has food..big oaks...that aughta be dropping hard this year.

These type scenarios are tricky to give an opinion do to the fact the hunter talking about it has a vision in there head of a particular spot and the readers reading it translate it to a spot they hunt that might be diff atleast I have that prob lol. Will offer my opinion based on what I personally hunt where the edge formed by water is a lake. Water levels play a huge factor. But typically the highest % of what I see I can capitalize on is evening movement. Again food source and or doe bedding plays a factor but in a general answer I want wind blowing down point to water, the evening thermal also naturally slopes in that direction. The buck can smell everything in the woods and doesn't expect danger coming from the water. If u back door him u never really leave a trace u were there and set yourself up for the perfect storm! Again just my situation if there's anything u can take from it.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:30 am

Jon308 wrote:

I just founs a really good bed with this same scenerio
Yesterday. Water on 3 sides buck laying back to water and wind coming over his back from the water going to the farm fields. 3-400 yards to the north. Buck is of course facing the fields. Take an orange hat put it on a stick in the ground walk away from the bed looking back until u cant see the hat. Set up with a judt off wind right there somewhere. See what happens. Ill post that video on you tube in few days the live one is on the buck psych facebook page

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”