Keep the Fire Burning

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Keep the Fire Burning

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:49 am

In Wisconsin our archery season runs mid September to the first week of January. I would suspect that other states are similar in length. During our seasons we can experience ups and downs. We all get tired. We all will have some setbacks. How do you keep going and what do you do to keep your confidence up?

Dewey

Re: Keep the Fire Burning

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:04 am

I just keep on grinding because I enjoy that part of it. The hunting season is just too short to not give it your all. Seems like September comes fast and then mid-January I’m wondering where the season went and get really bummed it’s over.
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:11 am

Having that never give up mentality. Bowhunting is an obsession to me, not just a hobby. When October 1st comes I am at the peak of my excitement all year, it never drops during the season. When it's over, I am already looking forward to the next and find myself doing whatever it takes to help me succeed during that time in the offseason and to help keep me sane. I just love Whitetail hunting, it's my passion. No matter how tired, fatigued, or how awful my season has been I always find myself still climbing a tree.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:33 am

My success has mostly hinged around the rut so that is when I really hit it hard. Specifically very long sits or most of the day sits during the rut. So one aspect of that is not burning out early in the season. And when I say burning out I mean getting ahead at work and keeping my wife happy. So that is the important strategy there.

I actually quite enjoy early season when the weather is nice and I only have to sit in the stand for 2 or 3 hours at a time. During the rut, it's just a matter of keeping my head in the game knowing a shooter can show up at any time. Some creature comforts don't hurt at that point, some decent food, maybe even bust out the thermos of coffee, spend a little time surfing the net or reading a book.

Our archery season is a good deal shorter, 6 weeks main season the a few more after Christmas. Once the rut is over I am pretty much not into it. I am pretty casual about getting out there late season. Maybe someday that will change but not for now.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:35 am

2016 season was fairly rough for me, between missing a target buck I had, a coyote with my daughter and wounding another bruiser, a part of me wanted me to give up.

On the morning of November 5th I was running pretty late to my spot, was a little low on gas, had a 45-minute drive and was going to fill up after the hunt. Well needless to say I ran out of gas on the exit I took to get to the property, which was a few miles away. My GF drove 45 minutes just to get me some gas. It was obviously getting damn near day break once she arrived. Meanwhile, I had to poop so bad that I couldn't hold it, squatted right down on the exit and let er rip and had to use an undershirt to wipe. She got there, I put the gas in, gave the woman kisses, gave my thank yous and ran off like a bad out of heck.

I got into the tree a half hour after daybreak after hanging my stand, smelling like gas and night soil, I put my arrow on the rest, and dropped the damn quiver. Had one arrow(was not getting down) to top the morning off.

To make this long story shorter as there are more details, I ended up killing a 3-year-old here in Michigan at 10 am coming back to his bed, gave me a broadside shot at 30 yards. I center punched and watch him drop. Between everything that had happened to me that season already, and to that morning, it goes to show why you never give up, it pays off. I am sure others have more interesting stories and/or worse. But that season I will never forget. I have been meaning to write about that season.
Loppy

Unread postby Loppy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:26 am

ScottSpitzley wrote:2016 season was fairly rough for me, between missing a target buck I had, a coyote with my daughter and wounding another bruiser, a part of me wanted me to give up.

On the morning of November 5th I was running pretty late to my spot, was a little low on gas, had a 45-minute drive and was going to fill up after the hunt. Well needless to say I ran out of gas on the exit I took to get to the property, which was a few miles away. My GF drove 45 minutes just to get me some gas. It was obviously getting damn near day break once she arrived. Meanwhile, I had to poop so bad that I couldn't hold it, squatted right down on the exit and let er rip and had to use an undershirt to wipe. She got there, I put the gas in, gave the woman kisses, gave my thank yous and ran off like a bad out of heck.

I got into the tree a half hour after daybreak after hanging my stand, smelling like gas and night soil, I put my arrow on the rest, and dropped the damn quiver. Had one arrow(was not getting down) to top the morning off.

To make this long story shorter as there are more details, I ended up killing a 3-year-old here in Michigan at 10 am coming back to his bed, gave me a broadside shot at 30 yards. I center punched and watch him drop. Between everything that had happened to me that season already, and to that morning, it goes to show why you never give up, it pays off. I am sure others have more interesting stories and/or worse. But that season I will never forget. I have been meaning to write about that season.

That's definitely a story of keeping your head in the game.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:32 am

What keeps me going is knowing my season can change in an instant. Last season was one of the worst I ever had, lost a lot of the rut to school and other commitments, and never could get things going. On Sunday at 2pm, I was getting a little irked about things and had even talked to my dad about how bad the weekend had been going, and by 3pm I was elbow deep in the gut of a buck, with blood on my pants from the doe I just finished gutting. Thats part of the reason why I love hunting so much. You never know what is gonna happen or when it will happen.

I also have taken a weekend off if I feel like it is needed, or I will go scout a new area instead of sitting on the stand. Gotta have fun and be productive if you can.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:31 am

We all do have setbacks, ups & downs. But I never get tired of hunting, and everything it entails!

It only takes one moment for your season to turn around. And that is always at the top of my mind.

Some might consider my last season as a bust. No deer killed. Not many good encounters. BUT...I learned a ton! And that knowledge, just makes me that much hungrier for this season! This might not be the same for everyone. You have to do what works for you!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Unread postby mike perry » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:57 am

I don’t know that I do anything special to keep the fire burning I just have not ever let it go out since 1986 when I started bowhunting at 21. I’m sure it’s part primal predatory instinct mixed with a love for the outdoors and being goal oriented, driven and just plain stubborn. Right from the start I always wanted to kill as many deer as I had tags for to get the meat and I always wanted to kill a mature buck. Living in PA that’s quite the dream. I learned right away that I had to hunt near by Ohio and New York if I wanted to have opportunities at mature bucks and to maximize my deer tags. So I had to learn how to find lots of property to hunt and scout all year. Whitetails have consumed and help define me ever since. I didn’t know to many people in the mid 80’s that scouted all spring after deer season was out and then hung stands on fields edges and watched deer with a video camera the size of a suitcase all summer but that what I did. Hopefully my fire never goes out. I’m hunting from late September till early February every chance I get unless I run out of tags, if I do run out of tags then scouting starts early.
Aim small miss small
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:08 am

I have been way too busy early on to get burned out. My problem is just the opposite. I struggle to find time before november. I have actually had to force myself to take a few days off just to keep my sanity. I actually got out 12 times before early november 2 seasons ago. before that I dont think I hunted 5 times in 5 years.
fortuately, I can shut down my business after that and have at it!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:19 pm

In the past I oftened got burned out both mentally and physically. Last season I switched it up and had a much better time and really enjoyed myself. In the past I hunted pretty much everyday of the season. Last year I only hunted a handful of times early season. Mostly just to fill my doe tags. When the prime time came along I was fresh, focused and looked forward to every hunt. My spots were all virgin and made for a overall better experience. Plan to attack upcoming season the same way.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:46 pm

I really dont hunt hard enough to get burned out. I only go if I am sure I will enjoy it. Sounds a bit lazy but it works very well. I did however get a little bummed out in 2017 cause my son has very little time to hunt. He is 21 , doing a double major and works about 30 hr a week. To make matter worse we hunt northern Wis, and didn't see a single deer this gun season. I decided to put a lot of energy into scouting in S.E. Wis. I put on about 55 mi. according to the GPS. I know the marsh a lot better and am confident it will help next deer season for gun and bow. I hope I can put my son on a deer for gun season down here cause up north is not even worth the gas, much less the time. I am encouraged with my new stands and should help. I figured, I can hunt northern Wis. and see almost nothing, or I can sell the property and buy some new land,or just scout the heck out of the public land 5 mi. from home and have it cost me 50 cents per hunt for gas. All but free. Even used the same arrow I used 3 yrs ago. We will see. I think I will do better , I didn't gain any weight cause I scouted so hard this winter. One thing that does get me discouraged is the terrible tangle these marshes really are and so tough to hunt I see almost noone. I have an area I still have not covered cause it is so hard to get to. So, I guess that life itself keeps the fire going.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:17 pm

Fantastic posts! I will be referring to this thread this season when it gets difficult. Helpful motivation!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:25 am

I usually do not hunt post rut, even when its a bad year. IDK why never had to really, never wanted to either.

Sept-Dec is a serious grind for a guy that is dedicated as soon as the green light is on for the season. Sept is very tough! So I treat each month as their own seasons. Always trying to reset my brain for the next gear. One thing I do when things arent going so well is reverse order of planned hunts. Sometimes timing is just off so might as well try something else.

Another thing to get back on the horse is go scout! Get mad and go jump a big buck, get the adrenaline pumping again. I also really like to have some type of inspiration every season, maybe a certain situation id like to succeed or tactic or strategy. Some type of goal is essential to keep on the path to success.

A good thing to have is friends to inspire you. Seeing someone you like talking with succeed is a good tool for drive. Not really a competitive way but it is at same time.

Idk if any of this made sense but keeps me going. Only thing iv found that cures a down season losing bucks is scouting. Nothing beats it bc there is no pressure to succeed yet were successful every outing. In season can be little more like walking on egg shells but if things just arent going good still gotta gain confidence and confidence kills big bucks
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:39 am

ScottSpitzley wrote:Having that never give up mentality. Bowhunting is an obsession to me, not just a hobby. When October 1st comes I am at the peak of my excitement all year, it never drops during the season. When it's over, I am already looking forward to the next and find myself doing whatever it takes to help me succeed during that time in the offseason and to help keep me sane. I just love Whitetail hunting, it's my passion. No matter how tired, fatigued, or how awful my season has been I always find myself still climbing a tree.

My thoughts exactly. During parts of the season especially the rut I start to feel a little wore out and a bit tired but it never slows me down to a point I don't want to hunt. Each day is a new adventure and I'm excited to see what each one brings.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”