Hunting Beast Kill Chart

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Hunting Beast Kill Chart

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:15 am

Divergent wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Divergent wrote:I don’t think I even posted my kills til the end of the season.

1) Hit but didn’t recover on oct 30th travel corridor at 10am
2) Killed on November 16th travel corridor at 1030am
3) Hit but didn’t recover on November 24th travel corridor at 1045am
4) Killed Jan 25th trail into bedding at 945am
5) Killed Feb 6th feeding on field edge 620am

My kills went up 1000% on public since joining the beast. I think as Dan said in one of his most recent podcast interviews... You should find your beds and work out from them. Approximately 95% of your daylight activity is going to be within a certain distance of bedding, so it only makes sense to setup near them.

Everything is AM. I'm just curious. Do you hunting alot more mornings than evenings, or just have better luck in the mornings?

I hunt both morning and evening. My buddy had the same results as me too. We see movement in the evenings til leaf drop, but after that you might as well hang it up. Even during the rut, we don’t typically see any movement. However, I do see more late morning movement. Cams usually tell me the same exact thing. There’s a good bit of movement in the AM and some movement just after dark. Most of the night pics are around 10-11pm. We are always hunting close to bedding. Cams are sporadic...some near bedding, some near sign. We have actually discussed hunting til lunch and trying to do mini drives or scout the remainder of the day.

I saw my best buck at 11:30am last season. Mid-days during the rut, were my best for seeing bucks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:06 am

tgreeno wrote:
Divergent wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Divergent wrote:I don’t think I even posted my kills til the end of the season.

1) Hit but didn’t recover on oct 30th travel corridor at 10am
2) Killed on November 16th travel corridor at 1030am
3) Hit but didn’t recover on November 24th travel corridor at 1045am
4) Killed Jan 25th trail into bedding at 945am
5) Killed Feb 6th feeding on field edge 620am

My kills went up 1000% on public since joining the beast. I think as Dan said in one of his most recent podcast interviews... You should find your beds and work out from them. Approximately 95% of your daylight activity is going to be within a certain distance of bedding, so it only makes sense to setup near them.

Everything is AM. I'm just curious. Do you hunting alot more mornings than evenings, or just have better luck in the mornings?

I hunt both morning and evening. My buddy had the same results as me too. We see movement in the evenings til leaf drop, but after that you might as well hang it up. Even during the rut, we don’t typically see any movement. However, I do see more late morning movement. Cams usually tell me the same exact thing. There’s a good bit of movement in the AM and some movement just after dark. Most of the night pics are around 10-11pm. We are always hunting close to bedding. Cams are sporadic...some near bedding, some near sign. We have actually discussed hunting til lunch and trying to do mini drives or scout the remainder of the day.

I saw my best buck at 11:30am last season. Mid-days during the rut, were my best for seeing bucks.

If I could only pick s 2 hr window it would be 10-12. It’s by far the most productive time to see a mature buck.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:06 am

I just went through my deer journal to see how things have improved for me over the past 3 years. Amount of buck encounters has increased 100% since finding Dan, used to see no bucks (in bow range) to seeing 5+ a season. Past 2 seasons iv had 3-5 encounters BEFORE Nov.

Last season I had x5 hunts in Sept, killed on the last sit.
Date killed - 09/28/17
Location - HILL COUNTRY
Firearm/Archery - ARCHERY
Time of day - EVENING 6:30PM
Days hunted - x5
Days/hours spent preseason scouting - x10-14

I only had x5 hunts after that kill - every hunt I had buck encounters

Date killed - 11/15/17
Location - HILL COUNTRY
Firearm/Archery - ARCHERY
Time of day - 11:00AM
Days hunted - x10
Days/hours spent preseason scouting - x10-14

To say Dan and the Hunting Beast has changed everything for me is an under statement. I hope things continue to click for me out there. Big thanks to all who have put up with my persistence and questions ;)
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:40 am

Dewey wrote:Yes. People used up a lot of vacation time during the rut. :lol:

That must be a coincidence :think: :lol:
Make It Happen
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:09 pm

This is an interesting chart I put together of my season of deer sighted.. A couple things to note is that I included days not hunted as the lowest point of the graph.

One would think that December sucks... And it does :lol: But not as much as the chart shows cause I only hunted 6 days the whole moth of Dec. in comparison to 20 days in November and 13 days in the short month of Sept. Also interesting to note that the most action was in January... If you look at this chart it conflicts with the chart the O/P posted. A big reason is the obvious one that Dewey posted. Other guys are concentration on November. My best hunting all year was by far during the 7 days of January... Which is often the case, but hardly anyone one else is hunting so charts don't pick that up.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:28 pm

The majority of kills will occur when the majority is hunting.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:32 pm

I really have no clue. But December bowhunting on public in WI seems hard. But Dan you still prefer Late Dec Over Mid Sept ?????????

Thank God for the Rut
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:57 pm

john1984 wrote:I really have no clue. But December bowhunting on public in WI seems hard. But Dan you still prefer Late Dec Over Mid Sept ?????????

Thank God for the Rut

Usually if your on the right property about Jan. 1st starts the best hunting. I like early September, and rut... But clearly my best hunting for mature animals was January.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:58 pm

dan wrote:
john1984 wrote:I really have no clue. But December bowhunting on public in WI seems hard. But Dan you still prefer Late Dec Over Mid Sept ?????????

Thank God for the Rut

Usually if your on the right property about Jan. 1st starts the best hunting. I like early September, and rut... But clearly my best hunting for mature animals was January.

I should say public can be hard at that time and it really depends on the exact property and the food sources at that time of year.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:07 pm

dan wrote:This is an interesting chart I put together of my season of deer sighted.. A couple things to note is that I included days not hunted as the lowest point of the graph.

One would think that December sucks... And it does :lol: But not as much as the chart shows cause I only hunted 6 days the whole moth of Dec. in comparison to 20 days in November and 13 days in the short month of Sept. Also interesting to note that the most action was in January... If you look at this chart it conflicts with the chart the O/P posted. A big reason is the obvious one that Dewey posted. Other guys are concentration on November. My best hunting all year was by far during the 7 days of January... Which is often the case, but hardly anyone one else is hunting so charts don't pick that up.

I heard you talking on a podcast this week. You talked about late season bedding and how it’s often primary bedding too. Do you find it easier to hunt the more concentrated bedding areas in late season as opposed to early season? And where do you find the bedding in late season where you are? I heard you say that your cattail swamps are frozen over.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:18 pm

I think in Jan. it really helps having the snow on the ground! You can see the movement better, is areas you may not without snow. I have always just struggle with finding good bucks at that time of the year. I assume historical data helps a ton with this?

Dan is right...I was literally all alone hunting in Jan.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:43 pm

Divergent wrote:
dan wrote:This is an interesting chart I put together of my season of deer sighted.. A couple things to note is that I included days not hunted as the lowest point of the graph.

I heard you talking on a podcast this week. You talked about late season bedding and how it’s often primary bedding too. Do you find it easier to hunt the more concentrated bedding areas in late season as opposed to early season? And where do you find the bedding in late season where you are? I heard you say that your cattail swamps are frozen over.

Sometimes around swamps it can be different, which may be a little contradictory to what I said in the podcast. Keep in mind I usually have an area in mind or a certain situation when talking... This year I was paying attention to all the big bucks at the conservancy that showed at the end of the year and when I moved in I was caught off guard cause the bedding changed 180 cause the swamp froze and deer migrated to thick pines on high ground there is certainly "some" bedding there year round, but the good primary stuff is generally in the swamp... Now, with that said, on Daves farm I have big bucks show up in january and you can track them in the snow right back to the best primary beds the big boys use all year.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:24 pm

I really feel like I’m missing out on so much intel without snow. I might just have to move the wife and kids up north. :lol:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:30 pm

Divergent wrote:I really feel like I’m missing out on so much intel without snow. I might just have to move the wife and kids up north. :lol:

I feel the same way at times, but come late season when you see those guys bundled up with frozen snot stuck to there face. While we are in a hoodie basking in the sun makes me feel better about our situation down here :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:32 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Divergent wrote:I really feel like I’m missing out on so much intel without snow. I might just have to move the wife and kids up north. :lol:

I feel the same way at times, but come late season when you see those guys bundled up with frozen snot stuck to there face. While we are in a hoodie basking in the sun makes me feel better about our situation down here :lol:

:lol: True. I have to hand it to those guys who are typically bow hunting in subzero temps.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”