Hunting Beast Kill Chart

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: Hunting Beast Kill Chart

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:28 pm

I like the idea of a chart if all things are equal and they rarely are. We all know any and every buck will become a little more active during that pre rut-rut stage and that’s when most guys hit it pretty hard. The majority I would say anyways. I also would like to see a chart showing the amount of hunts put in by those who killed during those months. I imagine that chart would look similar. Pretty cool tho and thanks for taking the time to do that. Is definitely some things that can be taken away from this

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:06 am

Rut happens :D
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:29 am

Cool chart. Going back over the years would show little to no difference in distribution of kills. I love hunting early season, pre-rut, rut and late season. My highest odds for a kill are during the rut.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:48 am

Proven fact Bucks are on their feet more during the rut. Bedding areas are a great bet during the rut.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Corsair7

Unread postby Corsair7 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:38 am

Tying into the idea from Bowhunter4life of seeing charts showing the amount of hunts put in by those who killed. This could possibly happen if there was some sort of standard info you put in the posts on the Buck Lineup threads each year before posting pictures and story.

Maybe start the post off with:

Date killed - MM/DD
Location - State & (bed kill, ag field, hill country, woods, etc.)
Firearm/Archery
Time of day - morning/afternoon/evening
Days hunted - total# of days in the woods
Days/hours spent preseason scouting - total# of time spent scouting

I'm sure we'd see that most Beast members will have spent the time in the days/hours preseason scouting. I think it would just be an interesting thing to see and be able to make charts like the one fireforeffect made.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:43 am

Corsair7 wrote:Tying into the idea from Bowhunter4life of seeing charts showing the amount of hunts put in by those who killed. This could possibly happen if there was some sort of standard info you put in the posts on the Buck Lineup threads each year before posting pictures and story.

Maybe start the post off with:

Date killed - MM/DD
Location - State & (bed kill, ag field, hill country, woods, etc.)
Firearm/Archery
Time of day - morning/afternoon/evening
Days hunted - total# of days in the woods
Days/hours spent preseason scouting - total# of time spent scouting

I'm sure we'd see that most Beast members will have spent the time in the days/hours preseason scouting. I think it would just be an interesting thing to see and be able to make charts like the one fireforeffect made.

I keep my own personal hunting log of all this info. Plus a couple other things.

The one flaw I see with the chart is that it is probably shifted a couple of days to the right. A lot of guys don't put up kill zone posts the same day they kill their buck, especially on an evening hunt.

I shot my buck on a sunday but never had time, or internet to write a kill zone post until the following Friday.

I do agree, any vacation used during the season, is most likely, and probably should be used during the rut.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:50 am

I'm not one bit surprised at what the chart shows.
If the chart was meant to prove or disprove early season bed hunting then we really need to do a chart on Dan's success. He is the one teaching the technique.
Many people who spend time on this site are in the learning stages of bed hunting. Many people still take their vacations based on the rut. Many people are just playing with the idea and are not dedicated to early season.
There is no doubt in my mind that the things that Dan teaches are effective. I believe as time goes on the chart will shift with a spike during the first week of opening season. Also, The hunting methods on this site are methods that are used through an entire season, not just early season. Maybe we should do another chart on how peoples success rates have changed since joining the Beast. I know I have learned a lot since joining and I also hear from other hunters who have improved based on some of the ideas I have shared. In the end, I believe that is one of the most important stats.

In Talking with Dan years ago he told me that many people focus on the early season bed hunting but he always believed that true Beast hunting was getting it done at any time of the season on any land type under any conditions.
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:27 am

magicman54494 wrote:I'm not one bit surprised at what the chart shows.
If the chart was meant to prove or disprove early season bed hunting then we really need to do a chart on Dan's success. He is the one teaching the technique.
Many people who spend time on this site are in the learning stages of bed hunting. Many people still take their vacations based on the rut. Many people are just playing with the idea and are not dedicated to early season.
There is no doubt in my mind that the things that Dan teaches are effective. I believe as time goes on the chart will shift with a spike during the first week of opening season. Also, The hunting methods on this site are methods that are used through an entire season, not just early season. Maybe we should do another chart on how peoples success rates have changed since joining the Beast. I know I have learned a lot since joining and I also hear from other hunters who have improved based on some of the ideas I have shared. In the end, I believe that is one of the most important stats.

In Talking with Dan years ago he told me that many people focus on the early season bed hunting but he always believed that true Beast hunting was getting it done at any time of the season on any land type under any conditions.

Oh no! I am not intending to prove or disprove anything. I merely posted the chart because I thought you guys would find it interesting. The tactics discussed on this site are far and away the most practical and realistic tactics to be found in my opinion. The data is skewed toward the rut for obvious reasons. Hope you guys don't think that I am skeptical.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:44 am

Not surprised by the findings. I think most of us spend more time in the woods around the rut. A lot of us take our "rut vacation" to hunt all week, but many are limited to weekends in early season due to work conflicts. Combine that with warmer weather and you get the results we see.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:45 am

I personally think there are a lot of other variables that contribute to lower October success rates. I think a lot of times a hunter might not even be in a bucks core area early season then come rut is getting all these pics and sightings and assumes it's the only way to go. Cover also plays a big part early, the woods are quiet everything is leafed out. A buck could walk by at 15 yards and u would never know it. And the big one for me in hill country is its hot your sweaty and u just can't get your scent out of there. A ridge side after leaf drop is a whole new set of rules as early season.

I enjoy rut hunting and setting up a perfect ambush. That's what's most fun for me. But I'm not foolish enough to believe it's the only time or question the effectiveness of getting close to the bucks door. I also don't believe u recieve extra credit for shooting one outside the rut. Easiest buck I ever got on was 2nd week of the season.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
docwaters

Unread postby docwaters » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:47 am

Here in Kentucky, every year half of our total harvest happens opening weekend of modern gun season. We have a long archery season, first weekend in September through MLK weekend in January.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:29 am

I think the highest odd hunts are during the first weeks of the opener and the during the rut. I also prefer the last two weeks of every month over the first two weeks.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:17 pm

I don’t think I even posted my kills til the end of the season.

1) Hit but didn’t recover on oct 30th travel corridor at 10am
2) Killed on November 16th travel corridor at 1030am
3) Hit but didn’t recover on November 24th travel corridor at 1045am
4) Killed Jan 25th trail into bedding at 945am
5) Killed Feb 6th feeding on field edge 620am

My kills went up 1000% on public since joining the beast. I think as Dan said in one of his most recent podcast interviews... You should find your beds and work out from them. Approximately 95% of your daylight activity is going to be within a certain distance of bedding, so it only makes sense to setup near them.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Divergent wrote:I don’t think I even posted my kills til the end of the season.

My kills went up 1000% on public since joining the beast. I think as Dan said in one of his most recent podcast interviews... You should find your beds and work out from them. Approximately 95% of your daylight activity is going to be within a certain distance of bedding, so it only makes sense to setup near them.

Everything is AM. I'm just curious. Do you hunting alot more mornings than evenings, or just have better luck in the mornings?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:35 pm

tgreeno wrote:
Divergent wrote:I don’t think I even posted my kills til the end of the season.

Everything is AM. I'm just curious. Do you hunting alot more mornings than evenings, or just have better luck in the mornings?

I hunt both morning and evening. My buddy had the same results as me too. We see movement in the evenings til leaf drop, but after that you might as well hang it up. Even during the rut, we don’t typically see any movement. However, I do see more late morning movement. Cams usually tell me the same exact thing. There’s a good bit of movement in the AM and some movement just after dark. Most of the night pics are around 10-11pm. We are always hunting close to bedding. Cams are sporadic...some near bedding, some near sign. We have actually discussed hunting til lunch and trying to do mini drives or scout the remainder of the day.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”