Temperature and Bedding Locations

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Divergent
500 Club

Re: Temperature and Bedding Locations

Unread postby Divergent » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:08 pm

TNstalker wrote:
Divergent wrote:
TNstalker wrote:Love those numbers. We have used some tools to do a few readings. I will watch video when I have time. It seems like though a lot of times u really have to look at the spot before u realize the power there of the temp change. Or sit in it! Big pines change it a lot then adding in the cedars help even more.

The cedar seems to provide a more dense shade. Mature cedar limbs start closer to the ground vs mature pine limbs. Theres so much light blocked out that you rarely see any growth under them. This bare ground keeps cooler in the summer too. I have seen first hand how deer use pines in high wind or rainy conditions.

I do see ground cover in mature pines in areas depends on spacing of trees and which slopes they are on. Most of the time it’s real patchy cover.

You’re right about that. I really like pines around 15-20ft tall that haven’t been select cut. They provide that great combination of cover and are open just enough to see through them. I like setting up in these during the rut. You’ll usually find a good trail cutting across all of the doe trails.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”