Scouting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

EarlyBird

Scouting

Unread postby EarlyBird » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:56 am

When will you stop looking for buck beds/stand sites as you get closer to the season? or How long will you let an area rest before the season starts?

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Scouting

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:32 am

I scout when the opportunity is there. Honestly, I think I have scouted for deer in the woods at some point in every month of the year. Obviously finding beds now would be better than the day before you planned to hunt it, but don't shy away from a chance to learn something.

I drive almost 4 hours one way to the area I predominantly hunt. Not uncommon for me to scout two mornings and hunt one evening if I don't have anything good for the morning. And my scouting is usually the best stuff I can find on a map, but don't want to do a blind hunt. All intel for the future.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:34 am

If you have never scouted an area go for it, what do you have to lose? Maybe worst case scenario you find out its not even worth wasting a hunt on...I would rather waste a scouting trip than waste a hunt. And if it was an active bed, I think it would take most of us a few sits to learn how bucks travel to and from anyhow. A lot of hunters on here are big on observation sits...They get in a stand and observe from a distance to try and figure out whats going on.

Of course if you already know where the beds are and have a pretty good handle on movement you probably want to stay out of the area completely until its the best time to go in and hunt that bed.

Here is a discussion on Bump and Dump, where a buck is intentionally bumped from his bed
http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23489

Here are some discussions on observation sits
http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.ph ... vation+sit
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:30 am

The answer is never.

I scout year around! I try to do the lion's share of my off-season scouting Jan thru May. I won't enter areas I've already "set-up". But I'm always checking out new areas. Once green-up starts to happen, bedding is more difficult to see.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:18 am

EarlyBird wrote:When will you stop looking for buck beds/stand sites as you get closer to the season? or How long will you let an area rest before the season starts?

The further you go with these tactics, the more you keep searching. Its never enough.

That can vary depending on the situation but pre season id like 1-2 weeks of cool down.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:35 am

Once everything greens up ill stop looking for beds. But then I'll get out glassing and shining through the summer. I try to stay out of my spots as soon as I find them and prep trees untill I hunt it.

But like said before once the beast has a hold of you. You can't spend enough time in the woods. :lol:
EarlyBird

Unread postby EarlyBird » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:32 pm

Thanks for all the responses, very helpful.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”