Climbing Stands

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

EarlyBird

Climbing Stands

Unread postby EarlyBird » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:01 am

Hi everyone, new to the beast, what a great site and a ton of new information. I recently bought 110 acres in Ohio and I am new to Hill Country Hunting, I did buy Dan's video on Hill country hunting (awesome btw). I have found several Buck beds on my property and recently kicked up a very large bodied deer, when I investigated his bed it was very large with a couple of very big rubs close by. My question is does anyone use climbing stands to hunt beast style? if so Pro's and Con's. Thanks in advance.

JAK
500 Club

Re: Climbing Stands

Unread postby JAK » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:51 am

If i have trees suitable for climbers I prefer to us them . Pros: I feel there lighter and easier to set up
Cons: your limited to limbless trees. Finding enough cover could be a issue in the limbless trees as well.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:39 am

When scouting I'll mark which beds i can hunt using a climber. 90% of the time i'm taking stand and sticks. Only reason i have the hand climber is i got a good deal on it so feel obligated to use at a couple times a year.
jteulker
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/josh.teulker/p ... 02133&sour

Unread postby jteulker » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:42 am

Ive killed my 2 biggest deer with a climbing by slipping in on them. Going to try out the hang on for the first time this year!! Welcome to the form you will enjoy it.
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:49 am

Climbing stands tend to be susceptible to emitting loud metallic sounds. Also, since they require limbless trees not often found near bedding areas they aren't the popular choice. I still own a couple of climbing stands but find they get used less and less as I learn more about HB style hunting.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:53 am

Hill country PA I would say over 50% of trees I can use a climber. If going in not knowing what tree Ill climb I don't typically want to limit myself. But my Summit is great for long rut sits. Not the most comfortable carry but a mile or so not terrible. I can climb just as quietly as sticks and prob twice as fast that one is the bs part that gets thrown out there. Another great tool in the asenal but if I had to own only 1 stand I would go hang on.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
EarlyBird

Unread postby EarlyBird » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks for all the info. I currently have a summit climber and I was debating on buying stand and sticks. I have trees I can use a climber on near the beds that I found, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:07 pm

EarlyBird wrote:Thanks for all the info. I currently have a summit climber and I was debating on buying stand and sticks. I have trees I can use a climber on near the beds that I found, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

If you keep at it, you will eventually run into trees you can't get into. Then, you either get in the wrong tree and chance not killing the buck, or you get a hang on.

Nothing worse than getting a mile back in to a spot only to realize you can't hunt exactly where you need to be.

I think my climber is one of the most comfortable stands made. But I didn't use it once last year. I'd rather kill the buck.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:16 pm

EarlyBird wrote:Thanks for all the info. I currently have a summit climber and I was debating on buying stand and sticks. I have trees I can use a climber on near the beds that I found, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

when i hunted with a summit i wrapped an extra layer of duct tape over the cables and the teeth to minimize noise anything that potentially clank and ping should be found in off season. with practice you can use any stand quietly practice makes perfect. create you on system and make it muscle memory.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:12 pm

Welcome! Last year was my first year using a climber tree stand. I really did enjoy using it, I felt very safe in it, and it was extremely comfortable. It was also very bulky for walking through thick stuff, and it was noisy and heavy. I hunted both Big Woods and Marsh With it last year. In the Big Woods I did okay with it finding good trees, but I wasn't on any mature Buck beds either... :think: In the marshes it was very difficult to get to a good Tree close to the edge where the deer travel, too many branches in the way.

I gave the climber back to my friend, and I find myself in need of a hunting method this year, and after some in-depth research I've decided that I'm going to go with a saddle. Here's some good information on that if you're interested in a read.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=43657&hilit=saddle+hunting+pros
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:30 pm

I very rarely can find limbless tree's where I want to set-up. The great thing about a stand/sticks is you can use it in a limbless tree too 8-)

I had a summit, and sold it. But it has everything to do with the type of terrain you're hunting. I'd think in hill country, you would have many more opportunities at "climber" trees.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:00 pm

My issue with the climber is the noise. I don't care how careful you are or how gently you climb...it's making way too much noise... especially rough bark like cherry...which is very common here..

And the limbless tree...

I absolutely never thought my climber was loud or limited my spots....till I got my lone wolf and sticks.

Yes, it's a bit heavier...but IMO carries better (especially with my straps and waist belt) and has a smaller foot print and makes much less noise walking in.

The trees I find myself in now are usually impossible with a climber.

I can't tell you the critters I've seen as I'm setting up the lone wolf too. I hunted from a climber for years and never had that "issue". I actually spotted a coyote a couple years ago as I was about to take the stand off my back at the top. Climbed back down and shot him at 24yds from the ground...he never broke stride and kept coming. Had several mature buck encounters that didn't pan out as well....for me. Lol.

It's one of my better investments...has a learning curve...isn't nearly as quick or comfortable...but the only time I hunt from the climber is opening day of rifle...just because trees aren't such a factor and I know I'm in for a dark to dark and like the rail to shoot...though I've done many dark to darks in my lone wolf.. definitely not as comfy.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:30 pm

JAK wrote:If i have trees suitable for climbers I prefer to us them . Pros: I feel there lighter and easier to set up
Cons: your limited to limbless trees. Finding enough cover could be a issue in the limbless trees as well.

X2
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:00 am

I think the climber verses stand and sticks argument has a lot to do with where you live.
Here in southern Indiana where I live it is mostly big woods with big climber friendly trees.
I can think of of only one instance over the years where I absolutely had to have a hang on stand to be in the right tree.
I have gone to great lengths in the past to sound proof my climbing stands.
A friend of mine got a Lone Wolf climber a few years ago. I couldn't believe how quiet it was. I always did the best I could sound proofing the stands I already had, until recently that is.
I am currently awaiting the arrival of my very own Lone Wolf sit and climb.
As soon as it gets here I am gonna rub it, and pet it, and name it George.
:violence-bowandarrow:
EarlyBird

Unread postby EarlyBird » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:00 am

Thanks for all the replies! Great info!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”