Crossing off areas to scout on Public Parcel

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wetfoot
500 Club

Re: Crossing off areas to scout on Public Parcel

Unread postby Wetfoot » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:29 am

Hawthorne wrote:I tend to shy away from public that has a ton of Small private pieces around it. Say in the 10-20 acre size. Anyone else do this or should I still look? I like seeing the bigger size pieces of private surrounding it

I've been scouting a parcel around 2000 acres that has farms east and west with 3 camps on the North end and several large properties around the edges. There is very light pressure in there due to multiple interior cedar swamp transitions. A small river also runs through that area creating an additional barrier. As far as I can tell, there's a group of 3 bowhunters that are older and baiting on the whole piece. At least, during bow season. I rarely bump into other bow hunters in these types of areas.

ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:10 am

JoeRE wrote:
Kraftd wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:I tend to shy away from public that has a ton of Small private pieces around it. Say in the 10-20 acre size. Anyone else do this or should I still look? I like seeing the bigger size pieces of private surrounding it

This has been a lesson I'm learning too slow. Several times a season lately I seem to get waylayed by people coming into public off of private that I didn't anticipate.

Yea a big picture observation - the more parcelized (smaller properties) an area is, the higher the hunting pressure on average. You can see that inside just one state, for instance Wisconsin, eastern side of the state has smaller properties and larger pressure while the western side has larger properties and lower pressure on average. Good observation.

Makes complete sense.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:20 pm

I’ve seen both. If the property has a green field that backs up to public they tend to hunt their side of the property and there’s not too much pressure during the first of the season. If it’s just access, I usually hunt about 1/2 mile away or at least two ridges over. In big woods, they really prefer being somewhat close to private from what I’ve seen.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”