Hair in beds?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Divergent
500 Club

Re: Hair in beds?

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:53 am

BAS4109 wrote:It just seemed like quite a bit of hair. It was in a small area though about the size of a bed.

Here is a pic. You might need to zoom in a bit.

This actually looks pretty matted down. The leaves are discolored and appear flat. In hill country the color of the leaves tend to jump out at me more than anything else. They’ll be faded looking.

IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:49 pm

Hahaha, DaveT1963 and I spent all day in awe yesterday with all the hair Dan’s beds up here have. We don’t find hair in beds much in Texas. In fact I have only found hair in one bed ever. Up here in Wisconsin, dang near EVERY bed had hair in it. Dave said Wisconsin deer must have a rogain in problem.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
BAS4109

Unread postby BAS4109 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:47 am

I have been listening to The Hunting Public podcasts from the beginning and they had a discussion about finding hair in beds. Tons of great info on your podcasts and YouTube channel, thanks guys!

I guess it is more common than I thought. I found another bed today on a hump in a very small swamp. It had some hair in it.

Now I need to find the buck beds. None of these beds have rubs near by. The buck density is low here though.

Are beds on humps in swamps normally used by bucks and does?
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:22 pm

Divergent wrote:
BAS4109 wrote:It just seemed like quite a bit of hair. It was in a small area though about the size of a bed.

Here is a pic. You might need to zoom in a bit.

This actually looks pretty matted down. The leaves are discolored and appear flat. In hill country the color of the leaves tend to jump out at me more than anything else. They’ll be faded looking.

I agree! Looks like a bed that possible hasn’t been used in day a couple days. Good point on color of leaves, I see that from a distance often as well and will catch the eye when you are looking for it in the hills.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:55 pm

IkemanTx wrote:Hahaha, DaveT1963 and I spent all day in awe yesterday with all the hair Dan’s beds up here have. We don’t find hair in beds much in Texas. In fact I have only found hair in one bed ever. Up here in Wisconsin, dang near EVERY bed had hair in it. Dave said Wisconsin deer must have a rogain in problem.

yep it was crazy - used to think I was just a blind Texan - but we were finding hair in beds, along trails, floating in creeks - it was everywhere. You would have to be blind to miss it and I can confirm you WONT find it like that down south.... not exactly sure why but maybe it has to do with deer densities, winter coats, and the fact that we have abundant small creatures active throughout the winter that might use it to build bedding or feed on?

It was a fantastic weekend with Dan for sure. I really want to hunt Wisconsin at some point but to be honest - going back that deep in some of those marshes without through intimate knowledge of them is a bit intimidating for me personally.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”