Follow up shots.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Follow up shots.

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:46 am

I'm curious what you guys do In cases when a follow up shot is needed on a animal. Frankly, I always have struggled with this. I will see him bedded and say to myself just 5 yards closer then he takes off. Or have some brush inbetween the shot so I try to move over a lil for a clear shot and get spotted and he takes off. These are often at ranges I normally wouldn't attempt but in the case of a hit deer I would.

Do you guys let it rip as soon as u get a visual and shoot through brush and such. I'm not saying a shot u know is impossible but certainly not a shot u can make the majority of the time. Just trying to come up with a better plan for if that scenario ever happens again.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Follow up shots.

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:26 am

Very case by case for me. Terrain, Backstop, Positive identification all come into play. My brothers can attest I am not shy to sling one out there on a wounded animal if all of those line up, but I also know all too well how bad blue on blue can be from my days in the army. I'm not usually in your position because I don't stalk much here in the SE I am generally in a treestand so 5 yards closer isn't something I have to worry about.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:42 am

Tufrthnails wrote:Very case by case for me. Terrain, Backstop, Positive identification all come into play. My brothers can attest I am not shy to sling one out there on a wounded animal if all of those line up, but I also know all too well how bad blue on blue can be from my days in the army. I'm not usually in your position because I don't stalk much here in the SE I am generally in a treestand so 5 yards closer isn't something I have to worry about.

I don't stalk eithier just did a poor job of asking the question. The overwhelming majority with this prob is with does. Which is due to the fact I can only shoot em in October and it's often 90+ so I don't let em lay long enough.

Typical situation, following blood jump deer. If the deer didn't suspect it was gonna be followed it does now lol. So I try to loop infront since its watching the back trail which honestly very seldom works for me. I eithier way over shoot it or come up short. But I will eventually catch up and that's where my probs start with the mind games.

It's hard to get in stickbow close heck any weapon close on a very alert wounded deer that suspects it's being followed. Just looking for a better method.
-John Wayne-
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:22 pm

Only time I've shot twice was on deer I had spine busted. Both follow up shots were through the heart at 10 yards or less. Both shots also caused the deer to roll over and broke my arrows.

I guess I could have jumped on them like a wild man wielding my gut knife. After hearing the deer start balling in despair, an arrow through the heart was the fastest best option to end it.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:40 pm

With a wounded deer I will do whatever it takes to speed up the end including taking shots that I would never on a healthy deer just to slow it down so I that I can get close enough to kill it quick. Its not pleasant but its just a matter of finishing as quick as possible what I started.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:02 pm

Confirmed gut shot fling away. Unknown stay still and observe. Confirmed miss or muscle hit curse myself out and make sure I don't take a stupid follow up.
Edit that is advise immediately from the tree. Tracking I would pretty much always back off with a bow.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:13 pm

once that deer is bleeding im going to empty my quiver or gun rather not risk it im not taking brown down shots but if i can see vitals im shooting. my big 9 2 years ago got one threw his neck like that i didnt know it at time but i heart shot him tracked him about 80 yards and see a big buck bedded behind a log with his head up so i took a knee and fired nothing. then then i zoomed in my scope and saw the tongue hanging out. turns out his rack was stuck in a tree. but if that deer jumped up with adrenaline going your going to have a fun track. ive helped people chase down gut shot deer for miles its quite the adventure. i just hate seeing animals suffer and do my best to kill them quick even if i can see blood flowing from the lungs im still shooting it threw the boiler again. my goal was to hill it and thats what im doing knock on wood i only lost 2 deer in 25 years.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:24 pm

JoeRE wrote:With a wounded deer I will do whatever it takes to speed up the end including taking shots that I would never on a healthy deer just to slow it down so I that I can get close enough to kill it quick. Its not pleasant but its just a matter of finishing as quick as possible what I started.

Same here. Thankfully I haven’t had to do this for many years. Last time I had to use my knife because I wasn’t carrying a weapon. Sucks being in that position but you have to do what ever it takes to finish the job.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:25 pm

JoeRE wrote:With a wounded deer I will do whatever it takes to speed up the end including taking shots that I would never on a healthy deer just to slow it down so I that I can get close enough to kill it quick. Its not pleasant but its just a matter of finishing as quick as possible what I started.

I think the same, it's just when that time comes I convince myself I can get a lil closer or look for a perfect shot that prob 99% of the time doesnt exist lol. Just hard for me to let loose a shot I know in my heart of hearts is iffy. So the wild goose chase continues which is worse. thank u guys for all the honest answers if it happens again think I'm gonna let em fly in the long run its the same thing
-John Wayne-
SRWbowhunter

Unread postby SRWbowhunter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Exactly how I am
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:09 pm

Dewey wrote:Same here. Thankfully I haven’t had to do this for many years. Last time I had to use my knife because I wasn’t carrying a weapon. Sucks being in that position but you have to do what ever it takes to finish the job.

Good god man! Lucky for the deer you had a knife, otherwise would have had to dragged em to the creeks edge and drown him :lol:
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:39 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:Same here. Thankfully I haven’t had to do this for many years. Last time I had to use my knife because I wasn’t carrying a weapon. Sucks being in that position but you have to do what ever it takes to finish the job.

Good god man! Lucky for the deer you had a knife, otherwise would have had to dragged em to the creeks edge and drown him :lol:

Actually it was a doe and the last one I killed many years ago. After tracking for an entire day I finally caught up with her. She was weak and bedded when I snuck up behind her and quickly deflated both lungs with my knife. She died very quickly in less than 30 seconds. First rifle shot was very low and hit her front leg at the knee joint. Still amazed I got her. I feel very bad to this day how that went down but at least I was able to end her suffering.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

Actually it was a doe and the last one I killed many years ago. After tracking for an entire day I finally caught up with her. She was weak and bedded when I snuck up behind her and quickly deflated both lungs with my knife. She died very quickly in less than 30 seconds. First rifle shot was very low and hit her front leg at the knee joint. Still amazed I got her. I feel very bad to this day how that went down but at least I was able to end her suffering.

Didn't mean anything bad about it Dewey. And applaud your effort for doing what whatever it takes to end any suffering, I'm sure a lot of hunters including myself would have turned back to go get a weapon only prolonging the suffering. Just struck my funny bone when I was talking about not being able to get close enough for a high odds finish the job shot, meanwhile u are able to slip in with some OJ cutlery and finish the job. I know it's not a laughing matter and certainly meant no offense. I apologize if it came across that way.
-John Wayne-
NH Teufelhund

Unread postby NH Teufelhund » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:43 pm

Like many others I agree with this approach. A side benefit is you get some knowledge about lethality and penetration. Say the deer has some leaves and twigs about a foot away from vitals but otherwise it’s a clean shot? If it’s a safe shot to take and it’s also morally responsible bc it’s a follow up, you get to see what that brush did in terms of affecting your accuracy and penetration.

I’ve always wondered about that type of shot. I’ve never taken one even though I had one at 20 yards. I’ve had guys tell me I should have fired away, especially bc I had a fixed blade broadhead and I would have punched right through, but I don’t know. Follow up shots are a nice way to test that out.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:17 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

Didn't mean anything bad about it Dewey. And applaud your effort for doing what whatever it takes to end any suffering, I'm sure a lot of hunters including myself would have turned back to go get a weapon only prolonging the suffering. Just struck my funny bone when I was talking about not being able to get close enough for a high odds finish the job shot, meanwhile u are able to slip in with some OJ cutlery and finish the job. I know it's not a laughing matter and certainly meant no offense. I apologize if it came across that way.

No offense taken at all. Just wanted to use my experience as an example that we need to do whatever it takes. This was a unique situation because I got permission to track on private land but could not carry my gun. I was hoping she was down but when she wasn't I had to take desperate measures.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”