J Hooks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

elk yinzer
500 Club

J Hooks

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:08 am

Are there old threads on the j hook concept guys could link or could we start a new discussion?

I've been hunting bedding areas for 20 years. I've watched dozens of deer bed. I've tracked bucks in the snow. I learned about the beast last year and tried to pay closer attention for it. I vaguely think I've seen a couple deer do it but still don't fully understand it.

How is the hook oriented in terms of the wind and his bed? This is the big one I'm not sure I understand.

What size is the hook? Is it literally a big sweeping J or sometimes just a small backtrack of sorts? I've certainly seen the backtrack but always took that more as fine tuning their positioning.

Do all deer do it or just mature bucks?

Does it apply equally to all terrains?

How do you set up to hunt it?

Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Dpierce72
500 Club

Re: J Hooks

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:11 am

This thread was good enough I had it book marked. Title: The J Hook

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19659
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:36 am

Success Rates - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11663
Bump n Dump - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23489
Morning Thermals & Stand Placement - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41496
Late for Bed (Success Story) - viewtopic.php?f=287&t=37873
Wind Based Morning Hunts - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35397
Greg Litzinger Interview (Mountain Bed Hunting) - https://www.facebook.com/TruthFromTheSt ... 099579104/
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:28 am

Basically, most mature bucks enter there bed from down wind. There does not have to be a hook, but often they come from a direction that is not down wind so at some point they turn and head to bed. That spot / location can vary. J-hooking is mostly a hill terrain topic cause hooking is basically from the bottom of the hill and is more predictable. But it can and does happen in all terrains.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:31 am

I wish a picture could have captured the scene in 1 shot....

I have a buck bed behind my buddies camp that has a J hooked rub line leading to it. It was really interesting to see in person and know that's what I was looking at. They only get 50-75yds below the bed before hooking in...but terrain and an old logging road and a pine transition line may dictate that distance in this spot.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:57 am

I'm glad this came up. I have a couple beds that are going to be near impossible to get to in the evening so I've been pondering a morning hunt. It's probably higher odds that he'll bust me but it might be my only shot on some beds. I think my biggest concern is not knowing where he'll be when I'm walking in. With no specific destination food source in the mountains, he could feed anywhere and I may bump him.

I have some reading to do. Thanks for the links DK.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:30 am

dan wrote:Basically, most mature bucks enter there bed from down wind. There does not have to be a hook, but often they come from a direction that is not down wind so at some point they turn and head to bed. That spot / location can vary. J-hooking is mostly a hill terrain topic cause hooking is basically from the bottom of the hill and is more predictable. But it can and does happen in all terrains.

Dan, have you ever observed bucks in hill country dropping down into bedding from above if thermals are shifting upward overpowering the prevailing wind?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:07 am

Josh_S wrote:
dan wrote:Basically, most mature bucks enter there bed from down wind. There does not have to be a hook, but often they come from a direction that is not down wind so at some point they turn and head to bed. That spot / location can vary. J-hooking is mostly a hill terrain topic cause hooking is basically from the bottom of the hill and is more predictable. But it can and does happen in all terrains.

Dan, have you ever observed bucks in hill country dropping down into bedding from above if thermals are shifting upward overpowering the prevailing wind?

In rut I seen it once or twice... But most of the time bucks are bedding before daylight or within the 1st 30 minutes when air currents are going down.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:37 am

Josh_S wrote:

I have seen some people say they witnessed this but the buck passed by or walked through the bed, walked 20-40 yards and turned to head back to the bed. Same principle but very situational

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”