Cattails in Fields

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mathewshooter

Cattails in Fields

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:44 am

Has anyone ever found a big buck bedding in a small little wet spot where cattails stick out into a field? The reason I ask is because last fall I was driving around right before dark and saw a big buck in a field standing right next to and outcropping of cattails. The whole cattail area was only about an acre or two in size but I figured that buck could lay in there with the wind at his back while looking out into the open field. It seemed like a perfect spot for him to bed. It was on private land so I couldnt investigate it myself

I take my Bowhunting seriously
Jeff G
500 Club

Re: Cattails in Fields

Unread postby Jeff G » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:49 am

Sounds like an overlooked spot. I’ve seen bedding like this. You can get more intel by looking at the spot on google earth to confirm any trails in catails leading to the bed.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:57 pm

That is the type of stuff I look for in farm country. Those fingers that jut into farm fields are a magnet for bedding. Islands too of course.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:48 pm

Cattails usually mean water. Unless there is high ground in the patch, I wouldn't expect a deer to be bedded in there unless under extreme pressure and only for a short time.

But like was said, those weedy drain ditches and such in fields can hold them. Sometimes you wouldn't think they'd hold a rabbit let alone a big buck.

Biggest problem is hunting them. They typically have an incredible sight advantage...and theyll lay there till dark and take 3 steps and they are feeding in the crops.

Can't tell you how many buck we've had lay in such places as we push a piece and we walk the field to the truck and there he goes across the wide open field jumped like a bunny. But, my guys always forget about those times and won't deliberately swing around those pieces and try to send em into the push.

I really picked up on it small game hunting. Just difficult to do anything with.

I do "moleste" them on purpose sometimes and try to get them from laying in those pieces in archery season...

Certain ones can be good for rut cruising too.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:26 pm

Lockdown wrote:That is the type of stuff I look for in farm country. Those fingers that jut into farm fields are a magnet for bedding. Islands too of course.

Yep... That is not surprising to me at all. This is the kind of area I find the majority of bucks on farm land.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:02 am

dan wrote:
Lockdown wrote:That is the type of stuff I look for in farm country. Those fingers that jut into farm fields are a magnet for bedding. Islands too of course.

Yep... That is not surprising to me at all. This is the kind of area I find the majority of bucks on farm land.

Majority of the pics I sent to you for the farm DVD were from this exact scenario. Although they were wooded drainage fingers, no cattails.

A nice finger with cattails and some trees surrounded by corn is perfect for a big buck IMHO. They can be hard to hunt though.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:17 am

That’s is classic bedding. He’s got everything he needs there. He’s got cover and food and maybe water in the middle of the cats. If there is corn in that field, he’s got a perfect escape route. I’d focus on scouting those cats this spring if you can. The only problem is that they can be tough to hunt.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:35 am

I gravitate to any cattails in small potholes, lower field edges or really anywhere! I always find good bedding.

I just found a bunch of beds in some cattails less than 50 yards from the road last week.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:10 am

#1 rule in farm country is: "highest and lowest elevations"

Highest meaning the leeward sides of the highest ground... Might be only a 10 foot elevation change...

Lowest means the lowest area that is just above water.

These two areas along with transitions, and especially where they intersect with transitions are by far the best areas to look for buck bedding in farm country.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:15 am

Thanks guys. It looks like I'll have to look for more of these types of spots. I can hunt this particular one but only on the end opposite the field. Where the field begins is the end of the public land and the guy who owns it wont let anyone on there. He gets pissed if you're within 50 yards of his fence.
I take my Bowhunting seriously

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”